oldskool4572

£800 a month to run a van for wfp???
« on: August 20, 2006, 12:15:35 pm »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this....
I currently work with a friend who owns his own van and we help each other with the other's work. ie labour is free. We share the running costs which until recently I thought were fair.

But recently he has come back to me with some figures and has basically said I have to pay him £100 a week for the running costs. Now I cant believe that it costs £200 a week between 2 people and 1 van to run, even taking into account tax, water, insurance poles, advertising etc. £10,000 a year?!

Does this sound right? I may be missing something here so any feedback would be good.

Thanks

alansavvi

Re: £800 a month to run a van for wfp???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 12:25:04 pm »
hope it is a nice van because you are going for a nice ride!

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 12:25:45 pm »
Ive only just bought my own van and kitted it out so what do I know, does however sound a bit steep to me , I was using a trolley sys from my car up till recently so moved that in to a van and only needed to buy a larger tank really but that didnt cost the earth

I think all in all i have spent £2000 on the van and all my wfp gear has cost me £1400

oldskool4572

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 12:29:18 pm »
Cheers

My friend is taking into account replacing poles and servicing the van, van payments,diesel etc.

I just still feel that it is to high. I will admit I am ignorant about setting up wfp systems but any more feedback would be great.

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 12:58:33 pm »
hi matie

i will be honest if he has a good setup and a new van then that sounds realistic... this is of course if this includes the fact that you are doing your work too , on a five day week..

payments on a van  200-300 depending on size
insurance on van    100
diesel                      200
wear and tear         40-50 a month over the year
poles equipment     50 a month
car tax mot              20 a month

roughly equates to 700-800 a month

but then what he needs to do is because you are paying him half then he will need to give you half the mileage amounts so you can claim it off your tax bill at 40p a mile

so in effect if your doing 10000 a year £4000 can be claimed which will level out what you give him.

so if he wants to play hard ball throw that one back in his court

shawn

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 01:12:53 pm »
seems to me that if you are going to pay for half of everything then you should recieve ownership of half of everything ,Petrol and that obviously thats impractical ,but if you were to pay half the rental cost of everything per week it would seem a little fairer or figure out how much it would cost you to rent the equipment necessary to do your half of the work add in the cost f his labour and pay him that and then chatge him for your labour on his work
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Old_Master

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 01:15:48 pm »
It obviously depends on the van and system.
But lets say you have an new 06 vivaro van with a new branded wfp system to be written down over four years (paid off) then the cost would be approxamatly £85.00 a week.
Road Tax, system maintenance,van maintenance and water costs say £1500.00 a year so total £115.00 a week for the system and vehicle.

Diesel, van insurance and business insurance would depend on how far you travel, what your driving history is like and business insurance is based on your turnover- so these are questions only you can answer - might be you spend £80.00 a week on fuel to get to your jobs if your work is spread out.

marc

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 03:30:39 pm »
why dont you let him do his work and you do your own ?no disputs then

macc

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 03:48:08 pm »
It may well be costing £800 a month for everything if he is running a newish van & a top notch wfp system.

If the van is all on tick & the system is leased then yes but it sounds as if hes trying it on  ???. May be not.

For £100 per week you can finance your own van & set up, that way your standing on your own feet & he does not own you & you dont rely on him. What if you fall out, it happens, then your stuck.

My advice is sort your own van & wfp out, £100 per week is a good set up & its yours.  ;D

Macc

oldskool4572

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 07:26:07 pm »
What is happening is that he gives me receipts for the running costs. For example if I pay £100 for that week then I get a receipt for £100 running costs which I am guessing I can claim back against tax at the end of the year.

Many thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone else has any input then please feel free as I am finding it very helpful.

By the way the van is around £260 a month on lease.
£500 a year set side for servicing.
Around £300-£400 a year for poles.
£500 for insurance.
£180 for tax on vehicle.
£500 for resin beads, although this figure may need to be looked at together with filters for the Merlin system.

Other bits and pieces come into this equation as well.

JM123

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 10:19:13 pm »
£500 for resin!!!!  use a static ro setup and di as a final polish - our resin bill is less than £100 a year.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Trevor Knight

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 09:06:00 am »
What is happening is that he gives me receipts for the running costs. For example if I pay £100 for that week then I get a receipt for £100 running costs which I am guessing I can claim back against tax at the end of the year.

Many thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone else has any input then please feel free as I am finding it very helpful.

By the way the van is around £260 a month on lease.
£500 a year set side for servicing.
Around £300-£400 a year for poles.
£500 for insurance.
£180 for tax on vehicle.
£500 for resin beads, although this figure may need to be looked at together with filters for the Merlin system.

Other bits and pieces come into this equation as well.

Add up your figures you have quoted.

This works out at approx £100 per week total so you should be paying £50 each???

I think situations like this are always open to abuse and can often cause conflict between parties. This receipt he is giving you doesn't sound right to me either. If you are getting 1 receipt for 1 payment how do you break down what it relates to, the tax man will want this information. All sounds a little bit iffy to me  :-\

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire