mystery

Re: Website or not??
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 09:53:37 pm »
Oh!! Well that throws a spanner in the works!!

Thank you Tom & Nathanael very pleased I posted & asked what you thought about amethyst now!  :( Well, having spoke to her today, I have all but agreed, I guess I will have to pull out!!

Is it a case of them not being so good at SEO or rather design work do you think?? Not sure where else to try to find someone else, I've searched google, but would prefer someone local, might give yell.com or thompson a try.

I'll have a look for some more over Xmas & let you know who I can find. I think I'll be asking your advice now before I commit to someone, I actually thought they seemed quite good.  :(

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 10:23:37 pm »
The designs aren't too bad,.. its the SEO that's lacking.
There's no point having a fantastic looking website if no one ever sees it!

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2009, 12:25:03 pm »
As Nathaneal said,

Design is only part of the works, SEO another, ease of use is another and so on.

On the same token, for £200 (ok it sounds like a small bit, but its still large) is a lot to pay considering the examples shown.
I am by no means branding the person with anything. But seeing how many designers are out there looking for projects it is easily possible to get the same amount of cash spent for more (if this makes sense).

If in your shoes I personally would look around, ask more questions and get more quotes in.

There is a place close to me who had a site done. Spent £300 on.... well ive been left guessing as to what, yet on the same token I would have put one together for the same cost that works better. Dont go with the first offer that comes along, and certainly dont be talked into thinking that only they can offer you this fantastic price.

Like normal gift shopping, shop around get the best deal possible and more importantly go with the one you feel more comfortable with.

Regards,

Tom.

mystery

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2009, 10:29:20 pm »
Thanks again guys.

It's not strictly a case of only wanting to spend £200 on a website, I could spend more, it's just a case of I've done reasonably well thus far without one, my competitors have very little web presence, so they clearly don't need it & so I'm wondering how much return I will get on my investment, clearly if I was to get a big return then it would be worth my while. So my ethos is spend a little now, maybe 200- 300 hundred or so, then if I do get a lot from it, I can happily spend more on improving it later.

Obviously finding someone I'm happy with is key, although what has really concerned me is that I felt very happy with the company I had found, to me they seemed to know what they were talking about, that was a reason I wanted to go with them.

So I have found lots of web designers (to my surprise) in my area on Yell.com, so I will call round them next week. Any advice on what I need to look for or ask? The key thing is I don't really understand why the other designer I found was not so great at SEO etc as you all said, how will I know who is good??? Hope that makes some sense, just worried about making a huge & costly mistake & going out & getting the wrong person!!  ::)

Jules

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2009, 10:47:04 pm »
Hi Jules,

Saying Good from Bad is the wrong choice of words perhaps. But spotting the one that would work well for you, especially when not in the knowledge of what to look for is often hard. One thing to ask for is live examples of work.

I think I am often too hard on people, but then I am often a person that strives to get the very best from what im prepared to give, and I would expect no one else to be any different. In the end of the day we end up giving our hard earned money for it, so want to see it work.

But again, it doesnt just have to be designers close to you. I live in Notts and have done work for people in London, Scotland etc. Its about communication and delivery, but I can understand the need to want to meet the person you may be hiring...

Regards,

Tom.

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2009, 10:48:12 pm »
Just Noticed Jules,

You live in Lincoln, we could meet up one time if you fancied :)

mystery

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2009, 10:54:48 pm »
 :) Tom, it's not so much about getting someone local, so I can meet them, it's more a case of not falling for any internet scams. To be honest most of the designers I have found through Google have wanted you to pay upfront without speaking to people, no listed office address on there website etc, just being cautious. At least if I find someone through Yell.com tehy have an address & phone number etc.

I know you were not as direct to say anyone was "good" or "bad", It was the simplist way to put it, when your not of a techie mind  ;)

Are you from Lincoln also Tom?

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2009, 11:04:39 pm »
Just down the road in Retford actually Jules.

I know what you mean. But think, yellow pages does NOT mean trustworthy or reliable. Yell.com allows free listings and addresses arent checked.

You run the same risk really either way, but the norm im used to with most people I meet is 50% down and the rest on satisfactory completion of the site. Unless off course its a huge project in which case its normally a small % .

But yer Retford and Lincoln are only what 20 minutes from each other at best.

mystery

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2009, 11:13:53 pm »
No not far at all, yeah great we should meet for a coffee sometime. Drop me an email.....chateauclean@gmx.com

I just checked out your website actually. Do you find CRB checking helps? I've thought about it, but we are pretty small at the minute, so it's not been a pressing issue. But planning on growing so it could be an idea.

I know what you are saying about yell.com & addresses are not checked, but at least if they are in my vacinity, I can check for myself if I want to. As I said, not much look finding anyone reasonable through google, so yell.com it is I think.

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2009, 11:20:40 pm »
Check your inbox :)