tom20001

Pw acting like starved for water
« on: April 21, 2023, 08:56:53 am »
My pressure washer is acting like it's starved for water when there is full tank available .  It does it intermittently at the moment and if i switch off normally corrects itself.  Also feels at times like its not firing on all cylinders which i assume part of same problem. You know that sound a washer normally makes if you have reached the bottom of barrel and it can't get water.  Well thats what mine is doing . It's a Honda gx 390 , never given any trouble. Any ideas. Thanks lads

zesty

Re: Pw acting like starved for water
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 09:23:10 am »
Usually it’s runs well when there is no water as the pump is dry so the engine isn’t under load?

Blocked carb?

New spark plug needed?

Pump had it?

tom20001

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 09:27:32 am »
Usually it’s runs well when there is no water as the pump is dry so the engine isn’t under load?

Blocked carb?

New spark plug needed?

Pump had it?

Yes engine definitely running fine when no water. In hindsight the pressure being down a little probably happened a few times but it's was so minimal I didn't pay much heed to it. But yesterday gave problems intermittently and had to fiddle around with it to make it work a few times.  Thanks Zesty I'll look at spark plug and cab

Slacky

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 03:59:20 pm »
Blocked water filter?

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 05:07:30 pm »
Either blocked filter or one of the pump cylinders has a bit dirt trapped in it - this causes it to run unevenly and loss of pressure

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

tom20001

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 05:15:48 pm »
Either blocked filter or one of the pump cylinders has a bit dirt trapped in it - this causes it to run unevenly and loss of pressure

Darran

The pump cylinders,  is that something I should be able to open myself simply ? Thanks Darran

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 08:24:20 pm »
Yes - I use interplay mp but all basically the same - on the pump head are large nuts undo that to reveal the seal it’s a plastic cage with rubber seal and spring - push the rubber seal down - it should freely spring back and sit flat - if not there is a bit of grit stuck to it - there are six to check
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

tom20001

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 11:24:44 am »
Thanks lads top advice as per normal. Blew out cab and done bit with plug and it sorted it. I'll buy a plug to have for it in the van as well just in case.  Cheers

tom20001

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 08:30:13 pm »
Lads how often do yeah service p/w . As in machine hours roughly? My one is starting to do the same as original post again

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 09:04:15 pm »
oil - plug - filter once a year thats about 1,300 running hours

Darran

CleanClear

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 09:32:31 pm »
You're not getting grit/dirt in your petrol tank are you when you top the tank up ? Pop a torch into top of tank and have a look ?
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Matt.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 06:36:43 pm »
Yes I had grit in my fuel tank before today, and even had to replace the little filter under the tank before today……

So a few years back I had a service done on a jet wash by Rutland pumps, when I got it back could I hell get it to run properly, any who’s they sent engineer to me and after checking  everything  possible and. it ended up being the inlet hose connector going into the machine, he whipped off the qr connector and put an inlet connector on it tightened clip up and away she went. 
It’s not suton that u would expect to happen but give it a check an make sure no air is getting in 👍

tom20001

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2023, 09:19:14 pm »
Seems to have been the inlet filter from water source lads. Wasn't fully blocked but some dirt caught up in fine filter in there. For anyone unfamiliar with it , it's the y piece on my gx390 in from water hose. Screws off easy enough  inch and 1/16 spanner  and fine filter in there which I just blew out and cleaned with air compressor. 

tom20001

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2023, 09:20:17 pm »

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2023, 10:01:28 am »
I don't use the y strainer anymore - they do work but can be a pain to get at

I fit these now

Darran