geefree

MUST BE AN EASIER WAY
« on: August 16, 2006, 03:14:17 pm »
HI AGAIN
I know its only my second day out there and i will get faster with each day, but i find my speed with the applicator and squeegie aint too bad , its the edges i have trouble with, i use a scrim to whip round the edges , but i have to go round it about ten times before any smears disappear, i nipped out and bought a microfibre cloth, that seems to work better after the scrim, but should i have to be there that long on the edges or is there an easier way, i would be grateful of any advice.

thanks.  gary.

patwoods

Re: MUST BE AN EASIER WAY
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 03:24:33 pm »
Hi Gary,
Get yourself a gag of old towels from cleaning supplies and mop the window first then get the cloth around the edges and then use the squeege,it's easy after a few days do'nt worry about speed but quality the speed will get there it's the quality of your work that's the most important ;)

Roy Harding

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:25:10 pm »
Hi Gary

Have you tried detailing the window first. before you squeegee.

Roy

geefree

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 03:28:29 pm »
ah ... thanks lads , its the dirt i miss with the applicator thats causing the smears isnt it?.. of course :D... also its the first clean.
cheers will do as you suggest.

M4RK

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 03:31:47 pm »
Try not to get too much water on the frames when you mop. Get as close to the edge without touching it.
Try 'dog-earing' your channel too. That means getting a pair of pliers and slightly bending in the ends of the channel towards the rubber. Make sure you don't overdo it,  but just enough to put a bit of extra pressure on the end of the channel while you squeegee.

Hope that helps.
Mark

Roy Harding

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 03:32:15 pm »
Gary Soap up all the window right to the edges then wipe with a scrim around the edges an the squeegee off. You will also find it a help if you dog ear your squeegee channels as well.

Roy

geefree

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 03:34:48 pm »
cheers mark will try that, , will try all things to get there, tell you what i just nipped in for a coffee and im whacked lol... think at the moment my work is too spread out.

geefree

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 03:36:09 pm »
see..! you two?... experts think alike :)

KJG

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 03:47:26 pm »
As Roy said. Mop window, wipe top and sides with cloth (cheap thin towel or big 'terry weave' microfibre) then squeegee off. Try focusing your eyes on the leading side of the blade while doing the edges. You should end up with just a few mm's of soapy water to scrim/micro off - even on windows with the flushest of seals. 

A small, usually un-noticed bonus of commercial work is that you rarely come across the dreaded white Upvc frames with those annoying seals.

geefree

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 03:52:31 pm »
Cheers kjg... yes the seals are annoying , just when i think its done.. again ,..i climb down the ladder and see another smear so back up i go,.. not suprised am whacked lol. thanks agin. ;)