Alistair@AWC

Pressure Loss Help!!!!!!!!!!
« on: August 10, 2006, 04:29:25 pm »
After running out of water whilst out on a job today I came back home to fill up but when I got back to the job my water pressure was very poor.

I guessed that air had gotten into the sytem so I left it to run through for a while but this had no effect, if I turn off the flow valve at my pole with the pump running then turn it back on, the water pressure briefly returns but then fades as if there is something blocking the water.

My system is 400l tank to a 700ml RO-Man DI canister to a 100psi Shurflo pump to a 100m microbore hose to a 18ft Excel pole.............if it matters

Anyone got any ideas before I start pulling things apart.

Regards

Alistair

jeff evans

Re: Pressure Loss Help!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:54:58 pm »
Hi Alister

You will have an air lock in it,i have had this a couple of times when i have let the water get to low in my tank.

What i do is take my hose pipe of my hose reel, and make sure my pump is below the level of my tank outlet, then run the pump untill the water is flowing freely,once you have it freely flowing through the pump it will be O.K.  :)

Cheers Jeff

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:28:59 pm »
Thanks Jeff

Do you mean unravel the hose until its fully extended or do you mean remove the hose from the hose reel.

Regards

Alistair

jeff evans

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 05:49:14 pm »
Remove the hose to the hose reel, and if it has a non return valve on, remove that so you just have an open ended hose.

I do not have a di on mine so you may have to take the pipe of the inlet to your pump first to make sure the air lock is not before your pump.

Cheers jeff

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 07:23:42 pm »
Hi Jeff,

I know this is an old post now but since for one reason or another Ive had a few airlocks in my system over the last week, with the first one taking me 4 hours to work out Ive now got it down to under a minute.

Just remove the hose that is attached to the outlet of your pump, turn on the pump and then give it a good suck until you get a steady flow of water coming through, turn off the pump and reattach the hose. DONE

Regards

Alistair

jeff evans

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 07:38:43 pm »
Cheers Alistair, anything that saves time must be a good tip. 8)

simbo

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 04:40:09 pm »
Hi all this pump of mine is driving me nuts. just got back from hols, before i whent had probs thought perhaps it was pressure switch so just fitted a new one. Now when i disconnect outlet pipe air escapes at first then i get a steady stream, then i attach to hose and i seem to be getting a flow but full of air bubbles at a reduced psi so still no good also most of the time if i turn off tap on pole the pump seems like it is going to cut out but then just cycles on and hey presto air in again
its driving me nuts so please help!!!!!
simb0

abacus

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 06:07:26 pm »
Hi simbo
under the pump is a small allen key grub screw if you turn it one way it will bring the pump up to pressure quiclkly the other way brings it up slowly  I think its clockwise for quickly
it sounds lik your not comming up to pressure quick enough if you pardon the expression. this is for sureflow pumps not sure if flow jet have the adjuster

other than that you could have a problem with the three pump heads inside the top section these are replaceable 

also if the pump is hot all of the time and the sound has become harsh or gritty it could be wearring out how old is it?

regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

JM123

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 06:35:59 pm »
or you could have damaged the diaphragm
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

simbo

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 08:12:44 pm »
grant, pump only 8 months old! just really confused by the fact pump cuts and then sort of clicks and starts running again when it should be stopped also it has not had that much use at all really does sound a bit gritty though. I think i will have to ring williams pumps where i got it from, maybe they will know
cheers simbo

simbo

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 08:28:14 pm »
only grub screw i could find is on the top of the pressure switch, shurflo pump gave a couple of turns clockwise and seems better so will test properly tomorrow and keep fingers crossed
cheers all simbo

abacus

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 06:22:47 pm »
Hi simbo

If the screw is on the top nthe pump is not in an ideal position as if you get a leek it run into the pump and should be fitted the other way up or on its side

best of luck
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

simbo

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 11:08:37 pm »
abacus,thanks for reply. Contacted williamsons today very helpfull, cleaned valves checked all joints and fittings and just for good mesure added more ptf tape to fitting and guess what "improvement" decided to put a little more tape on the inlet side of pump as i use red washing machine hose and away it went, i was well chuffed who would have thought a tiny little intake of air could cause so much trouble.
anyway at least i got a spare pressure switch that i need not have bought
thanks all simbo