ColinD

Re: Polish on Altro
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2006, 12:40:46 am »
All I can say is this was hell of a slippery subject to get onto!

From here on in it's good old vinyl flooring that I recommend for kitchens, and hazardouse areas.  I don't think so!

May as well rip up the covering behind the bar of the Parsimonious Periwinkle and go back to good old fashion floor boards. At least it will start to smell like a pub, again.
Nils illegitimi carborundum

Robert Parry

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2006, 11:44:08 am »
Two things chaps,

Original post stated that polish was put on altro flooring in shower/toilet areas, I still maintain that this is incorrect. I certainly would refuse to do this in the future and would reccomend to the client, that the polish is removed from these high risk area's.

Whilst a seal or indeed polish can be put on altro, after the client has carried out a risk assessment etc, I would still be concerned who would carry the liability if a slip occured in non-critical area's, as it were, I have a sneaky feeling that it would be the contractor, I may be wrong of course.

Good thread, lots of differing opinions, but in my opinion if altro has been specified, it is there for a reason, and I would not put polish on it just so the client can save on the maintenance costs of the flooring.

It is down to the client and the cleaning contractor to sit down together and work out a cost effective maintenance programme that keeps the flooring as clean as the budget will allow, whilst maintaining the anti-slip properties of the flooring.

Regards,

Rob

PS

Regardless of the maufacturer stating that you can put polish on their flooring, if an accident did occur, it wont be their insurance company paying out on any claim, thats for sure!
A world of difference....

DP

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2006, 12:36:59 am »
Regardless of the manufacturer stating that you can put polish on their flooring, if an accident did occur, it wont be their insurance company paying out on any claim, thats for sure!

There is a hundred parameters to a claim any of which will effect who pays out if at all. This "make it up and proclaim it as fact" stuff, is simply nonsense, as with some of the previous comments on here by people who thought they knew.

"Training" good idea, but for who! At least newcomers accept they need to learn, its all the apparent experts that worry me, especially when their arrogant about their own ignorance, that’s frightening!

Opinions great, but "facts" shouldn’t there be at least some shred of accuracy.  ;)

Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 04:17:34 pm »
so this whole strand is just a waste of space really cos it was all said in the first few entries.

you can do it, but it reduces slip resistance and its pointless cos you can`t buff it to a shine so dont do it unless the custy insists and pays you lots of money ;D

so thats the end of that. (had to have the last word)

DP

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 10:56:29 pm »
Brilliant, who needs to know any more!

My Gran (gaud bless her sole) said bleach and a bit of carbolic soap works much better on floors anyhow and she really knew her stuff. Dont need safety floors, just get them to wear propa shoes she rekons.  ;)
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2006, 10:07:30 pm »
do you mind  >:(

i`ve already had the last word on this subject ;D