kevin James

Is this legal or a trailer too far?
« on: February 21, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

kevin

John Walker

Re: Is this legal or a trailer too far?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 03:42:38 pm »
I would think twice about having that pulling up outside my house to clean the windows - looks a bit heath robinson.  What impression would this give the average customer I wonder.

Not sure about the trolley wheels actually running on the road - is this a wind up?   ;D
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

Ian Mason

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:44:51 pm »
Why not go the whole hog, & attach the geen wheeley bin. ;D

daz1977

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 03:48:47 pm »
trolly is illagel, the trailer should be ok as long as its under weight and bike can pull it,  farmes use it liek that all the time,

like john said, i would think twice if that pulled up out side my house,  no offence look a bit cowboyish

matt

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:00:26 pm »
Kevin

i can see a few issues

no number plate

no lights

no red triangles

the towed trolley wouldnt be legal

stephen s

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:02:05 pm »
is he gonna clean windows or spray the crops ?

Jack Wallace

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:05:42 pm »
No offence but it reminds me of the “good ole days” when the local doley would turn up with a ladder on his bike to earn tonight’s beer money, it’s just the modern day equivalent.
But I suppose there is nothing wrong with that if it suits your purpose and your custys are happy.

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:21:30 pm »

But I suppose there is nothing wrong with that if it suits your purpose and your custys are happy.

Quite.

ok cleaning

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 05:44:10 pm »
hi kev how do you manage when it s rainig doesnot you brushes, yourself and other equiptment get wet and dirty?

stephen s

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 05:44:58 pm »
when he pulls up outside a job he should play the Steptoe theme tune  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR4K5KtaNl8

kevin James

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 05:46:53 pm »
trolly is illagel, the trailer should be ok as long as its under weight and bike can pull it,  farmes use it liek that all the time,

like john said, i would think twice if that pulled up out side my house,  no offence look a bit cowboyish

who mentioned cowboys?

idealrob

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 06:01:03 pm »
I think its another Kevin joke, he is not after beer money, he runs  a legit vat registered  cleaning business
and that is not a joke

idealrob

HIGH LEVEL WINDOW CLEANERS (scrimmy)

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 06:01:25 pm »
another LWC type post....i like it....that reminds me of the time i gave my granny a lift to supermarket about 20 years ago........she started to put the bags in the boot of the car, but i said no granny just leave them in the trolley and we just tow it down the road....."oh wot a wonderful idea son" i then attached a tow rope to the trolley and proceeded to drive toward the exit....she fell for it. ;D

No i didnt drive all the way down the road with a supermarket trolley attached to the car....i aint daft.

my granny did though a few days later when she got her car back from the garage. :D

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 06:10:37 pm »
you will see when they pull you over nice bit of kit though how do you get the water into your trolley is it poured or pumped in got the same set up and im just pouring water in like to know mate 8)

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 06:16:45 pm »
You done it again ! well done Kev, but I think the trolley has to be part of a braked system.

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 06:40:49 pm »
Did someone say something about being pikeyish or steptoe. You wouldnt get away with using that for too long in some of the places round here, half the kit would be gone by the time you got back round from the rear of the property with the pikeys round here.

I know where to go if I need a spare pump  ;)

HIGH LEVEL WINDOW CLEANERS (scrimmy)

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 06:43:40 pm »
well its certainly not your website matt...cant buy anything on that...i have just clicked "try here for supplies" for the last 2 mins ;D

try my shop if you need a cheap pump.

not on there yet though...i am waiting till i get back from kevins place. 8)

kevin James

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 07:03:56 pm »
To obvious for a wind up, more like sticking two fingers up to the Ionic crowd.

maybe a leetle aimed at the big boy suppliers.
But mainly at 47, seeing that this short life should be as much fun as you can.
And wots WFP all about?

A good lightweight pole
A good pump
A tank
A hose
A technique that gets you down to 250 litres a day.
A vehicle that gets all this to the windows & you can park easily.

If you can do all this reliably, day in day out, with style & a little fun then hey you've cracked it!

If you have the custies already, then you don't need the big boy suppliers kudos.

Kevin.

Mind you I'm a fortnight away from a self rewind reel. This has been a wee bit OTT ( pun intended) stainless reel/electric motor/pulleys.   

A

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 09:49:15 pm »
Been using a rewind two years.

kevin James

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 10:02:15 pm »
Been using a rewind two years.

yo slumps,

wot design does yours follow?
Any probs?

Kevin n

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »
I have two- me plus helper- no probs. I've been plugging it for years on here but the hand crankers only ever scoff. Saves lots of time and energy.

I use an electric drill, but any motor would probably do.The drill is on the slow speed setting and connects to the centre spindle via a dog leg clutch.

paul rulton

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 10:48:09 pm »
hey kev, have u shown it 2the old bill yet? ;D  NIC NIC ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 08:19:57 am »
Kevin - why not put a music stand in the back of the trailer with a Watchtower magazine on it and "count yer time" as you go?  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Londoner

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 09:31:28 am »
I would think twice about having that pulling up outside my house to clean the windows - looks a bit heath robinson.   What impression would this give the average customer I wonder.

Not sure about the trolley wheels actually running on the road - is this a wind up?   ;D

I actually cleaned the windows of the house where Heath Robinson lived. Its in Love Lane Pinner and it has a blue plaque on the wall. So if anyone is a Heath Robinson window cleaner its me!

Richard Holt

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 09:56:16 am »
I like the idea Kevin, maybe just needs a bit of tidying ?

I wouldn't mind bombing around on one of those all day cleaning windows.

How much does one of those quads set you back and is it easy to get a trailer attached??

Rich :)

Londoner

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 12:27:46 pm »
Not much fun in this weather, OK in the summer.

kevin James

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 12:44:02 pm »
Tis more fun in the spring but tWas great in the snow! Worked every day in dead slippery conditions. ( even pushed a car up a steepish hill)
getting snow plough fir next year (wot you reckon, £10 a drive?)
I've had snipes about not bei g professional enough but friday brought in my first custie, website, from betwixt Royal Crescent & The Circle in Bath. Now there's posh & there's The Riyal Crescent. ( Nick Cage is here, Jenny Agutter & not sure if Mr Costner is resident)

this one was £11500 but then it's nor a toy & gets used every day without any grief
attaching trailer is easy, comes with tow hitch. He electrics are another matter £260.

Kevin. 

John Walker

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 01:11:21 pm »
I would think twice about having that pulling up outside my house to clean the windows - looks a bit heath robinson.   What impression would this give the average customer I wonder.

I actually cleaned the windows of the house where Heath Robinson lived. Its in Love Lane Pinner and it has a blue plaque on the wall. So if anyone is a Heath Robinson window cleaner its me!

Nice one matey!   ;D
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

Ian_Giles

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 01:49:12 pm »
Well apart from the trolley on the back (that bit a joke surely?) I'd say that was a great way of going about your business, no fun in the winter of course but very eye-catching.

some years ago (way before WFP I might add) when I had lads working for me I would give them all a mountain bike and attached to the side of the mountain bike was a custom made side-car - I designed it along the lines of the ones you see on trial bikes - they would have a pointer ladder and an extension ladder, plus bucket and all their gear including extra water.
I'd drop them off in an area, they would do their work and cycle back to base, worked a treat too  ;D

Really wish I had some photo's I could have posted on here, sadly it was also pre-internet   :'(

If (god forbid) I should ever lose my driving license, I'd wondered how I would continue working...my plan (at least in my head  ::)) was to get a shire horse and trailer of some sort....can you imagine the looks you'd get pulling up outside an office with all your WFP gear on a trap/trailer all towed by a shire horse??  Talk about Steptoe & Son!
A big proportion of my work is local enough for this to be practical, and until I left my wife I also lived on the side of my brother in law's farm, so also had the facilities on hand (and free!) to house and feed my..er..transport.

Sticking something like a 400l tank on a side car for me to pedal around on a mountain bike somehow doesn't appeal to me!  ;D

Ian

Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 04:01:51 pm »
You done it again ! well done Kev, but I think the trolley has to be part of a braked system.

most trailers are free running and have no braking system.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 07:06:28 pm »
good point mate ;D