mickwc

Handy man service as a add on???
« on: May 11, 2012, 07:46:03 pm »
Hi all,

Since i've been set up for the second time as a window cleaner things have been going well, i've already added things like gutter cleaning, drive cleaning and so on, but i keep getting asked about other things, painting, fencing someone even asked me if i could point up the side of thier house!!! I was wondering if anyone one offered a handy man service and if so does it work?? i been looking around at a few setups, and have found dialahandyman.com, looks really good, not a franchise you just pay a monthly licence fee! could this work along side window cleaning??

Mick

bobplum

Re: Handy man service as a add on???
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:49:25 pm »
depends how much time you have? as regards the size of your round

mickwc

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:59:28 pm »
i'd cover as much as i could at first, then get a part time man and  little van and see how it goes. i'm still biulding my rounds at the moment so have some spare time

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:13:24 pm »
jusy had a look at that site, looks really good, cant see why this could not be an addition or a stand alone business when window cleaning gets going, this interests me a great deal.
 ;D
And already have a nice sized customer base
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

bobby p

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 08:19:07 pm »
be careful you dont get out of your depth.  people will sue you if theres a bad consequence to you fixing something

mickwc

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 08:26:46 pm »
Hi Bobby,
My wife is a solicitor!! i don't get to take risks!! lol

Slash

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:32:14 pm »
I do offer my body as an add on but not alot of people take my sevices as I am quite expensive and only the wealthy can afford me ;D

mickwc

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:39:56 pm »
only really looking at doing small handyman type jobs, like lawn mowing, fencing, cutting hedges then inside the house putting up shelves, painting, even changing a bulb!!i'd be insured after all! i'd offer my body but not sure i'd get many takers!!! lol

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 08:42:06 pm »
you could offer it if you want to be "jack of all trades".me personally likes to stick to maintenance window cleaning and the cleaning "add ons" like conny roof/fascia/soffit cleaning with the equipment i already have.

id rather leave the faffing about to other trademen.i see guys all the time with their big dirty vans with upteen tools in the van getting stressed while im (in toshs words!) mincing about with a water fed pole!!

i got into this business for the low stress,flexibilty and to be able to take an afternoon off or day off here and there and to be out of the "rat race".

i prefer to do one job well (cleaning)and concentrate on that.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

bobby p

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 08:47:49 pm »
Hi Bobby,
My wife is a solicitor!! i don't get to take risks!! lol
thats a stroke of luck,      having your own brief !

Steve foster

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 09:04:58 pm »
I do both. My window cleaning round is not big enough to give full time work.
I can do most jobs as have worked with skilled tradesmen helping from various trades.
The windows provide a good regular income and the handyman stops me getting bored 
with window licking.
You will need a hell of of a lot of gear though, depending on your skills. Also use the car 
for that side of the work and keep the van just for the windows.

VSP Home Care

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 09:17:06 pm »
Go for it, just approach it professionally and don't undersell whatever service your doing for the customer.  I doubt you'll earn more per hour than you should be on the window work alone though.  But its handy if you don't have a decent sized round to keep you busy.

Also it's sometimes nice to do something different.  Double and treble check your insurances as you'll find all sorts in there that's not covered.  We're kind of the other way round I guess, small window and busy doing other jobs.

Personally I'd advise you to try and work your current customers into having you look after their lawns and windows together, offer them a slight saving on the single prices.

Good luck.

mickwc

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 09:17:45 pm »
Nice one Steve!!

i'm still building my rounds so would have time to do this, but was thinking long term, this could turn into another business running along side the window cleaning.

i was thinking it might be good when the weather is as bad as it has been the last few weeks, you could just go out and do any jobs you have booked in.

Window Washers

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 09:24:49 pm »
be careful you dont get out of your depth.  people will sue you if theres a bad consequence to you fixing something
thats what we have insurance for
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

mickwc

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 06:46:11 am »
correct!!! ;D ;D

Londoner

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 07:04:05 am »
My mate does it. He gets loads of work but its a lot of faffing about. You don't need to join a scheme you really don't at all.

Granny

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 08:07:51 am »
Hi
I started out this way in December and have just finished my 4th painting job plus gardening, fixing gates, gutters even cut the panels out of cabinet doors so they could put college project stained glass in -  all kinds of stuff.
It is great for inside work when it is chucking it down but the windows are building up and to be honest windows are a damm sight easier and far less complicated.
All that faffing about washing brushes and sheeting up paint pots, loading the tools up taking everything 'cos you don't want to have to come back for something etc....
Plus I did a £200 paint job and on the last coat it all started blistering and reacting. I managed to rescue it and got paid but I could have easily lost the whole job whereas that amount on windows would have been made up of several different jobs - unlikely I would K****k them all up ;D

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 08:36:02 am »
exactly granny!!once you have a good solid customer base you wont want to be faffing around doing other jobs!trust me!!years ago i used to do a bit of gardening and painting jobs as well as window cleaning then my round just grew and grew!! ;) ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

red star

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 09:08:12 am »
 i run a window cleaning and gardening business side by side also still keep my hand in project managing some construction work when the moneys right theres only me plus 1 and to be honest im struggling to keep up and  are looking at selling the garden business on and by building comitments finish in a few weeks giving me the opprtunity to concentrate on one thing
there isnt enough days in the week sorting out servicing  quoting juggling jobs due to weather invoicing etc etc
think hard before expanding
the rewards are good but then do you want the extra hours that go with it

supernova77

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 09:08:53 am »
If you build a good solid window cleaning business then you will (should) be earning more than being a handy man, mowing lawns, putting up fences etc...

Look at it long term... If you are spending time on handy man type work then it's less time being able to build up a window cleaning business which will (should) earn you more money.

Also... If you are offering lots of different types of services then you need lots of other equipment which means you have to spread your money buying different tools for different jobs, whereas if you concentrate on window cleaning you have the money to buy good quality equipment specific to the job.

I only offer window cleaning and conservatory roof cleaning now... If someone asks me about gutter cleaning or pressure washing etc.. I pass the work on to someone else.

I would rather spend my time servicing my regular window cleaning round and picking up more regular window cleaning work as its REPEAT work.

Andy

red star

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 09:10:15 am »
If you build a good solid window cleaning business then you will (should) be earning more than being a handy man, mowing lawns, putting up fences etc...

Look at it long term... If you are spending time on handy man type work then it's less time being able to build up a window cleaning business which will (should) earn you more money.

Also... If you are offering lots of different types of services then you need lots of other equipment which means you have to spread your money buying different tools for different jobs, whereas if you concentrate on window cleaning you have the money to buy good quality equipment specific to the job.

I only offer window cleaning and conservatory roof cleaning now... If someone asks me about gutter cleaning or pressure washing etc.. I pass the work on to someone else.

I would rather spend my time servicing my regular window cleaning round and picking up more regular window cleaning work as its REPEAT work.

Andy

totally agree

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 10:08:03 am »
We've been offering gardening as well as window cleaning but have scaled it right back.
Too much kit in the van (more expense to maintain) and you don't make as much money out of it.
In my opinion, keep it simple and stick to window cleaning and jobs like gutter cleaning, conservatory roofs etc just as add ons for window cleaning customers. We don't do these as 'one off's any more because again it's taking the focus off getting to your regulars.

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 02:53:43 pm »
From what I know about handymen they use the tools that most of us own anyway, the majority of the jobs can be done with a basic tool kit.

Mick is not asking you to sell him the window cleaning business as he is growing that really well, he is asking if a handyman service would fit well along side his current business. My thoughts are yes it would fit very well and www.dialahandyman.com looks like a really well put together opportunity.

He has ambition to do more than build a one man lifestyle business....

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 03:09:38 pm »
The website does look good and the kind of services they are offering probably would fit well with window cleaning if your round isn't full and as the business grows could be marketed separately perhaps if need be.  My only problem with 'handy men' is that are they really good at all the things they promote? If they are great, if not could be storing up lots of trouble with botched jobs.
This firm doesn't seem to offer gardening which is probably wise,  not sure what others experiences are but we've found it's not a good fit with window cleaning and to do a decent job kit can get expensive.

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 03:17:49 pm »
I think you have to take a long hard look at your skill set before you go into this business but from what I can see most of the work is basic diy so should be ok. I think mick wants to do some himself but take on a part timer too from reading his posts, I think it would work really well. Its a tempting offer and I dont agree with the fella who said you dont need to do this. I am sure the branding would really help you grow a top notch business...

Dave.

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 03:20:36 pm »
I had a home & garden maintenance / handyman business and started doing windows as an additional service.

I started trad - then decided to build a wfp trailer set up.  Bit the bullet and canvassed for window work - quickly realised I could earn more concentrating on just windows, with the odd handyman job here & there

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 03:23:10 pm »
What do you do an hour on the glass dave? If you dont mind me asking...

Dave.

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 03:44:35 pm »
I never discuss what I actually earn now, however when I was looking at a handyman jobs I used to charge £15 p/h - many people thought that was expensive. 

Needless to say I can earn considerably more per hour 'on the glass' 8)

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 03:58:46 pm »
Well they charge 25 and have a good few agents working already....

I wouldnt run a business for 15 quid an hour...

andyM

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 06:36:41 pm »
The trouble with offering a "handy man service" is that you really do need to have experience of doing this type of work.
Some jobs you might get asked to do may look straight forward on the surface but would you know how to sort out problems if things go wrong?
For example if you took on a small wallpapering job and when you removed the paper the plaster had blown and started coming away from the wall would you know how to resolve it?
With experience its likely you would of detected this problem at the beginning.
Or someone might ask you to do an "easy job" removing old tiles in the kitchen or bathroom and replace with new ones. But while removing the old tiles the plasterboard from the stud wall starts coming away in lumps and destroys the partition. Would you know how to restore it?
I get asked to do a lot of different jobs for customers but I turn them down even though I have the experience to do it because I prefer just sticking to doing windows. Its less hassle! 

One of the Plebs

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 08:00:12 pm »
I agree but thats why I would consider the dialahandyman option, there is always support on the end of the phone from a network of very experienced handymen....

andyM

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 08:38:34 pm »
I agree but thats why I would consider the dialahandyman option, there is always support on the end of the phone from a network of very experienced handymen....

Meanwhile you're sweating like a glassblowers arse wondering how the hell you can get yourself out of this mess without ending up out of pocket and the custie walks into the room asking you "How's it all going?"(for the tenth time!)
 ;D
One of the Plebs

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 08:47:43 pm »
Yes I agree you may get into one or two situations but I think they will have been through all the problems and issues before so can hopefully protect you as much as possible. I have downloaded the prospectus and I would rather have the support of the network than not.... I think the start up costs and the monthly fee are reasonable too....

mickwc

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 10:02:26 pm »
Hi All!!

GD window cleaning is right, i would be doing some of this myself at first, but if it did work and i did get plenty of work i would take on a part timer, then make full time when needed. i like the sound of dialahandyman because you have back up and advice when needed but don't have to pay out a big franchise fee at first.

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 10:08:29 pm »
I think being part of a network and using their branding is worth fortunes and you can hit the ground running...

Window Washers

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 12:22:43 am »
The trouble with offering a "handy man service" is that you really do need to have experience of doing this type of work.
Some jobs you might get asked to do may look straight forward on the surface but would you know how to sort out problems if things go wrong?
For example if you took on a small wallpapering job and when you removed the paper the plaster had blown and started coming away from the wall would you know how to resolve it?
With experience its likely you would of detected this problem at the beginning.
Or someone might ask you to do an "easy job" removing old tiles in the kitchen or bathroom and replace with new ones. But while removing the old tiles the plasterboard from the stud wall starts coming away in lumps and destroys the partition. Would you know how to restore it?
I get asked to do a lot of different jobs for customers but I turn them down even though I have the experience to do it because I prefer just sticking to doing windows. Its less hassle!  

to be honest if you was a handy man, these are very easy things to fix imo, I would be totally confident to do this as have done up a couple of houses where this has happened, patching plaster is easy, as is fixing plaster board, if plaster board was damaged it would not destroy a partition any way as they has 2 sides, so you would only need to fix one.

I agree with people not knowing what they are doing should not do this kind of work, but anyone wanting to do it, and had some experience it would be good.

With paper on walls you cannot detect it before removing the paper (a lot of the time ) steamers can and do damage plaster thats not sound. but anyone that know this already would per warn a customer. I asked someone a few weeks back to quote to do my hallways as I dont have the time, and they said this very thing, if the wall paper comes off and the wall needs to be filled it will cost this much extra, we will not know this till the paper is of, more so that the paper could have been there years to cover the damaged plaster. this is a normal thing to happen.

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 12:41:01 am »
Very good points, I am sure you will get training and support and you will very quickly learn... I am sure there are people who this wouldnt be suitable for but I am certain it would be a good addition for some people...

Londoner

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 10:11:34 am »
I think being part of a network and using their branding is worth fortunes and you can hit the ground running...

Thats always assuming that it is what it says it is and not just "we take your money and do FA in return" which a lot of these schemes seem to be. Not just handyman businesses. This has been done to many different things. Window cleaning, oven cleaning, the domestic cleaning world is full of them.

Far too many people are all too willing to be the middle man, taking the money and maybe running a few big ads in yellow pages. Then you do the work and they sit back.

Don't automatically assume it is as good as they say it is. 

Paul Coleman

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 10:23:32 am »
I did a few other bits and pieces until my round got fuller but after that, it really was a nuisance that interfered with my window cleaning income - so I stopped.
These days I just put them in contact with someone I know.  Occasionally one of the guys might reciprocate with a new window cleaning job.  Another alternative is to get them to put a tenner or a score on top for you but I prefer not to go down that route.  You could even get someone to price it and add some profit on for yourself - though you do become responsible to the customer for the work if you do that.

bobby p

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 12:15:31 pm »
 somewhere i saw you can buy bad workmanship insurance ,

youd need it to cover all sorts of claims such as banging down a floorboard nail that then pierces a waterpipe running below it .

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2012, 12:40:27 pm »
I am sure they have all the bases covered, as well as www.dialahandyman.com there are others, mr handyman is the largest handyman company in the world and hireahubby is massive too. They all seem to get along just fine, I know window cleaning is a good business to be in but I think I would like the variety of running a handyman business...

Total shine cleaning services

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2012, 11:27:26 pm »
I personally think if u concentrate on windows,gutters and conservatories and get your pricing right then you would lose money on some of the handyman jobs you did, I constantly look at ways of improving my round and the odd jobs I used to do are slowly getting dropped as on the glass I can hit between £25-£50 per hour.
Doing it for the variation is understandable but would doubt you could hit the above hourly figure doing it, I charge £20 for odd jobs but only those I can complete within 30 minutes, I am still thinking about gardening as an add on, lawn mowing only but would have my trainee do it to boost his income

Graham

gregmyster

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 10:22:08 pm »
i have a full round but the majority off my cutomers ask me to do bits off jobs for them, i slowly generate a list of indoor work and then when the weather is to bad i consentrate on those jobs.as they are my regular customers people omly ask me to do jobs that they are not desperate to get done so i keep earning and they are happy to.