derikraven

your thoughts please
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:11:55 pm »
on wednesday morning I cleaned a lounge carpet, pretty routine stuff although the carpet was very dirty. I managed to get it clean and removed all marks and stains. The carpet was left clean and as dry as I could get it ie slightly damp.
                                                         This morning the customer phoned me to say the carpet had rippled in a couple of places ( in front of a chair and by the doorway ). I advised that this sometimes happens and that it would probably tighten up when completely dry. I'm not convinced that she was happy with my answer and I get the feeling that she may be trouble.
                                         As I know I have done nothing wrong and all carpet cleaning processes were carried out correctly I wonder if any of you lads have any thoughts on how I should handle the customer if she phones back with the same complaint.
         This has never happenwd to me before ( except a kitchen carpet ) so I don't know how to handle this. Any advice is much appreciated.

james roffey

Re: your thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:29:51 pm »
The first time this happened to me it scared me a lot, even though i was aware that it would go back, i came straight back home went on the forum and everyone said dont panic, i had explained to the customer that this was a possibilty so when it did ripple slightly she was not overly concerned in fact i think it showed to her that i knew what i was doing as i had predicted it (thanks to the forum) but i still worried i would get that dreaded call back, it never came.
I remember one guy on here at the time said look out for sculptured carpets they are prone to it and recently had one so again explained to customer during the survey that it may ripple also explaining why and again it did, but no call back.
I think you should have been a little bit more assertive and confident in you response to her and said "it will" go back and not "probably" when it dries completely, if you sounded unsure she will have lost some confidence in you.

Phillip Mold

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:42:46 pm »
The same happened to me recently.

I advised her that it can sometimes happen but should settle back after a few days. She never rang again.
I do have a friendly carpet fitter though! 
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »
Sometimes for customer service you can buff the carpet and it spreads it out and the customer feels special again.

Shaun

Colin Day

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:20:10 pm »
Tell her you'll be there to sort it out in a week... They usually ring you to say there's no need after a couple of days :)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45:08 pm »
This happens from time-to-time and usually always goes back, just keep in touch with the customer.

Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:09 pm »
This was on a perfectly normal tufted carpet. Strange thing it rippled on the landing but not in the hall ???
Simon

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 09:08:41 pm »
Simon, as you look at first pic, down the right hand edge, it dont seem to be fixed with a single edged fitting, usually they can be turned and tacked, but cant see tacks either.
Possibly the carpet hasnt been stretched evenly.

Or maybe you didnt have the vac turned on  ;)

Andrew

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:33:35 pm »
I agree that it will return to normal but what I would do if you have not heard from her within 3 days is give a courtesy call back, it's not something everyone would do. There is two reasons, 1) it shows you care and just want to confirm that it has returned to normal 2) she will come back to you in the future because you did call and were confident enough to do so. This will take some courage but once you have done it you will feel much better, and if there is a problem it wont fester and you can deal with it asap. Building a strong business is all about how your customer percieve you and your service, I call customers back a couple of days later to ensure they are happy.

peter maybury

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:53:24 pm »
This is something that normally happens before you leave the premises and it is important that if you have not forewarned the customer that you point it out before they notice it. If you confidently point it out as an everyday day eventuality the customer will have a lot less concerns.
It can happen to a lot of different  types of carpet including felt back as well.
Peter

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 10:30:52 pm »
If it has rippled all over as in Simon's photo, it should go back BUT if it has rippled in a concentrated area "in front of chair and in doorway", it could be that the carpet has delaminated in the heavy wear area's.

derikraven

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 06:07:09 am »
Thank you all for your advice. I will be keeping in touch with the customer because I don't like unhappy clients. Thankd again  :)