traps7

Re: SL-X It worked for me
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 09:19:38 pm »
Thanks Wayne, I'm gonna try  that.
My stickers are nearly gone and i was gonna paint new ones this weekend. Will try the polish also.
Thanks.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 10:08:21 pm »
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

neil100

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 10:13:23 pm »
If your slx is really hard to extend, Take the pole sections apart and run your finger along the inside edge of the clamp that butts up to the inner edge of the carbon pole. If you find the inner clamp edge is higher then the carbon section.Thats were your problem is.

File or sand the clamp edge only untill its level with the carbon,Rub your finger  over the edge to check, when done  Apply a bit of polish and the pole sections will slide and glide far better.

Neil

traps7

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 09:37:27 pm »
If your slx is really hard to extend, Take the pole sections apart and run your finger along the inside edge of the clamp that butts up to the inner edge of the carbon pole. If you find the inner clamp edge is higher then the carbon section.Thats were your problem is.

File or sand the clamp edge only untill its level with the carbon,Rub your finger  over the edge to check, when done  Apply a bit of polish and the pole sections will slide and glide far better.

Neil
I spoke to Alex about this and he said to run a kitchen knife around the inside to scrape it out like your saying.

traps7

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 09:57:14 pm »
This is the stuff Traps. Got mine from B&Q

http://www.paintsprays.co.uk/catalog/metal-protekt-paint-p-233.html

Only just seen this Wayne, Thanks.

I took mine all apart this afternoon and removed the remains of the stickers, masked off and painted new ones with some brick and tile paint I already had in the garage. I'll use that stuff next time though because I'm sure this is gonna wear off soon.
I Also gave all sections a polish like you said with some turtle wax spray I already had.
I'll give it a go Monday and see what happens.

Window Washers

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 10:00:35 pm »
am waiting for the replies on this one. I have 4 tins of that pain in the unit (only problem its white lol)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 05:13:51 pm »
I have taken the stickers off mine and gave the whole thing a generous coating of furniture polish, it certainly reinvigorated the thing, no sticking thats for sure.

traps7

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 07:33:54 pm »
It seems ok so far. Haven't got any sand or grit stuck to the pole hose yet though.

Think I'll try some beeswax or something, I don't think the polish I had was that good.

Also I've found I dont like clamping on the actual paint band as I obviously put a tad much on and I think the extra force required to close the clamp wont do the pole much good.

I think that must be why Alex uses that other paint on a pole refurb because it can be applied very thinly.

thewaterwizard

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 07:58:20 pm »
ewan
ive been trying your velcro idea for the last few days i must say it works a treat
no grit gets by it  thanks for posting the info top man

robin

also took the stickers off today must admit it makes such a difference pole slides
much easier and clamping where the stickers were now easy no strain on the clamp
day off on friday so ill paint new markers and try polish 
robin

traps7

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 03:42:48 pm »
This is the stuff Traps. Got mine from B&Q

http://www.paintsprays.co.uk/catalog/metal-protekt-paint-p-233.html

Got some of that spray but had to spray in the garage due to weather. Had to dust sheet an area. Bit messy.
Have to say I found it easier with a paint brush with the old paint I had lying around.
I've tried three different paints now and they all only seem to last a week or two.

On the plus side I don't seem to be getting any grit issues these days. Not unless I drag it over sand on say a fresh block paved driveway.
I don't know if this is due to the pole wear, the stickers being removed or what and I'm not doing anything different with it than when I first had it.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 04:02:56 pm »
Agree Traps. Put it on my pole and it lasted about a week. Didn't have any sticking probs with the flaky paint though. I'm going to re paint them over xmas Spray a very thin coat every half hr or so. then leave to set for a week.

Cant remember having a single prob with my 18ft pole since I did the mods on it. But they do get better with wear, as did my 30ft SL-X.

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'