DaveBrown

Please Advise, please!!
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:31:53 pm »
I know you're all probably fed up of answering silly WFP questions but I am struggling and would really appreciate a bit of advise. I spent loads of time and money on a van and system set up recently but after two weeks on the job I'm really struggling. What I've found is there are two types of glass - ones where the water 'sheets' and others where it forms loads of beads. The former are great - rinse quickly and clean faster and better that trad. The latter is what I am struggling with - Most of the windows I have cleaned seem to do this. It has been taking me silly amounts of time to chase all the beads down the window to rinse. My question is - How do I clean them? How do you clean them?!

Thanks Fellas

Dave

Re: Please Advise, please!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 07:45:16 pm »
Dave,

The glass that beads still will come up spotlessly great.

Wash it and rinse it as normal; taking more time on first WFP cleans.

I only rinse the once if there's no pattern left on the window with my brush (I normally rinse with the brush lightly touching the window).

If there's a pattern left, I'll rinse again with the brush just a few inches off the window.

Just zig-zag it down the window, keeping each 'zig and zag' fairly close together; but don't be too anal about it.

Job done.

aztec

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:58:10 pm »
Sound advice tosh! why does that happen on glass?is it residue left from previous cleans or just some glass is different?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 09:49:53 pm »
Tosh I disagree, not all glass will come up spotless. Thats a "manufacturers type statement"  I have 1 in 10ish  that do not.
come on you have been doing it long enough. ::)

Aztec, yes some glass is different in 8 years I do not have an answer, to the ones that spot and I am being as honest as I can. But with practice you can get it to an acceptable level.

JM123

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 12:52:11 am »
davebrown are you using fan spray nozzles?  If not then get some, you'll find rinsing a lot easier
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

DaveBrown

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 12:51:37 pm »
Thanks for the advise fellas. JM123 - Are these fan spray nozzles a lot better at rinsing than pencil jets? Where can I get them from?

Thanks

Dave

JM123

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 01:30:10 pm »
way better - we've supplied them as standard to all our poles for almost 2 years now.

you can get them from cleantech

www.cleantech.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_40

fitting is simple, simply drill an 8mm hole in the brush head, slide the piping over the nozzle and push them through from the bristle side of the brush.

if you need more help then let me know and I'll post step by step instructions and pics.

Ballymena N.I

DaveBrown

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 01:49:39 pm »
Thanks JM123. Have ordered a couple. will see how it goes.

Dave

JM123

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 01:51:40 pm »
remember the price is per unit, so if you have ordered 3 the last one isn't going to be much use to you.

any probs just start a new thread with 'jm123 ruined my life' or something like that and I'll get back to you.

Ballymena N.I

DaveBrown

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 03:13:33 pm »
Ok JM123. I always thought a couple was 2!!!!!!!!

Dave

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 04:07:10 pm »
Tosh I disagree, not all glass will come up spotless. Thats a "manufacturers type statement"  I have 1 in 10ish  that do not.
come on you have been doing it long enough. ::)

Jeff,

Okay, then, I'll change my statement.

It would be impossible for me to state that every window I clean with a WFP comes up spotless; since I don't hang around to check them.

But I rarely get a complaint; only one in the past eight months; and it was because she opened her sash windows straight after I'd cleaned them, dumping a lot of dirty water onto the bottom pane.

But generally, 'beading glass', such as I have in my own house; comes up spotless.

williamx

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 06:10:40 pm »
I know you're all probably fed up of answering silly WFP questions but I am struggling and would really appreciate a bit of advise. I spent loads of time and money on a van and system set up recently but after two weeks on the job I'm really struggling. What I've found is there are two types of glass - ones where the water 'sheets' and others where it forms loads of beads. The former are great - rinse quickly and clean faster and better that trad. The latter is what I am struggling with - Most of the windows I have cleaned seem to do this. It has been taking me silly amounts of time to chase all the beads down the window to rinse. My question is - How do I clean them? How do you clean them?!

Thanks Fellas

Dave

Dave

You will find that there are 2 types of glass, one is hydrophilic and the other is hydrophobic I don't know why this is, but its probably down to the making of the glass.

Hydrophilic glass will sheet perfectly all the time, while hydrophobic glass forms beads of water on the glass.

In both cases the cleaning effects should not be any different and they will both clean up perfectly, if the glass drys and there is spots or smears left on the glass then this is caused by the glass not being completely free of water containing contaminants.

I have found that the best way to achieve good results is to check that your water has a reading of 000 when cleaning.

The brush head is clear of any dirt.

I put a small amount of gg3 into the water to help on really bad windows but its also good for everyday cleaning (also some customers are happier if they know that you are using a cleaning agent rather than just water).

When I clean a window for the first time I always really scrub down the frames and vents first, I leave them to drip dry then clean the glass.

If you really scrub the glass on this clean then you will find that the results are impressive for future cleans.

Clear Vision

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 06:26:52 pm »

When I clean a window for the first time I always really scrub down the frames and vents first, I leave them to drip dry then clean the glass.

I am so glad I've found someone else who cleans the VENTS  ;)

Everyone tells me to stay well clear of them. and I generaly do but NOT on first cleans!

I clean the whole glass.

My windows on my own house beads and they come up perfect each time! Just spend a bit longer rinsing and they will be fine. Dont wory.

Matthew
Clear Vision

P @ F

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 08:58:02 pm »
I have only ever had 1 house with bad windows , and then i think it was more down to the customer than the glass , she would have always found somthing wrong , i can honestly say that i still think it is down to how well you do your job , probably get some backs up there but i think its true , take pride and the result will be good , i can back this up as i have as i said only ever had the 1 prob , until i do get the spots and runs i will see it this way .

Rich   P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !