AuRavelling79

Autobrush arrived!
« on: December 07, 2005, 06:27:55 pm »
My 12" Autobrush arrived from Peter Fogwill today. Looks a simple but clever bit of kit. Will try it out tomorrow and tell you how I got on.
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

Re: Autobrush arrived!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 08:29:04 pm »
It's very good indeed! Well impressed!

I used it on one of my commercials and then on a domestic and the on off switch works well every time. A good water saver and time saver too.

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 08:58:50 pm »
Hi Malc

Autobrush?  ???

Cheers

Gargaax

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 04:25:11 pm »
What is this autobrush??

I tried Googling it but the only info was from the patent office but that didnt go into any details.  Can someone supply a photo please and describe how it works please?

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 04:51:18 pm »

It's peter Fogwill's new brush... looks great to me :)

Here.. have a look

http://www.window-tools.com/auto.htm

Cheers

Andrew

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 05:07:26 pm »
Yup! By tapping the left hand side of the brush against the frame  or side masonry the water flow is switched on - you then clean the window from top left and finishing bottom right where you tap the right hand side of the brush to switch the water flow off.

Early days but I reckon I save about 10%/15% on water and am correspondingly quicker too. (I use a trolley)

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 05:20:41 pm »
Malc.. I am impressed.

Are you saying that you are 10 to 15% faster with the autobrush?

Andrew

Ben Walker

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 05:51:24 pm »
I was going to go for the trigger option, fixing trigger to bottom of my pole and therefore regulate the water at a touch.

however, i also wanted to have just one pole (unger 5 section)

I could attach trigger to bottom of pole, BUT...
Would be carrying a big weight around and having perhaps loads of loose pipe between trigger and brush when doing lower windows. Not desirable.

With Peter's autobrush, which i have just ordered, i should be able to use length of pole needed (detach lower sections) and go straight to work. no worry about trigger.

Also going to have addable/takeawayable section of 10mm pipe, for changing between occasional high work and the usual not-as-high work. Saves having too much pipe flapping around all the time.

so all in all, autobrush, should be just-the-job

As Peter said "the best way to switch the water on and off is at the brush. all brushes will be like this eventually. ". he might just be right.
cleva!  ;)

ben

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 05:56:03 pm »
The time saving will depend on how often you stop what your doing to turn the water off.  The more you stop to turn off normally the more time you will save.  If you normally don't turn off much then you won't save much time but you will save a lot of water.  

What may be overlooked is the safety aspect,  If you don't turn off normally between windows there is a good chance you are rushing a bit to get the brush back on the glass to save water.  This is when accidents can happen.

Peter Fogwill
www.window-tools.com

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 07:05:56 pm »

What may be overlooked is the safety aspect,  If you don't turn off normally between windows there is a good chance you are rushing a bit to get the brush back on the glass to save water.  This is when accidents can happen.

Peter Fogwill
www.window-tools.com

VERY TRUE Peter...  I usually watch where I put my feet but as I was in a bit of a hurry today I didnt..  Slipped on wet grass and landed in a heap nearly EATING a great big pile of Dog  s.h.i.t. I got the darn stuff in my hair ( wats left of it )  :) 

More seriously though I really hurt my ankle very badly  few weeks ago.. again.. rushing and I put my foot right down an open drainhole. I got badly bruised but I reckon I was lucky to get away with just that much damage.

I will be in touch very soon Peter.

Andrew

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 09:01:49 pm »
If you want to work out the potential savings for youself before ordering a brush simply count out the seconds in your head when the brush is not in contact with the glass, stopping the count when you are washing then resuming the count when off the glass. On the job you are doing, then work out how much litres per min. water usage you have saved. I found that doing this also shows you where you are wasting a lot of time.  ;) and you may not need to fit a bigger supply tank.
Or you could just order one, its an excellent bit of kit, well thought out and simple to operate. Because your not dashing back and to it will also save you a small ammount of time/money  :)

james44

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 11:19:17 pm »
Ben   are you going to pick certain houses, as you are aware you will find that on some houses you could not work with  1 pole the unger would be to long on some bottom houses, tight spaces, as you seen when you came out with me, you talk about switching lengths of pole and hose, you make it sound easy you are in for a learning curve, and could you explain why is it better to switch the water of at the brush, and you no matter which way you do it will still have loose hose flapping about, still easy to combat hold it in your left hand against the pole, i am quite happy with the trigger as i have control at my hand not on  the brush 30ft up
the autobrush is a good idea but i feel quite happy with my setup

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 11:51:43 pm »

VERY TRUE Peter...  I usually watch where I put my feet but as I was in a bit of a hurry today I didnt..  Slipped on wet grass and landed in a heap nearly EATING a great big pile of Dog  s.h.i.t. I got the darn stuff in my hair ( wats left of it )  :) 

More seriously though I really hurt my ankle very badly  few weeks ago.. again.. rushing and I put my foot right down an open drainhole. I got badly bruised but I reckon I was lucky to get away with just that much damage.

I will be in touch very soon Peter.

Andrew

I look forward to hearing from you Andrew,

Peter Fogwill
www.window-tools.com

Ben Walker

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 12:21:33 am »
yeah hi james
i was thinking that myself -that the higher you are up the more clumsy it might be with the auto brush, and hence the trigger would be much better, as per your set-up. Interesting to hear what Peter thinks and i'll see how i get on

I will be doing trad downstairs, wfp up. So the pole will come out the van for the job, and glasgow tennements dictating, mostly i will have three sections of pole but sometimes 4 or 5 (i find the sections come away pretty easily) Or if i'm doing downstairs leaded for example i might hold the brush in my hand.

So unlike the houses i helped you on where two pole worked a treat, i just want one long pole. I just couldn't imagine how to rig up the trigger for this usage.

maybe a trigger at the bottom of the 5 sections (for 30' usage)  

not knocking your system  ;)

ben

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 12:45:49 am »
yeah hi james
i was thinking that myself -that the higher you are up the more clumsy it might be with the auto brush, and hence the trigger would be much better, as per your set-up. Interesting to hear what Peter thinks and i'll see how i get on

ben

Good point.  Like anything else the higher the pole the more awkward things become, but I am sure with a little practice it will be an even greater water saver working at heights, as it takes that bit longer to move the pole from one window to the next.

Peter Fogwill
www.window-tools.com

james44

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 01:33:28 am »
Yes  ben one pole would be ideal, is there a perfect system,, not likely as so many houses differ, i have changed the hose i have on my 30ft  i now have a 10mtr  recoil hose fitted so i now don`t have any hose flapping about anymore will post pics over the weekend, the new unger wfp pole is due  out next month  the buisness  i have been told,

Ben Walker

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 08:25:42 pm »
recoil hose

sounds good,

yeh, like to seee pics

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 04:24:14 pm »
In reply to some points:-

It saves water, especially when moving between windows that are not right next to each other and also when stopping to move the trolley or to change brush-head to a shorter pole to do the downstairs or vice versa.

It saves time and water because you don't have to go back to the trolley to switch off at any time.

The safety aspect of not rushing while the brush is pumping out water is true.

I don't know how beneficial the above would be on a van mounted system. But for me, on the basis that I will continue to use my trolley in the months ahead, it is a marked improvement.

Ben Walker

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 05:28:49 pm »
James, is the recoil hose like this one:
http://www.andwat.co.uk/acatalog/HOSES__HOSEREELS_AND_RECOIL_HOSES.html
The blue recoil hose
looks like it could work well
Ben

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 03:29:43 pm »
why not just pinch the hose when moving from window to window?
lks like a good bit of kit though,, how heavy is it and also how much? could someone let me know lpease