sunshine windows

Pre-paid envelopes
« on: August 22, 2006, 09:05:29 pm »
Hi All,

I am currently happy leaving 2nd class stamped, self addressed envelopes for all my customers who are not in when i clean their windows.

I know some of you use a franking method where you pay for the amount of envelopes sent back to you. (At least i think that's how it works).

I was just wondering how cost effective this method would be and what are the charges for the envelopes. Do you have to pay for a bulk of envelopes and then pay charges for each one that's returned.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Lance
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Jon T.C.

Re: Pre-paid envelopes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:17:06 pm »
I don't leave envelopes - prepaid or otherwise. I don't go collecting. I tell my customers from the start that money must be received within 7days. I have not got one single customer who's got a problem with it. ;D
Elite Cleaning Solutions

carl stanton

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 10:23:53 pm »
same with me, i just say send paymnet! and no probs though i say 30 days but either work, i say if i start putting stamp on i will have to put my price up even more! no problems!!  8)

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:48:22 pm »
Hi mate i leave envelope with first class stamp customer service and all dosent cost a lot for a few stamps and im sure you can earn more in window cleaning not to have to up your prices to account for a 1st or second class stamp? dont you account for them at the end of the year all those who do buy them?????

How many envelopes do some people have that are freepost return and i can bet you they dont send 32p saying "thanks for the freepost envelope but i want to reinburse you for it"?

macc

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 11:27:55 pm »
I leave an envelope but no stamp on & never had a customer mention it. Many of mine are never in so they pay for the stamp every month.

I wouldnt bother if i was you, you could £200 if not more in a year.  :o

Macc

sunshine windows

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 07:37:00 am »
I realise all the costs involved in paying for 2nd class stamps and envelopes. This is obviously tax deductable and won't make much of a dent at the end of the year.

Those of you that don't bother and expect the customer to send payment of their own accord, fair play to you but i'd rather eliminate all the possible excuses for non payment.

This still doesn't answer my original question of franked envelopes though.  ::)

Lance
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

ccwc1988

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 08:58:18 am »
With franked envelopes you save 1p per stamp if used so not a great deal saved but at least you wouldn't lose any stamps. Phone your local sorting office they will help you more. 8)
CCWC..if we can't reach it no-one can.

sunshine windows

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 05:15:27 pm »
Thanks for that ccwc. Now we're getting somewhere.

Lance
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 05:34:02 pm »
hi i've just started doing this as i am tired of chasing people for payment i have to say its been very successfull and if they still don't pay me i will making them ex customers but i would say its worth it its a lot cheaper than driving their!!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 07:11:23 pm »
My cuctomers get a slip thru' their door with my name address and amount on it. They provide the envelope and stamp.

Commercial customers either pay from petty cash and I provide a receipt, or for the higher end (typically £50 plus) they get an invoice.
It's a game of three halves!

s woodliff

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 09:16:40 pm »
i just got another thousand white self seal envelopes of ebay for under a tener how good!

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 10:09:51 pm »
I recently started down this road, Didn't like the pre paid idea, buy cheap envelopes from Tesco, add stamp.
Just sorted out PO box £56 a year so now customers don't have my address,
WORKS FOR ME.
Considering the time, fuel and wear and tear on vehicle a stamp seems cheap to me..
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 10:19:43 pm »
You should offer 30 day accounts and be professional like anyother business
The problem with that is that most customers have windows cleaned every 4 weeks = 28 days so if they use the full 30 days they are always a month behind (generats more book work) not good, not stress free plus the money is better in my bank earning me intrest < good business acrim even for a three man band...
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

sunshine windows

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 11:13:42 pm »
I recently started down this road, Didn't like the pre paid idea, buy cheap envelopes from Tesco, add stamp.
Just sorted out PO box £56 a year so now customers don't have my address,

Curious as to why you wouldn't want your customers knowing where you live. ???  ???

Lance
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 07:42:14 am »
Curious as to why you wouldn't want your customers knowing where you live

My customers can contact me by phone or e-mail I don't see the need to let them know my address as I go to them plus after 16+ year in the Pub trade I like to keep my private life PRIVATE..
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Robert Parry

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 09:24:52 am »
Just a quick bit of info on franking mail, once the envelope or package has been franked, you have paid for the postage, it does not matter if they have been actually posted.
What you need if you want to cover all the bases is reply paid envelopes, these mean that you only actually pay for those that are used, minus the cost of actually providing them in the first place of course, hope this helps.
A world of difference....

LSB

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 08:14:27 pm »
I leave an addressed envelope , politely asking for payment within 14 days ! most customers ( not all ) seem to manage this ! some pay on the second/third clean ! i do still collect from about half of my customers ( actually , i pay my retired father to do it and give him 15% of what he collects )   

matt

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 08:23:45 pm »
mine get on a peice of paper (4 to a A4 sheet)

your windows have been cleaned today

sorry we missed you, could you either send a cheque, pay online or we will catch you next time

amount owed .........

with thanks
me

i insist on payment after THREE cleans, most pay every time