neil100

Battery Chargers for wfp.
« on: December 19, 2005, 09:49:40 pm »
Do you just buy a standard car battery charger for the leisure battery for wfp?

I have been supplied with an 85 amp leisure battery with my van set up,What works best and any recommendations?

Regards Nel.

Morph

Re: Battery Chargers for wfp.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 09:56:09 pm »
I asked this a few weeks ago and got a lot of confusing advice.  I was nearly convinced I had to buy this special charger costing about £120!

A fool and his money are soon parted

I spoke to a local auto electrical guy, then the caravan accessories place I bought my leisure 85amp battery from, then I went to Halfords and talked to their tekkie staff, I've got one from them it's about £30 it got setting on it for leisure battery.
I'll fish out the product code if I can find it, but that's all you need. 

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 11:01:30 pm »
an inteligent charger is all you need, one with an automatic cutoff.

Mine is one that is suitable for a leisure battery, I have no choice as to whether or not it is on boost or trickle, I plug it in and a red light comes on to say it is charging.
In the morning there is a red light on to say it is charged!

Better still, if you are using a van mount setup, get yourself sorted with a split charge relay on the van itself, then you no longer have to worry about the battery being charged or going flat again ;)
And you should be able to get one fitted for not much more than the cost of a decent stand alone battery charger too.

If you are using a trolley or a backpack then you will need a separate charger of course.

On the charger I have, it also said what amp hour batteries it was suitable for.

The bigger and more powerful the battery, then you will need likewise with a charger.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Morph

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 08:09:23 am »
Yep mine has all that on it.  When the battery is fully charged it automatically switches off and goes to trickle if you want, I bought it because it's easy to use.
Go to Halfords mate.  they're about £30
My battery is on a split relay too, but that isn't enough.  You'll still eventually need a charger.  Unless you drive for an hour down the motorway in between every job, you are draining more power out of your leisure battery than your alternator (via the relay) can put back in over time.

poles apart

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 08:01:28 am »
I was nearly talked into buying an expensive charger (£150) but opted for a £40 automatic cut out from Halfords. I noticed that it cut out before the battery was at full charge. I switched to a £4.99 trickle charger and leave each battery on charge for about 3 days.

I've got 3 leisure batteries @110 amps and one is always on charge with two on the trailer. This is the way they are charged if you take them to an auto electrical suppliers. I don't have any problems now and I get longer life between charges.

Rod

Morph

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 08:55:48 am »
Yep, the one I got from Halfords cuts out just before fully charged, to protect the battery.  Then it automatically switches to trickle charge, little light shows when fully charged, little light shows when trickle is on.  £30.