Raymondo

Your thoughts on this
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:05:36 pm »
How legally binding is the statement "if your not complely satisfied its free".

We cleaning a sofa (18 months old)that the customer says it dried patchy wished we had not touched it now.

They said they wanted a new sofa or they would go to court.

Let the insurace company sort it paid the £250 excess they claimed for the sofa the protector that was appplied by the store they bought it from plus the cleaning.

They thought they would get a brand new sofa and the cost of the clean and the protector out of it .

But the insuance company will only pay part of the cost of the sofa they dont do new for old.

The customer now want us to give back his money or he will take us to a small claims court.

Where do we stand it?

Ray 

Raymondo

Re: Your thoughts on this
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:32:51 pm »
We when out to look at it and sprayed the fabric and brushed the fabric.

We thought it looked fine infact the one in the showroom had the same patchiness and that was new.

They started to get threatening ringing late at night what are you doing about our sofa.

So decided to let the ins company sort it out.

After what they have been like I dont really want to give them more money if we can.

Ray

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:34:54 pm »
give him back his money, you told them  "if your not completely satisfied its free" ............ i don't think they are satisfied, do you?

how much are we talking about £90-£100?  is it really worth the hassle
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Colin Day

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 08:41:45 pm »
Personally, I'd just give them the cost back and walk, not worth the sleepless nights really!

Raymondo

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:44:33 pm »
They tried to claim the cleaning cost but the insurance company said no.

I will give them the cleaning cost back. 

Colin Day

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:48:33 pm »
Draw a line under it mate and move on..... Most of us have had or will have times like that!!!

You'll feel a huge relief once you've given them their money back and at least if they do bad mouth you, they can't say you didn't keep your word...

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:53:06 pm »
I once ripped a suite and my insurance broker advised me by law I had to give the money back, it was 15 or so years ago but laws like that don't change.

Shaun

will01

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 11:43:10 pm »
We when out to look at it and sprayed the fabric and brushed the fabric.

We thought it looked fine infact the one in the showroom had the same patchiness and that was new.

They started to get threatening ringing late at night what are you doing about our sofa.

So decided to let the ins company sort it out.

After what they have been like I dont really want to give them more money if we can.

Ray

If they called me late at night using threatening language then I can guarantee that they would only do this once.

robert meldrum

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:49:30 pm »
I agree wholeheartedly with the last comment..................However.sometimes people see the v result from HWE and think its a colour difference after cleaning. Some fabrics require to be towelled or brushed after cleaning as the fabric pile sets when dry.

ianharper

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 07:54:48 am »
Ray

With all sofa cleaning you must manage expectations. Do you know about wear age?

You can have a carpet or sofa that 10 years old with just two years or wear or the other way around.

Dirty sofas cover wear much more than carpets so by removing the dirt you reveal the wear under that dirt. many customers will be shocked my this and blame you. by explaining wear age before you clean it pre warns them to the possibilities of this shock.

You will know when to push this as if the house is messy and it looks like they don't look after stuff you might also want to get a disclaimer signed if the sofa is like this one newish and you know that they will be shocked with the amount of wear in the short time.

also when you make your guarantee in your adverts you must explain that they must give you the chance to go back and reclean and then if they are not happy refund. if they don't want you back in get someone else to clean it the second time. this can calm people down as you will be acting professional and they will respect that.

lastly, know when to walk away before cleaning something no matter how much you need the money.

Good luck

Respect

Ian Harper

M.Acorn

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:07:19 am »
lastly, know when to walk away before cleaning something no matter how much you need the money.

Learnt that lesson !
What goes around comes around

Colin Day

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 08:28:50 am »

Learnt that lesson !

A very sound piece of advice!

Raymondo

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 08:51:07 am »
Good advice.

Looking back we should have walking or ran away as the first thing they said to us was "Hello are you fully insured".

This was on the doorstep not in the house.

Ray

clinton

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 08:55:12 am »
It just takes time ray to pick up on these vibes and after a few years you get to know when as you  to run ;D

M.Acorn

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 08:55:30 am »
Looking back we should have walking or ran away as the first thing they said to us was "Hello are you fully insured".

Had that too  >:(
What goes around comes around

richy27

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 09:02:23 am »
Hope you get it sorted ray.

my personal opinion is money back statements leave you wide open for attack. lets face 99% of cust re a pleasure to deal with but its th 1 % thats sticks in your throat.

I am afraid if you have passed onto insurers you have admitted liabiliy ad will have to go through the motions .

remember that in the small claims court each party pays there own costs if the claim is less than 5000 worth speaking to your insrers if your not too far down the line. honour your  "statement" and give the money back and let tem take you to court to replace suite if you believe its not your fault. if its not genuine and they have to put there hand in there own pocket they may go away. its all a game of poker

fenman

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 04:09:45 pm »
My personal opinion on these marketing slogans as that they may look good on your leaflets and website but they leave you wide open to clever dicks.

" If your not completely satisfied its free "

This is impossible to rebuff if the customer says they are not completely satisfied and refuse to pay.
Does completely mean 100% or 95% or 90%.

" The most thorough cleaning ever seen or its free "

Again, how can you rebuff this if the customer says that the previous cleaner they used was more thorough than you and they are not going to pay.
You could not prove otherwise so bye bye payment.

Luckily for us the massive majority of our customers are honest.