Les

Your Suggestions Please
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »
Hi all,

We clean for our local Health Centre which includes the maintenance of Carpets and Upholstery.

I bumped into one of the GP's the other day whilst he was making a home visit. He produced from the boot of his car two identical rugs that he'd purchased whilst on holiday in some far away place, (as you do ) and wondered if I could clean them.

Having got them back home and inspecting them, I'm not so sure that they're something I want to do.
I feel that if I so much as show them a sprayer they'll change shape on the spot.  :o

I've posted photo's of one small section front and back to see what you think.

Am I right to pass on this one ?

Les

derek west

Re: Your Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:06:32 pm »
my first concern would be colour run, have you tested for that yet?
i did a quote on a rug bought from the states, colour transfer to terry towel even from water, scary, turned it down straight away and gave her CD number. ;D
derek

Les

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:15:42 pm »
Hi Derek,

Colour transfer doesn't appear to be a problem but shrinkage and shape changing are more of a concern to me.

Les

derek west

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 04:19:53 pm »
no worries les, first thing i think about with foriegn rugs is colour run. looks like a tack down jobby on a stiff vented board. hope your getting free bupa for it ;D
derek

Les

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 04:25:59 pm »
It's the Free Castration  :'( if it goes wrong that worries me !

Les

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 04:28:42 pm »
You can tack them down but it depends on how strong the item is and in this case I would say don't.

I would however give them a damn good vac with the nozzle of your ooover and then us a ph neutral cleaner like one step fine line or others and apply it to a nappy then wipe rug to see the extent of soiling, personally I would buff but it depends if the rug will take the torque of a buffer if not hand clean with towels in same method and then turbo.

Shaun

Les

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 04:37:18 pm »
Hi Shaun,

I would've gone the Buffer route too but the rugs are very thin and have various stains on them which look pretty well set.

They also look very old and pretty worn out, if they were mine I would be chuckin them in a skip.

Les

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:42:48 pm »
I think a good vac may sort the men out from the boys and then you could either try MS wool safe or fibre shampoo whiped up in a bucket to a foam and apply the foam, I think I would do it that way.

Shaun

Jim_77

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 04:55:08 pm »
I think the most important thing is to ask the customer what his opinion is!

Is it most important to him to get them as clean looking as possible, or is it more of a concern that they don't run a bit of colour or end up a bit wavy?

They look quite rustic, maybe it wouldn't look out of place if they weren't perfect rectangles?  He might not mind.

Have you seen how they clean rugs traditionally in the countries they originate in??!  I'm sure I've read somewhere how the Turks rub their rugs with olive soap and then hang them out on the balcony in the wet season to wash off!

clinton

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 05:07:43 pm »
The buffer might chew them up les ???

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 05:34:07 pm »
Not only will it buckle due to it being a natural flat weave, the colour run will run for the hills. It will be coloured no doubt using natural plant dyes.

I would vac them to death with a hand attachment I would not use the beater bar brush of a upright. I would then use a terry towel slightly moistened in Supreme Dry Clean. I would finish with a quick mist of acid rinse.

Regards
Pete

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 05:42:54 pm »
Those tassels will also yellow or brown if you so much as mention water in the same room as them. Stay well away from the tassels even with dry cleaning solvent.

Regards
Pete 

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 06:51:12 pm »
Les
I would tell the customer what you think will happen to the rug and let him make the decition, as jim says.

I have cleaned loads of these, yes they can shrink but if it distorts it is probably a "trainee" rug.

I would first check for colour run, if no signs then as long as you keep the solution neutral or better still on the acid side.
Vac it really well, and then some more and what i would do is to lightly mist over with chemspec oneclean traffic clean or prochem bonnet, rub over with a terry towel, then rinse with either acid rinse or chemspec oneclean.
The rug will go really stiff when you do this but as it dries it will go soft again, anchor one edge down and as Shaun said put turbo over/under it this will then "shake" it and probably wont distort.

Regards

Daryl 

Les

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 09:10:09 pm »
Well, as always, great advice from you all which is what makes this site so valuable.

I sometimes mention to my customers,(as I did in this case) that I would be putting a posting on here to ask for advice, and I think customers appreciate that you can't know all the answers.

The GP I'm dealing with is very qualified but will still need to ask the opinion of other experts from time to time.

I'm going to speak with him following the advice given and see what he'd like to do.

Thanks again for the help.

Les

didy2000

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 01:10:24 am »
Dear les.don’t worry I cleaned this type of rugs more than three time’s u have only two ways first to use
Dry solvent machine and its straight forward step or
Give it a very good vacuum
Warm water with Dye Stabiliser or any product to minimise the possibility of dye run from
The rug with half spoon of Wool Safe detergent or dry cleaning solution with large sponge or terry tower go throw softly in one line from up to down then use u machine to vacuum only and believe me u will be surprise how easy to clean it and it’s the same method for oriental rugs too

Mark Lane-Matthews

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 10:05:06 am »
 A CFR tool or Hydramaster ,might be the way to go to prevent distortion as a alternative.

Mark