capricorn

employed or self employed
« on: January 31, 2006, 01:21:41 pm »
is there any one who can help. I started a cleaning company several months ago, and need advice from anyone who can tell me what i need to provide for tax purposes to insure that i am not responsible for my cleaners tax and n.i. contributions, as i would like the cleaners to be self employed. any help in this matter would be really great.
Michelle

Spiceman

Re: employed or self employed
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 01:40:09 pm »
Hi Micelle,
If your cleaners are used on a casuel basis, then a declaration signed by them declaring that they are aware that they are responsible for their own tax and ni should be sufficient.
I have looked into this myself and find that the rules are open to interpretation by each tax office. So I set the standard for myself as .... if i am employing someone on a regular repetative basis then i treat them as an employee (make sure you get a p46 signed) if it is just occasional weekend work etc then i believe the signed declaration is good enougth.
Hope this helps.
John

capricorn

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 03:28:26 pm »
yes thanks i thought that also if i offered weekly work, this would be seen as casual labour,
  the p46 is that they work for you solely, my cleaners have other jobs so probably not an option.
getting lots of good feedback and its all helpful its great not to feel totally isolated.
appreciate your advice.

michelle
Michelle

Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 07:47:56 pm »
This subject is already on the forum.  Best advice about being employed or self employed go to www.dti.gov.uk and read booklet IR56.  It will give you all the info you require.