Poll

How long have you been working for yourself window cleaning?

1 year or less
1-2 years
3-4 years
4-5 years
5-7 years
7-10 years
10 years or more

wcs.

! New
« on: September 20, 2009, 02:01:11 pm »
?

Window Washers

Re: Apprentice!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 04:08:06 pm »
When were the turning points or times when you felt you reached a certain level?
Everyone have a different level they want to reach, just not found mine yet!
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

EZclean

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 04:41:47 pm »
trad, 6months after buying my rounds and knowing i was a proper window cleaner because i was upto speed and did a good job.

wfp, 6 months after buying my wfp equipment and knowing i was a proper window cleaner because i was upto speed and did a good job and earnt much more money faster than trad.
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:19:54 pm »
Turning point - wfp. Used on my round from Feb 2005 for commercial; majority of domestic from summer 2005 and all of my round by May 2006.

Steps up in income also at Oct 2006 with van plus wfp and April 2009 with SLX over modular.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 05:35:27 pm »
When were the turning points or times when you felt you reached a certain level?

I was only going to do it until I got a "proper" job in the recession of 1991.  First turning point came when I was eventually offered a job and turned it down  ;D .
Second one came around three years.  Was getting bored with W/Cing so gave a load of work away and replaced it with better work.  Next turning point was a lot later when I got WFP stuff.
Maybe do a website with all your survey forms on them.  Would save people keep having digs at you   ;D

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 05:38:18 pm »
I honestly don't believe you're ever truley content with what you have; not if you're self employed. There's always more work to be had and when you get it you want some more.

You start off by thinking," Right, I want to be earning £500 per week".

Then you get there.

Then you invest in WFP, carpet machines, power washers, whatever, and now you reckon, with a bit of work, you can break through the £1,000 per week barrier.

Then you get there.

And so it goes on.

Even most smaller, sole operators wont turn down new customers when approached on their rounds.

Personally I've reached a level where the bills are paid each month very comfortably, I don't have to worry about nasty letters popping through the letter box, we're able to take the family abroad two or three times a year and we've always money available for extra such as eating out, rainy days, etc.

BUT ................................................

I still want more.

There are always more holidays to be taken; or simply longer holidays. I'd like a nice boat to fish from, the wife would like to trade in her soft top XR3i for a Porsche Boxter and so on and so on.

I honestly believe that in any business if you stop you just end up going backward ;)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

pingu

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 06:12:18 pm »
Reached one of my goals this week after a little more than 3 years..

Next year is to fill some of 'those' gaps in work...then It'll be pruning more of the stuff I do not want i.e priced low or just don't like the job.

Following year will be building ontop of the pruned round...then build>prune>build>prune...until I have 1 job a week and that earns a grand ;D ;D

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 06:17:19 pm »
Pingu, those jobs are ten a penny mate; it's about time you started to look for the big stuff I reckon ;)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 06:18:31 pm »
"...then build>prune>build>prune...until I have 1 job a week and that earns a grand "  

so you only need 4 customers ?

monthly schedule  ;D ;D ;D 8)

pingu

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 12:24:39 pm »
Ewan the only limit is imagination..

wfp master

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 03:23:41 pm »
when i am on the top rung  ;D ;D ;D

cozy

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 04:40:49 pm »

Every time I reached a turning point or certain level. I'm at another level now.But your level of understanding is at another level to those who have another level or turning point. Depending on the level you are on, is it the level or turning point for others, who have not reached that level or turning point?
Should people stay at a level or choose another turning point, or go to another level?

This window cleaning trade is really interesting innit?

Sean Dyer

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 05:08:39 pm »
Ewan the only limit is imagination..

Pingu I wasn’t knocking your post, your correct in what you say as far as replenishing your round goes, but once you have all your customers at the top prices if you lose one you can only replace.

I agree though if you to go beyond what the current acceptable prices are you will have to use your imagination and be innovative and then re-set the bar with prices.

one man can only do so much but there is no limit with employing ...

ccmids

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 05:55:04 pm »
what would you pay someone to work with you???

Sean Dyer

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 05:57:19 pm »
Start at minimum wage and decide what its worth to you... Think, what will keep them happy

Pay peanuts get monkeys, you arent happy with low paying jobs neither are anyone else, but usually employed staff dont expect tens of pounds an hour but not many are happy on minumum

My lad has started on about 7ph will go up when he speeds up :)

ccmids

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 05:58:56 pm »
what if that person gets ideas and thinks i want my own round

Sean Dyer

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 06:01:06 pm »
they will get their own round lol

Cant stop that , but if you treat them well its less likely :) especially in view of the work  needed to start up

ccmids

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 06:04:10 pm »
and you need someone you can trust

Sean Dyer

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 06:07:48 pm »
yeah.... best way is to maybe do work trials through job centre, you dont have to pay for the 2 week ftime trial and if you take on they pay about £70 a week i think towards wage so long as you take them on for 16+ hrs per week(or 24 ) something like that anyway

And you get to interview from job centre who you give trial too

So plenty of chance to sift through the numpties and get a decent worker

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 06:09:39 pm »

Every time I reached a turning point or certain level. I'm at another level now.But your level of understanding is at another level to those who have another level or turning point. Depending on the level you are on, is it the level or turning point for others, who have not reached that level or turning point?
Should people stay at a level or choose another turning point, or go to another level?

This window cleaning trade is really interesting innit?

Classic  ;D ;D