M.Acorn

Your thoughts on this
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:59:36 am »
Can`t decide if i am going transit or this,quite like the look of it,racking in the back,don`t know anything about these vans

2004 54 Reg VAUXHALL VIVARO 2900 DTI SWB 1870 cc 1.9 TURBO DIESEL 100 BHP A/C

Manual, Panel Van, Diesel, 56,000 miles, Blue, ABS, Air bags, Air Conditioning, Bulkhead (full), Central locking, Door - LHSD, Dual passenger seat, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, FSH, Immobiliser, Load Liner, Power steering, Roof rack. 3 Seats, SWB, GVW 2900kg, RHD, BEAT THE VAT INCREASE BUY NOW, DIRECT FROM BRITISH GAS, FULL SERVICE HISTORY, REAR RACKING AND ROOFRACK

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uvl/popup.jsp?currentaction=searchresults&e2w=93051&searched_channel=COMM&sort=5&did=93051&partner=TMG&postcode=cb214nn&max_records=200&configfile=http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/dealers/93051/93051_config.xml&dropdowntype=uvl&e2w=93051&miles=1500&csslocation=http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/dealers/93051/93051&id=201051375674570&distance=0
What goes around comes around

robert meldrum

Re: Your thoughts on this
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:10:46 am »
Mark

Take a look at the Items for Sale section scroll down to the James Holt advert and change your life !

andi wilson

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:24:20 am »
Mark, these are cracking vans... Quick , quiet, comfortable, car like and  good on fuel.. What I would say though, is that they are fragile..! I have had mine for 3 years and love it..

Transit is made from granite and will last forever, but I think they are quite agricultural and noisy. Going by your luck, it maybe better to go for the Transit....
;D

Best of luck with your choice

M.Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:39:38 am »
The only thing putting me off the transit,is the floor gear change,and not dash mounted change,i have heard that when they get a bit worn,selecting gears can be a bit hit and miss,think they changed to a TDCI with dash change in year 06,but can`t stretch to the extra ££ For that...

Take a look at the Items for Sale section scroll down to the James Holt advert and change your life

Won`t be able to do hp on that though will i

Paul Heath

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »
Looks a nice van....ex gas or something, which could go in its favour as it would have been serviced/repaired correctly. They have suffered from gearbox problems, but if they through in 12 months warrenty be well worth a punt.
I have had mine 3 years and it has not missed a beat or let me down and still get approx 30 to the gallon.
Best of luck with your choice.

Matt Seymour

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 05:14:18 pm »
I wouldn't touch a Transit with a 10ft bargepole. I don't know about the latest incarnation of the Transit, but past models have always been unbelievably prone to rust.

The new one might be a great van for all I know, but I've driven (and sold) plenty of them in the past and they rot very quickly.

M.Acorn

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 05:17:30 pm »
Yeah it`s got half the miles on it that the tranny has,for around the same money,have been looking on the forums,and some of them suffer from electrical problems,with sensors and ecu,i know this was also the case with my wife`s Corsa.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 06:51:40 pm »
I wouldn't touch a Transit with a 10ft bargepole. I

Horses for courses really.
I'm on my 3rd Transit and yes rust can be a problem after some years
but you have to cover all aspects and reliability is a major factor compared to other makes.

Matt Seymour

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 07:04:00 pm »
I agree. A new Transit is a great van, nice to drive and does the job. As you say, once they are a few years old the bodywork starts falling to bits.

I used to work for a company that sold commercial vehicles a few years back and compared to every other van with a bit of age to it, the Transits were always in the worst condition and struggled the most to get through the MOT.

craig melvin

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »
Just bought a vivaro 3 weeks ago for the wife. A great little van ! very nippy, good on fuel 30mpg around town and 40 + on the motorway. Theres loads around so they must be a good van!

it came with roofrack and towbar - real bonus ! plus electrics mirrors and windows oh and aircon.

well pleased!

good luck with your decision.

Craig

spencer davies

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »
Had one brand new a few years ago on a 53 plate, fine up until 55,000 then new gearbox, engine management system and a
host of other annoying expensive repairs, outed it in favour of VW and Merc, best decision for me, gearbox a well known prob with these
vans

S

M.Acorn

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 08:34:42 pm »
Yeah i forked out over £700 on a gear box for the caddy,will not be buying either without a warranty this time,been annoying as the place with the vans is shut until Tue.
There is a Vw main dealer down the road from me,but after the caddy van i have been put off a bit..

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 12:17:47 am »
This is an intresting thread as I am currently looking for a new van too! Fancy a transit and found a few near me on autotrader, I better get the finger out before I start getting busy again lol

Tony

Mark_Jubb

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 02:04:20 am »
I've had a VW Transporter for just over 7 years, now got 120,000 on the clock, been serviced every 10,000 miles and apart from usual wear items such as Tyres, Exhaust, Discs & Pads, the only other things to have been replaced are 2 Rear Road Springs and a single injector nozzle. I'm currently on the lookout for another, but want one with 2 side loading doors (very rare 2nd hand by the look of things)
If there isn't enough time to do the job right,  how do we find the time to go back and do it again when the customer is not happy ?   Do it right the 1st Time.
NCCA Member 1399.  Swindon, Wiltshire

M.Acorn

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:07:15 am »
I better get the finger out before I start getting busy again lol

Yeah i have a job booked in the morning,which i am going to have to postpone,only a lounge,but i am grateful of everything at the moment...

Matt Lindus

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 12:02:38 pm »
Hi Mark,

I would avoid Transits for one reason only, the body work rusts and rots very quickly. Even 1yr old transits can show signs of rust.
If you can put up with poor body work, a transit is a great reliable work tool.

The Vauxhall you have shown would be my choice.

M.Acorn

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 12:23:25 pm »
Yeah I am steering towards the Vauxhall at the moment,mainly for the fact that is has done half the miles the tranny has done,i have to look at this as an investment over 5 years,but then saying that i have spent nigh on 3 grand since last November on the caddy,inc the cost of purchase,will come out of my next tax bill,might even get my accountant to put something together for my current bill,to reduce it,will see how it goes,i am getting painfully close to the limit though,and it`s going to be a balancing act

derek west

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 01:17:08 pm »
what you need mark is an 08 reg renault trafic sport in silver, LWB with only 26k on the clock.
this one looks good, make an offer ;D

M.Acorn

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 01:24:44 pm »
Nice,but out of my league

clinton

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 01:50:29 pm »
How about a citreon dispatch like i have got mark? Great van and also depends how you look after the vehicle and service it too,all m,akes have so called problems without regular servicing.