ronaldo

Re: How would youse do this
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 09:22:58 am »
If your going to get into this type of work for which there is going to be high reward as not many can even contemplate taking it on then go and invest in the right kit and do the job properley.
Heres the link where my brother bought his trailer mounted lift from if it helps you.

www.towableaccess.co.uk
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 12:24:16 pm »
It would probably mean each customer would be paying about £30 for 3 or 4 windows.

Somehow I don't think they'll jump at that.....

ps. Don't worry Trev, I'm sure I'll say something soon that you can disagree with again. ;D

valroyb

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 05:11:04 pm »
hi all why dont you just arrange to do it on saturday or a sunday and price accordingly  :)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 05:39:54 pm »
I do a couple like these, if they are not in tough like Trev says but i will clean the tops of the doors best i can with a long gooseneck, 1/2 a clean is better than no clean.

It looks like a very lucrative job, i would not hesitate to quote for it.

Dave

alansavvi

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 05:42:24 pm »
I have one of these and i have told them that the best way is with a cherry picker.

Majestic

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 06:47:01 pm »
If you use a cherry picker how are you going to get to the doors on the balcony, climb out of the picker.
Like I said if they are in clean them from there flats, if not leave just  them

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 07:15:03 pm »
I dont like repeating myself but rope access is the answer

I agree with Chris.

I'm not IRATA trained, but I know I could abseil down to each of those verandas; using Wor Lass as a 'Belay Monkey', as long as there was a safe tying off point somewhere on the roof.

But if I did that 'untrained', I would probably be classed as a cowboy.

But Chris's method is probably the simplest.

P®oPole™

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 07:21:31 pm »
why take it on ??? ££££££££££££££££ thats why, theres a price for everything and big money could be made from that job.

Cherry picker.
Cherry picker?
More money wasted, more bother.....

You got to be desperate for work.

Roger you obiously dont know what your talking about mate, this probably goes into the four figure sum region, how can you knock that.

It looks like theres a gap of about 6-8" between the rails you could easily slip a 4ft down there, back pack in the picker, or do what trevor said but sometimes you wont be able to get away with this.

JohnL

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 08:40:19 pm »
how do you absail a roofed roof - its not flat!

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

JohnL

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2006, 10:20:13 am »
I dont know why this is such a problem. It seems getting the balconies done which are causing concern  so Trevor has the right idea - read his thread and the important bit

-  If, when we arrive, they are in, we knock and clean the balcony windows. If they are out, TOUGH!

Its the managed compromise between getting the overall job done, safety and cost. Any other solution is just hedging the ecomics of the job.

A no brainer!

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

P®oPole™

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2006, 01:15:25 pm »
JohnL sometimes this is just not possible, they want all the windows cleaned or someone else gets the job, I have a job which has 987 windows if i dont clean every single pane I dont get paid which means gaing acsess to certain parts of the building.

Majestic

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2006, 04:02:34 pm »
Whoever gets the job will have the same problem , so just let them know in advance that there could be a problem doing all the balconys, but you will try

JohnL

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 11:43:13 pm »
This sort of job is a matter of percentages. from what I can see the balconies are the minor part of the total no of windows which need cleaning and I am sure the management of this building would go along with the  understanding that a weeks notice to gain access is well within any limits or constraints, and if the tenants dont wish to cooperate then thats there problem.

I think any management unit not allowing leeway on a large unit contract needs a good talking to   :)

JohnL