Jason Atwell

dreaded leaded
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:17:07 pm »
Im newish to windows and have leafleted, and through word of mouth, and local window cleaners passing on work, have built a reasonable round of two and a half days a week. now i dont want to turn work away, but the more work i get the more valuable my time is becoming, and im coming across leaded houses which some window cleaners wont do, as they take too long, one house i do in paticular takes 3 times longer than an average house, so should i, and is the customer going to stand being charged 3 times more? ( is wfp suitable for leaded windows) ???
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

craig jwc

Re: dreaded leaded
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 11:20:56 pm »
WFP is ideal for this type of work.

I don't charge any more for using WFP than when i did it Traditional.

Wfp will get the job done quicker and i personally think it gives a better finish.

Craig

ronaldo

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 11:23:45 pm »

Wfp will get the job done quicker and i personally think it gives a better finish.

Craig

Oh no, here we go folks, BATTEN down the hathes,  ;D
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Jason Atwell

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 11:25:07 pm »
Do you not get any residue off the lead with the water, or does it take a couple of cleans? And what about doing it the traditional way, will the customer dig deeper into there pockets, will be a while untill i will be wfp!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:26:02 pm »
 ;D

Nah, leaded's a doddle with a good spray and microfibre.
Takes me no longer than a squeegee window these days.

I usually only charge an extra £1 or so per house if it's leaded.
They're some of my best jobs.

Jason Atwell

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 11:28:33 pm »
I originally tried microfibre, but kept getting smears, so use scrim, any tips squeaky? ;)

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 11:30:14 pm »
Hi Jase, do'nt know where your located, or what you charge.
If I dont know how long a job is going to take me I price at £25 per hr or proportionately of that, leading to a discount if its regular ie: monthly, especially with leaded
wfp works good with them, check for leaks though! else I spray em with a solution ( i mix up a small bit of ammonia with fairy and pure water) and wipe with microfibre and buff with a scrim.
Hope thats been of help to ya
Simon

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:31:05 pm »
I originally tried microfibre, but kept getting smears, so use scrim, any tips squeaky? ;)
Not really no.

I've gone over to micros because I found they didn't smear at all.... ???

Not enough spray?
Too much spray?
Crap spray?

craig jwc

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 11:31:49 pm »
Do you not get any residue off the lead with the water, or does it take a couple of cleans?

It came up fine when i went wfp, but maybe because i had been doing it Trad for a while.

WATER FED POLE  WATER FED POLE
;D ;D ;D ;D

Only joking Squeaks

Craig

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 11:34:27 pm »
Your baby's doing exactly the same thing as me Craig. ;D

Jason Atwell

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 11:35:43 pm »
Cheers for the ammonia tip, Can you buy pure water or do you need your own filter? Cheers squeaky, going to invest in a better quality microfibre, using a morrisons one, maybe thats it!? ;)

Pat Purcell

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 11:36:08 pm »
As a die hard trad window cleaner (who used to use pure water) the one place i really wish i had my pure water system again is when i do leaded windows
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

craig jwc

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 11:44:36 pm »
Can you buy pure water or do you need your own filter?

Most Aquatic Centres sell it but it works out a bit pricey if you want alot Plus it has only been filtered and not gone through resin.

Craig

cybersye

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 12:20:43 am »
are you a long way from going wfp Jase?
you could buy a small di for producing your own pure water, otherwise i doubt pure water is essential if you cleaned with ammonia solution, it cuts through dirt n grease and leaves less streaks anyhow and is'nt expensive, use it sparingly though it stinks, I'm only suggesting it for really dirty windows or leaded and those too small or tricky to squegee.

craig jwc

JM123

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 12:25:35 am »
craig, you and me posted at exactly the same time look!!
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

JM123

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 12:26:00 am »
aagghhh you cant see it now
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

craig jwc

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 12:32:38 am »
Never mind, you'll have to be quicker next time ;D

Craig

Ian_Giles

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 07:10:09 am »
AS Roger said, microfibre and a good window cleaning spray, both of us would highly recommend tesco's own brand, it's cheap and very effective.
I know Rog thinks he is as quick or quicker on these with spray & buff as he is with a  squeegee on a normal window of the same size...but he wouldn't dream of using spray & buff on them instead of applicator and squeegee!!

On real leaded, and not the normal modern stuff, if you use WFP then you have to be wary of leaks, loose panes, broken panes and so on, but it's better by a vast degree than anything you can do trad providing that is that the windows are in good repair.

If you are staying trad then stick with spray and buff on leaded, how much to charge?
Well you have to charge more per window than you would for non leaded windows, if it would be a tenner for standard windows, then it should be at least £15.00 for leaded...minimum, at least half again as much.
Customer doesnt like it?
tell them it takes more than twice as long, and on no account drop your price, get it set in your head that you are not going to lower your price.
If you do, then you will only find yourself dropping the account (as others will have probably done so before you)

On leaded (no matter what Squeaks may think) WFP will give better results, spray and buff WILL leave smears, but because they are leaded, the lead strips deceive the eye.
Once you are experienced with WFP there is no reason why you shouldn't do a top job from the very first clean, if you are new to WFP then it can take a few cleans to get it right, and when you get it wrong with WFP you can REALLY get it wrong :o
On leaded, with WFP you will be 2 to 3 times quicker, if you price the same way you would for trad then you can clean up ;) (pun intended)
But because you are so much quicker, it is hard to price it higher than you would for the same house with non leaded windows.
Even more so with georgian windows.
Done trad, leaded is just harder work spraying and buffing than applicator and squeegee and can be done quite quickly, georgian on the other hand is a different kettle of fish.
Trad can't get remoely close to WFP on these, you are at least 5 or 6 times faster with WFP, and providing frames are in good condition you will do a better job AND the frames will be cleaned too.
If you are new to window cleaning, stick with trad until you have built up a full round and have fully developed your trad skills before you consider going WFP though, it pays of in the end and you will have developed enough window cleaning wisdom to cope with any problems that occur.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 07:58:12 am »
Trad can't get remoely close to WFP on these, you are at least 5 or 6 times faster with WFP, and providing frames are in good condition you will do a better
Sorry Ian, but you must be going into wfp sales or something. ::)
That really is piffle of the highest order.

5-6 times quicker?

So the big 4-5 bed  leaded jobs I do in Grange Park (you know the ones), that are £15 and take me 20 mins, you could do them 3 minutes or so.....? ;D

Come on, lets have honest advice for someone who needs help, not biased nonsense.