apacheman

30ft or 40 ft water fed pole?
« on: November 29, 2021, 10:05:14 pm »
If I wanted to reach the top of the roof apex (near chimney) for a 2 storey house, would I need a 30 ft or 40 ft water fed pole?

I am thinking of getting this one will it work with any backpack?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Window-Cleaning-Cleaner-Equipment-Photovoltaic/dp/B098QCN64L/?th=1

Splash & dash

Re: 30ft or 40 ft water fed pole?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:22:05 pm »
Depending on height pitch and slope of land  probably 40 , 30 won’t reach many of our jobs

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 08:18:42 am »
Depending on height pitch and slope of land  probably 40 , 30 won’t reach many of our jobs

We cleaned some solar panels on the roof of a 2 story (ground and first floor) 2010 Taylor Wimpey built home a couple of years ago. I only just reached the top of the highest solar panel row with my 40' pole. I had the advantage of the ground sloping toward the house. Had the ground sloped the other way, then I won't have reached those panels.

Another customer has just added bedrooms into the roof line of his 1950's  built house. I was just able to reach the velux window in the roof line from the driveway with my 40' pole fully extended. That velux window isn't at the top of the roof's ridge. It's a little higher than 1/2 way down.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 08:26:13 am »
If I wanted to reach the top of the roof apex (near chimney) for a 2 storey house, would I need a 30 ft or 40 ft water fed pole?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Window-Cleaning-Cleaner-Equipment-Photovoltaic/dp/B098QCN64L/?th=1

You ll need at least a 40ft pole....

Not worth buying a pole that's not hi modulus carbon fibre
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 08:29:10 am »
The reason why is anything but a decent hi mod pole will be very difficult to control at that height,bend a lot and it'll be heavy risking injury to your shoulders
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 08:40:01 am »

It's not the weight of the poles that is the issue here. It's the weight of the brush at the end that's the problem. How do you envisage assembling this pole to reach the height you want?

When we first started wfp we used Unger Teleplus aluminium telescopic poles with Vikan ovals.  Those poles on their own were lite but when the brush was added they were very difficult to manage.

A backpack pump doesn't deliver much water in LPM. I very much doubt it would supply enough water to feed a brush with 4 jets. We have a Gardiner backpack on the van that wouldn't feed 4 x 2mm jets.

You are a new poster. Are you a window cleaner or are you an enduser looking to solve a problem?
If you are a window cleaner then I would suggest you invest in some decent equipment which is going to cost much more than the equipment you linked to.
If you are an enduser looking to solve an occasional cleaning problem, then I would suggest finding a window cleaner and paying him for the service is a more economical way of doing this long term. What happens if the longest pole setup you buy doesn't reach?

If you are cleaning glass, then you need a source of purified water as well.

apacheman

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 01:32:06 pm »
Thanks all for your replies, I probably needed to be clearer in my requirements.

I am looking to spray onto the roof and not use the brush attachment. So I think I need a DA spray nozzle, a 40ft ish pole thats light and some sort of pump.

Is this all possible in a budget around £400-500? I don't do many jobs, so don't mind it being a bit crappy to begin with.

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 02:54:08 pm »
Thanks all for your replies, I probably needed to be clearer in my requirements.

I am looking to spray onto the roof and not use the brush attachment. So I think I need a DA spray nozzle, a 40ft ish pole thats light and some sort of pump.

Is this all possible in a budget around £400-500? I don't do many jobs, so don't mind it being a bit crappy to begin with.

Probably best to contact Darren at DA Components.
https://www.da-components.com/

They sell a purpose made single nozzle jet and they use backpacks to feed chemicals to the nozzle.
I understand that pumps don't last forever using some chemicals, but a flush out with clean water immediately after use will add longevity to the pump.
Replacement pumps are available anyway.

I didn't say this or advise this, but a pole with a single nozzle is easier to use off a ladder. Unfortunately it's very dangerous as overbalancing is very easy.
If you take this route then I suggest you follow a Sky Dish fitters safety protocol. Tie the ladder off to an anchor point on the wall (they drill and fit one) and then put on a front facing safety harness secured to the ladder.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 02:54:27 pm »
You need a 47ft.
It's a game of three halves!

apacheman

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 05:31:54 pm »
Thanks I can take a look at the DA applicators site.

But just wondering if I need 45feet - 50 feet, can anyone recommend a link where I can buy a pump and carbon fiber pole that long, which is less than £500? I dont mind used.