cybersye

just bought a new ro and got a problem
« on: August 19, 2006, 10:09:34 am »
Hi, just bought and fitted a new ro from gardiners, a 450 gpd. I will be contacting them Monday (saturday now) but just wondered if someone could shed light on the problem in meantime, incase theres something blindingly obvious i hav'nt done.
Flushed the first 50 ltrs to drain, and then began filtering, tds reading 380 ppm from mains, pressure 75 psi, product reading started at 015 ppm and steadily rising within 20 mins to 075 ppm and still rising! whats going wrong?
any advice appreciated
Thanks Simon

cybersye

Re: just bought a new ro and got a problem
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 12:08:39 pm »
Sorry, there was something blindingly obvious, read the instructions twice!  ::)
manual says to disgard first 10 gallons down drain because of a cleaning solution in system, took this to mean flush 10 gallons, after producing 10 gallons tds is coming down, phew! all appears to be ok
Simon

freshwater

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 12:27:33 pm »
Hi cyber,

Yes all new membranes contain a disinfectant, and as the instructions say discard the first X gallons of water. Also its worth remembering that new membranes take a few hours to settle down, take a TDS reading after say 4 hours of running and everything should be OK. On a quality TFC you should expect 90-98 reduction. When we test our systems on out tap water at 350 ppm we normally get 5 to 6ppm at 70psi on our high quality membranes and 7-10ppm on our cheaper TFC membranes.

steve@freshwatersystems.co.uk

cybersye

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 12:47:47 pm »
Thanks for the advice Steve,
incidentally, which tds meter is more accurate? the inline one is showing much lower than my handheld?

handheld tds for supply = 380 ppm / ro produced = 064 ppm

inline tds for supply = 265 ppm / ro produced = 005 ppm

I'm a little confused ???

regards
Simon

freshwater

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 12:57:16 pm »
cyber,

Usually its the hand held ones that are the best, your supplier should be have calibration fluids, its a liquid that has a know tds, you can stick your meter in it and check the reading. I would only use the in-line types as a guide to system performance i.e. is it up or down from day to day.

steve@freshwatersystems.co.uk

matt

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 03:29:04 pm »
RO-MAN systems tend to take me aprox 12 - 18 hours to finally settle down

just disconnect the DI for this time and let it run down the drain, then your all set

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 10:43:14 pm »
RO-MAN systems tend to take me aprox 12 - 18 hours to finally settle down

just disconnect the DI for this time and let it run down the drain, then your all set
jeez! as long as that, well I doubt theres much wrong with it then, i'll be patient and monitor it, I'd only used a merlin before and that just seemed a plumb in and go affair, thanks everyone ;D
simon