evil genius

Re: Aquarium heaters -- any1 cut the plug off
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 11:20:03 pm »
Matt,
even heating water to 18c  might help in cleaning slightly. surely it will help break down bird bombs ect, even if its only slightly

ian
Stratford upon avon & Coventry pressure washing
www.mbsurfacecleaning.co.uk
www.mbuildsc.co.uk

matt

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 11:24:37 pm »
Matt,
even heating water to 18c  might help in cleaning slightly. surely it will help break down bird bombs ect, even if its only slightly

ian

your right ian,

its a fine line, i will insulate my tank so it will stay warm for the best part of the day

i dont like the idea of L.D , so i will play it safe and just heat to 18 C, at least it will not freeze in the tank and hoses, so thats half the problem gone

matt

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 08:38:23 am »

6. Certain conditions increase the risk from legionella:

* a suitable temperature for growth, 20 to 45oC;
    * a source of nutrients for the organism, eg sludge, scale, rust, algae, and other organic matter;and
    * a way of creating and spreading breathable droplets, eg the aerosol created by a cooling tower or spa pool.

:o :o time for a rethink

Except that if you're heating pure water then there is no source of nutrients.  There is nothing at all for them to fuel themselves, literally nothing, so you are at zero risk.

If you have any one of sludge, scale, rust algae or other organic matter, you're leaving dirty windows behind.

PW

good call, BUT but tanks will have a slight coating of algae, no matter how clean you think it is, if you leave water in a tank for any time, algae will grow

gewindows

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 09:01:05 am »
If your insulating your tank Matt there will be no light though.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 12:14:04 pm »
I cut the plugs off mine. There are 3 wires, the one that is green/yellow that you'd assume is the earth wire isn't. It seems to be simply for working the light on the Chinese plug. Mine is wired up without that wire connected, but I've put them on RCD safety plugs for my own peace of mind.

evil genius

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 03:21:16 pm »

6. Certain conditions increase the risk from legionella:

* a suitable temperature for growth, 20 to 45oC;
    * a source of nutrients for the organism, eg sludge, scale, rust, algae, and other organic matter;and
    * a way of creating and spreading breathable droplets, eg the aerosol created by a cooling tower or spa pool.

:o :o time for a rethink

Except that if you're heating pure water then there is no source of nutrients.  There is nothing at all for them to fuel themselves, literally nothing, so you are at zero risk.

If you have any one of sludge, scale, rust algae or other organic matter, you're leaving dirty windows behind.

PW

im not 100% sure but i believe that the pure water we use only has deposits such as calcium, carbon and and other tiny particals removed but i think bacterial can still be present in the water. even at 0000ppm.

its the bacteria that the LD strives on meaning LD can still be present in our pure water

ian
Stratford upon avon & Coventry pressure washing
www.mbsurfacecleaning.co.uk
www.mbuildsc.co.uk

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 03:30:11 pm »
A simple UV filter or ceramic filtration unit would remove any worries about LD. I've never heard of a wfp'er contracting it yet though, but the whole hot thing is relatively new.

ftp

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 05:20:41 pm »
The difference here is keeping a tank of warm water instead of on demand heating.
I changed the transfer hose in my static system yesterday and it was pretty slimy and smelly although my tds is pretty good and the tank is kept in the dark.

I could be just scaremainering here because I don't know enough. Worth chattinng about though.

DANDG

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 07:40:44 pm »
i put 3kw emersion heater in 500lt tank warms up in 30mins the longer i leave the hotter the water
geoff

NBwcs

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 07:50:34 pm »
"it was never about having hot water for me, just meaning a little bit of warmth to stop freezing"

Me too matt, ive got a 500l tank and one 300w heater set to 34deg c.,which brings it up to 16deg c. at the top by the morning.( 4deg lower than the legionaires ideal min temp). ive lagged it with a cylinder jacket and old quilt and was out this morning at 8.15. It didnt get above freezing until about 10ish, and was freezing on the sills/ground but no problem with freezing in the pipes. With a bit of common sense as to which props to clean, doors trad, salt (dishwasher not rock) with custys permission,etc and I reckon its not a bad investment at £20.(incl lagging). No need to go any hotter, unless freezing temp get too silly so legionaires not too much of an issue.   

matt

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 09:14:06 pm »
"it was never about having hot water for me, just meaning a little bit of warmth to stop freezing"

Me too matt, ive got a 500l tank and one 300w heater set to 34deg c.,which brings it up to 16deg c. at the top by the morning.( 4deg lower than the legionaires ideal min temp). ive lagged it with a cylinder jacket and old quilt and was out this morning at 8.15. It didnt get above freezing until about 10ish, and was freezing on the sills/ground but no problem with freezing in the pipes. With a bit of common sense as to which props to clean, doors trad, salt (dishwasher not rock) with custys permission,etc and I reckon its not a bad investment at £20.(incl lagging). No need to go any hotter, unless freezing temp get too silly so legionaires not too much of an issue.   

its not alot of money and if it means you can work just 1 hour extra, its paid for itself  ;D