rob child

first customers arggghhh
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:40:17 pm »
hi all ive been leaflet dropping for a few days now with no luck whatsoever i know i should be cold calling but dont want to be putting it on people after a days work. any tips/ideas?

chopsie

Re: first customers arggghhh
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:48:44 pm »
Just door knock,I have had no replies from any leaflets i dropped,apparently people will keep them and call us months,even years later,I got 69 customers since november virtually all from door knocking,couple of others from seeing me while i was working.people do not mind you calling on them,most are quite friendly when they realise your not a pushy double glazing salesman
chopsie

woody1

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:56:57 pm »
door knock mate it works so much better went out today for a couple of hours got 5 new customers left leaflets at houses not in had no calls as per

John Walker

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:00:31 pm »
Just door knock,I have had no replies from any leaflets i dropped,apparently people will keep them and call us months,even years later,I got 69 customers since november virtually all from door knocking,couple of others from seeing me while i was working.people do not mind you calling on them,most are quite friendly when they realise your not a pushy double glazing salesman

Totally agree.  I started off by leaflet dropping and gained a few but when I actually spoke to a homeowner while delivering, either because they were out in the garden or just arriving home my new customer gains went up dramatically.  Door knocking is definitely the way.

It's also important that you are well presented - first impressions count big time.
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

Steven01903

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:14:04 pm »
Rob the only way is to knock the door, I promise you, You are the only person that they will say to you I am sorry but I have a window cleaner.
Or they will say at last yes I need a window cleaner.
I leave leaflets if no answer but to be honest I never get calls from them, I just hope that next time I call on them they reconize the leaflet and I get a new custy.
Knock the door you will enjoy it.
Steven
West sussex

daz1977

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:49:08 am »
put ur leaflets out and then a few days later, go knocking and say

hi sorry to bother, where staring a window cleaning round next week, i was wondering if you was intrested

thats it,  keep a note of who says no and whos not in   and knock the ones not in a few days later

wizard

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:44:57 am »
A thing that has worked for me. I drop a leaflet and call back a day or two later, but I always have a mug shot of myself on the leaflet. Have a personal photo on your leaflet always gives them a instant memory of you when you call back later. So make sure its a good Photo even if you have it down professionaly. Then use it on all your ads. People think in pictures not words.Thing of your favourite food, you will never think BURGER you will see a picture of a Burger. This is a principal rule us in advertising it makes a lasting impression so make it good. God luck.

John Walker

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:41:58 am »
A thing that has worked for me. I drop a leaflet and call back a day or two later, but I always have a mug shot of myself on the leaflet. Have a personal photo on your leaflet always gives them a instant memory of you when you call back later. So make sure its a good Photo even if you have it down professionaly. Then use it on all your ads. People think in pictures not words.Thing of your favourite food, you will never think BURGER you will see a picture of a Burger. This is a principal rule us in advertising it makes a lasting impression so make it good. God luck.

So... you think if I have a picture of a burger on my next leaflets, I stand a chance of getting a good response - brilliant   ;D
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

formb

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:42:25 pm »
I have never once knocked on a door for a new customer. I have 3952 customers. 85% from leaflets, 5% word of mouth, 5% yellow pages, 5% sign on vehicles. When I started I got an army of 10 - 15 young lads and they helped me do my first leaflet drop. We normally get a return of 1 to 2 %. Leaflets work you just need to up your amount.

formb

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 01:46:57 pm »
Also, if you are going to knock on doors get a list of local window cleaners and avoid their houses. You don't want to get chinned.

R W C™

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 02:54:13 pm »
I have never once knocked on a door for a new customer. I have 3952 customers. 85% from leaflets, 5% word of mouth, 5% yellow pages, 5% sign on vehicles. When I started I got an army of 10 - 15 young lads and they helped me do my first leaflet drop. We normally get a return of 1 to 2 %. Leaflets work you just need to up your amount.

How many peoplke working for you.

Also, if you are going to knock on doors get a list of local window cleaners and avoid their houses. You don't want to get chinned.

Just knock the doors, if the custy says they got a cleaner, just thank them and be on your way, just dont quote if they got a cleaner.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 03:45:05 pm »
hi, hope this helps!!
I started on my first windows a week last monday, I started with friends and family and delivering leaflets. from my first leaflet drop (300) i got 3 custys, on cleaning the first of these (wfp) she then referred me to 4 of her friends then i have another 2 off them. so in my little bit of time I think leaflets can work fine, but i think its whats on the leaflet that counts.
I knocked doors yesterday afternoon for about an hour, all where negative, i switched to leaflets for the next 2 hours and picked up 2 calls and got both jobs, if i had stuck to the knocking i would of never got the leaflets in front of those 2 new custys. You can cover a larger number of houses with leaflets and hopefully catch someones eyes, do a good clean and get referals.
good luck matey!! :)   

MSTAV

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 04:50:34 pm »
hey kentkleen where in kent are you?? im dartford

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 05:02:06 pm »
Ive picked up 3 new 4 weeklys in the past week from knocking but have also lost a few on the way, im finding loads more that already have a window cleaner when im knocking so im not gaining much, infact my list doesnt seem to be growing and add to that the fact that my vans in dire need of repair funds are getting low, infact i am getting a new sump put on tomorrow as it has had a prang and the crank shaft is banging of it when i drive and its moaning like an oul git. 
JRD Easi Reach
'The Ladderless Window Cleaning System'

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 05:51:12 pm »
hi mstav, sorry kent is the surname, i am up north matey!! wish i was in kent seems you can charge double what we can up here!!  :o

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 06:08:13 pm »
door knock,door knock,door knock!!if youve not bought a round to get yourself going and want to build a good solid round then its unavoidable.when i started 16 years ago i went out EVERY WEEKEND for 6 months at least to get more work!i never used any leaflets just asked them!if they said yes i turned up monday morning and that was it!another one on the books and so and so on.

if you cant door knock then youve got to ask yourself WHY NOT?if u want a more compact round u will have to!it gets easier after the first couple of refusals! ;) ::) :P ;D

good luck!

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 06:29:34 pm »
Leaflet two days before going back and knocking. Leaflet should tell'em you are going to call in the next few days but if they want to beat the queue then they should phone first.
It's a game of three halves!

rob child

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 06:40:35 pm »
thanks all looks like im gonna have to go knocking as no luck just on leaflets will let u know how i get on. they just seem to be arrogant buggers in lincs area!!!

chopsie

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 06:45:17 pm »
Leaflet two days before going back and knocking. Leaflet should tell'em you are going to call in the next few days but if they want to beat the queue then they should phone first.
I am about to experiment with this,but my bug bear with it is...Its bad enough door knocking/leaflet dropping an area once,So to have to do it twice is really crap  :-\
chopsie

rob child

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 07:18:13 pm »
unless a small round crops up for sale in my area!!! hmmm