Fast 1 *

grrrrrrrrr
« on: August 16, 2006, 10:31:28 pm »
Dont you just hate it when you go to collect your money,and they say "but you only come round a little while ago",as if you are trying to do them out of money.I stick to my dates.I think i might start writing down on a calling card when their next wash is.YES THATS RIGHT IM MOANING AGAIN.Also,i dont like it when people go on holiday,and dont leave any money,or let you know.I think some people need beating with sticks
wildstyles

edd

Re: grrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 10:39:52 pm »
dam right big hugh sticks

Fast 1 *

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 10:41:31 pm »
What,hugh grant? ;D
wildstyles

craig jwc

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 10:43:47 pm »
I got fed up of it i stopped collecting.

I haven't been out collecting for over 2 - 3 months now.

Some people are slow but most are sending Cheques or even bringing it round my house within a week.

I tell all my new customers that i don't collect due to peoples commitments and due to the cost of me coming out to collect and finding people not in, was costing an extra £XX in fuel each week. Plus the amount of customers on my books didn't give me much of a home life after been out working during the day, then having to go out collecting.

Some of the slow payers i am going to start leaving and addressed envelope as a hint or reminder.

Craig

niceandclean

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:47:03 pm »
If the customer is not home i always leave a self addressed envelope, i dont put a stamp on it. I find i have a cheque within a few days to a week.

Shine, glasgow!

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 10:50:14 pm »
What,hugh grant? ;D
No, run 'em down with Hugh Lorries  ;D

Fast 1 *

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:57:41 pm »
wildstyles

Fast 1 *

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 11:04:02 pm »
Yep,im gonna start giving self addressed envelopes.Its not a problem,if the works reasonably local.Sometimes i write on the back of the calling card when im coming to collect,but that doesnt make any difference.Collecting does my head in
wildstyles

Fast 1 *

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 11:06:48 pm »
If the customer is not home i always leave a self addressed envelope, i dont put a stamp on it. I find i have a cheque within a few days to a week.
Do you have problems with people remembering?
wildstyles

craig jwc

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 11:16:09 pm »
Think you will always have that problem.

I have a customer who told me she doesn't have a cheque book.
I told her i would except Postal Orders or if they are on the Internet i would let them pay me through Internet Banking.

I am at the moment thinking of approaching a shop in town that my customers could go to to make payment. Everyone goes into town at some point during the week.

I think if you give enough methods of payment there is no excuse.

If there is still problems i'll be dropping them.

Craig

Fast 1 *

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 11:18:54 pm »
Mind you,it means"goodbye cash"
wildstyles

niceandclean

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 11:31:58 pm »
I have had the odd few that forget, if i dont recieve the money within a week ill call to remind them. And once you have called them they are embarassed and they are never late again. Im like you i hate having to go round and collect money, to be fair most people leave the money for me, but if they forget i always get the money within a few days with the S.A.E. Give it a go!

craig jwc

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 11:32:31 pm »
You will still get cash through the ones that are in.

I thought that but collected just over £300 last week in cash.

It's just another option for you to be paid if they aren't in.

I put everything through my books so i am not bothered if i receive cheques.

I'm not saying this is correct, but i have had customers say that because i except other methods of payment than just cash it shows that i am working a proper business and not some fly by night trying to make a bit on the side.

I have even had customers change over to me just because of this reason.

End of the day as long as i get paid for the work i am happy.

Craig

niceandclean

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 11:36:06 pm »
Also another idea is to get the customer to pay for a few cleans up front. I have 4 customers who do this as they are away on business or just at work. 3 pay every 6 months the other every 4 months.

craig jwc

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 11:41:57 pm »
Also another idea is to get the customer to pay for a few cleans up front. I have 4 customers who do this as they are away on business or just at work. 3 pay every 6 months the other every 4 months.

I think this idea is ok aslong as you have been cleaning the customers house for a while so there is some sort of trust there.
For new customers i don't think you would find it that easy.

Craig

niceandclean

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 11:50:01 pm »
All of them were new customers, i said that if it is easier for them due to work commitments this is something that i do. I draw up a little contract to say how many cleans ect for ex amount of money. All been happy so far. Im thinking of putting a few letters out to a few more of my customers who are never at home when i clean.

craig jwc

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 11:59:20 pm »
I wouldn't mind a few of my late paying customers doing this, but i think a few of them have been stung before by other w/c's in the past.

niceandclean

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 12:13:27 am »
Well all you can do is ask. What you could say is that this is what you can offer now and a few of your customers have decided that this was a good idea and have signed up for it. Tell them it saves your time and theirs because your customers lead busy lives and the last thing on thier mind is having the windows cleaned but its something that they want done, so at least you will just turn up every 4 weeks as usual but they have not got to worry about payment as its all been taking care of in advance, makes sense mr customer doesnt it????

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 10:09:35 pm »
the bloke that i work for gets envelopes printed up with his address on and they are postage paid..the customers seem to like this setup and most pay up pretty quickly
when I'm cleaning windows

dai

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 10:27:05 pm »
I have lost customers through them having to pay for 3 or 4 cleans in one go. They never think that I have had to wait 4 months to get paid. They just see themselves having to fork out £30 for window cleaning. There is a worrying trend amongst younger customers not to have cheque books. Dai

pylofm

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 10:52:34 pm »
Alot of people have internet banking...I am located in Holland and most people here seem to be ok with paying in either cash or via internet bank transfer...

It seems to be making mylife and the customers easier...for them to pay via internet.

I remember that when I lived and worked in the U.K most things could be purchase by online transactions...I think it is the way to go.

Cheers
Dave.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 06:43:00 am »
I have started to target customers based on age in relation to how they pay.

Blue rinse brigade - Pay on the day, collect or send cheque.

All others - Online Banking - Post cheque - Telephone call for chasing up!

What I am seriously looking at and currently doing a customer survey on is the credit card payment facility via handheld terminal through Barclays.

Response so far 15% yes, which is 15% less collecting. Just balancing costs etc.....

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Fast 1 *

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 02:58:24 pm »
the bloke that i work for gets envelopes printed up with his address on and they are postage paid..the customers seem to like this setup and most pay up pretty quickly
how did he sort out the postage payed part?
wildstyles

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 08:34:32 pm »
you would have to contact "business reply service" and pay them x amount per amount of envelopes.(business reply service is what it says on the envelope anyway)
these are small brown envelopes approx 6" x 3"
and 2nd class
other than that i dont know much more about them. I will be finding out when i can tho, will come in handy for me when i got my own round up and running again!!
when I'm cleaning windows

craig jwc

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 09:10:30 pm »
Royal Mail do one that runs off your PC.

Think it's £4.99 per month or £89 for a year for the download and use of the program.
After that you pay for each postage you print.

I've been looking into it but not sure yet.

Craig

Richy L

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006, 10:04:53 am »
i just leave a slip with the amount left to pay, thier address and the date and ask my customers to send it to me through the post. All are willing to do that, sometimes people wait until they owe for twice before sending it, but i can live with that. With some of my more 'wealthy' customers i recommend that they pay for three cleans in ADVANCE, and a lot of them are more than willing to do so.
I used to hate those friday nights collecting! Now i dont do  any collecting!its great!! ;D

JM123

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2006, 01:58:10 pm »
we use labelled envelopes so they can send us a cheque - however we've had a few not wanting to play the game, one woman in particular told us it was OUR job to come around and collect the money, thats how its always been done - I got on the phone to her and explained about time taken to collect etc but she was having none of it, not sure whether to dump her or just let it build up and collect once every 3/4 months.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

pylofm

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2006, 07:48:53 pm »
We now leave a A6 sized leaflet with our customers after a clean with all our details (inc bank info) on and when their next clean is due...As I am new to all this I hope it works.

Cheers
Dave.

ronaldo

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2006, 07:57:03 pm »
I hate collecting that much that every Thursday when i get back i feel like selling my round and packing up.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

stephen d

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2006, 10:54:29 pm »
self addressed envelopes works for me(customers pay postage)about once every 2/3 months go out and collect the ones that owe 2/3 cleans and usually persuade them to pay in advance for future cleans,there usually embarrased because they owe so much that they agree to this.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 08:30:14 pm »
I hate collecting that much that every Thursday when i get back i feel like selling my round and packing up.
really?It cant be that bad mate
wildstyles