Robert Parry

Re: help needed on clay paving as custy is threatening to go to lawyer
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 02:07:44 pm »
Probably going to get no end of grief for this, but here goes!

When a prospective client contacts you to quote for some work, they contact you because they want the job done professionally.  The prospect, rightly, or wrongly assumes that you do indeed have the knowledge and expertise to carry out the work.

Upon visiting the client’s premises, you carry out your survey based on the needs of the client; sometimes the client has no real idea of how to maintain the surface, that’s exactly why they contacted you.

When this particular client told you that she wanted it cleaned and re-sanded, you as the professional should have pointed out the fact that this particular surface may need to be sealed, and of course advise the client of the potential problems that may arise if this sealing is not carried out.

As well as the problems inclement weather may cause after you have carried out the work.

All of this information and your recommendations should have been contained in your written quotation, signed and dated by yourself and you prospective client, one copy for you, the other for you customer.

This way, you have covered all the angles.

This particular client, may be trying it on, as he has stated that the area was sealed last time, however, in my opinion, by not following the advice given above, you have left wide open to this sort of complaint. Then again the client may have assumed that you know what you are doing, and is genuine in his belief that he paid you to do a job, and he doesn’t see why he should be held responsible for what he perceives to be your shortcomings on this particular job.

There is no real point in worrying yourself over this, just try to learn from it and be better prepared next time, get your paperwork in order, follow correct procedures, and hopefully all will be well.

Regards,

Rob
A world of difference....

paul macca

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 02:48:32 pm »
Because of one bad experience your going to start dishing out disclaimers.
If a tradesman came to do a job for me waving disclaimers about before he started i would lose all confidence in him and tell him to clear off.
Customers are king and your best bet is to do what is needed to rectify this situation and move on.

Paul

drive surgeon

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 08:27:49 pm »
rob i would not advised them to seal clay pavers as clay is not an easy surface to seal. i did what i thought was best and did a great job and never have had a complaint before in over 6 years of cleaning and re sanding.

GWCS

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 08:54:54 pm »
DS, you should make sure you get all your documentation ready for "next time".

Tell them it wont be sealed, unless they want it to be sealed, and explains the pros and cons and give them a copy of this.

Give them a info sheet of possible problems they may arise after works such as the sand coming free.

On the quote include or exclude the sealing option, that way you can say you gave them the info and you gave your professional opinion, and they have the final decision and they sign to what they want, ad to the fact they have read the information you have provided them.

No waivers/disclaimers, just a contract of the requested works.

Give all the info you can.. When it comes to quoting if you tell them everything, and the next guys that comes along tells them nothing, your more likely to get the job even if you are more, because they can trust you more, and understand what exactly you are going to do for them.

drivewasher

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 09:49:22 pm »
Look it's simple. The quote was accepted for a clean and resand.. end of.
Youv'e done what you said you would.
As for all the faffing about, should have written...should have adviced.. professional person. what a load of tripe.

If I ask a tradesperson to quote me for whatever, I don't want em banging on about extra this special that all singing and dancing... Unless of course the client asked what would be best to keep sand in the joints, but I believe client asked for a clean and reseal. How anyone can win a court case for doing what you quoted for beats me.

Sorry if its a bit harsh but I believe in saying things as they are, and honest down to earth dealings with no double glazing sales voodoo. Don't know what the bloody words coming to!
I'm always in the poo, it's just the depth that varies

GWCS

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 10:24:33 pm »
Look it's simple. The quote was accepted for a clean and resand.. end of.
Youv'e done what you said you would.
As for all the faffing about, should have written...should have adviced.. professional person. what a load of tripe.

If I ask a tradesperson to quote me for whatever, I don't want em banging on about extra this special that all singing and dancing... Unless of course the client asked what would be best to keep sand in the joints, but I believe client asked for a clean and reseal. How anyone can win a court case for doing what you quoted for beats me.

Sorry if its a bit harsh but I believe in saying things as they are, and honest down to earth dealings with no double glazing sales voodoo. Don't know what the bloody words coming to!

now that is a load of tripe.

you hire a professional as they are "supposed to know" what to do. Otherwise the customer can just do it themselves. Ive been to many homes who have had their drives cleaned and re sanded, and then ive said shouldn't you of had this sealed to prevent all this sand causing a slipping hazard?

"I dunno", came every reply. Because they do not know what is the protocol.

Im no drive cleaner, but if i got a cleaner in to do the drive i'd expect it to be sealed too, if it was sealed before and also that sand is a major slipping hazard!

If you do not advise them then it is left open to interpretation, which is simply what DS has now. No customer is going to know what or how it was sealed with previously, and if you think should then your living on cloud cookoo land.

Any professional in any trade, will actually give advise and the best way of doing it. Only cowboys do the job, and run with the cash with no advise and then say p off at the complaints stage.

Robert Parry was absolutely correct with what he advised.

drivewasher

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 12:27:54 am »
The op reads, when first laid the sand went away after only 2 weeks. So how could it have been sealed then or there would be no sand. The guy tells Ds the next conversation it was sealed. I think the guys trying it on. This sealing is like selling double glazing. most of the block paving in UK is not sealed, but the sealing profession wants all those who aint got it sealed to think it is.

And by the way, cleaning and resanding can be done DIY whats wrong with that. If custy wants to spend 10hours getting soaked through 2 days acing all over doing something I can do in a couple of hours.
I only clean and resand, if custy asks me about sealing I pass the job on to one of 2 sealing contractors that I clean only for, let them do the job, I clean job for them they pay me. Otherwise I ust qote for what I'm asked to

stalwart

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 10:26:12 am »
I tottally agree with Steve on this one,you got an email my friend?
<<<<<<<,chris.eventide@googlemail.com
Been there,seen it,done it,just cant remember when

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 01:49:16 pm »
ds,

have you a photo of what as gone wrong.
mark

drivewasher

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 04:36:54 pm »
Is that this steve ie me?

stalwart

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 04:51:06 pm »
indeed it is Mr drivewasher

drivewasher

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 08:25:49 pm »
It's In me profile

drive surgeon

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 08:46:36 pm »
heres the drive after i went round with the vac the other day to suck up any excess sand.

drive surgeon

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 08:50:09 pm »
there is a few pieces of grass showing as this was cleaned 6 weeks ago.

gutterman

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 09:42:48 pm »
is the issue not the weeds returning hence the customers desire for sealing

i would say that this is the real bug bear

regards

Gutterman

drive surgeon

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 09:54:04 pm »
no as they have got their gardner to buy and apply a weedkiller, i sucked up a bit of excess sand up from the edges and of face of blocks but it was not as bad as they said. they said they spent ages brushing sand off blocks.  their gardner said they are jewish and they were just trying to get me to seal it for free,  i told them i wont be!!!

stalwart

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2009, 09:57:12 pm »
What is that smell  :(
This is getting beyond the joke ::)

karygate

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 07:34:12 am »
the grass has grown back after only six weeks.  ???
gary

drive surgeon

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 11:44:45 am »
well i jet wash it so everything is out the joints then when dry i brush b&q kiln dried sand in.?  what else do i need to do??? :-X

Griffus

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 01:07:23 pm »
I'd definitely include (or at least offer at the quotation stage) a residual weedkiller.

Search on here for Sodium Chlorate. It's been discussed loads of times.