calmore

Silicone on glass
« on: August 21, 2006, 09:29:26 am »
Hi

Just wandered across from the Carpet Cleaning forum as I need some advice.

Is there any easy way of removing silicone sealant from glass? Preferably, some sort of chemical as I don't want to scratch it by scraping.

Also, is there any chemical which will remove the glue from dried on masking tape. The tape has been on there for *years*..the tape peels off OK but the glue is left behind, baked onto the glass.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

shammy davis jnr

Re: Silicone on glass
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:52:56 am »
try acitone if you cant get the industrial stuff  try nail polish remover  but make sure it contains acitone becase there are two types of nail polish remover out there 
yours shammy davis 
now how do u get chewing gum off a carpet  did not think you were getting away that easy did ya lol   ;D

Pat Purcell

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 10:56:10 am »
OILFLO SHOULD REMOVE BOTH ALSO WHITE SPIRITS WILL REMOVE THE SILICONE NOT SURE ABOUT THE TAPE GLUE BUT YOU MAY NEED TO USE A SCRAPER ON THE RESIDUE JUST MAKE SURE THE GLASS IS WET AND USE THE SMALLEST SCRAPER YOU GOT AND ONLY SCRAPE IN ONE DIRECTION
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:04:55 pm »
Silicon remover,
Get some old fashioned cornflour starch dip some 000 or 0000 wire wool into it and dust on the glass then rub with the wire wool.
Hey presto  :) Thats a pint you owe me.  :D
If the silicon is in large blobs, keep wet and scrape with a thin flexible old fashioned single edged safety razor blade from chemists. Defo Not a stanley scraper. Until you have the thick stuff removed then use the cornflour.

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:54:35 pm »
now how do u get chewing gum off a carpet  did not think you were getting away that easy did ya lol   ;D
Shammy I have heared ice on the gum is a solution to removeing it, (never tryed it) but its free to try.