Ali_D

Logo Design
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:17:03 pm »
Hi

Now looking into designing my logo   ???

A local firm wants £100 and found a site on the web that does it for 99$, but that's quite basic.

I'm on a tight budget, so does anyone know of anyone cheaper or a cheaper way of doing it?

Thanks
Ali

Grafters Cleaning Services

Re: Logo Design
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:25:45 pm »
what sort of logo are you after ali
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Ali_D

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 06:36:03 pm »
Hmmmm, now that's the big question???

I've got about 6 different ones.  One includes a photo, but i think printing it on letterheads, business cards etc is going to be quite expensive.  The others are more or less based around a maid with a duster, maybe a black silouhette with a background colour that I can use as a theme for uniforms, etc - imagination couldn't stretch any further than that I'm afraid!

Any ideas?

niceandclean

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:32:10 pm »
My misses is in the trade, she is a freelance graphic designer!! She maybe able to help. Depends on what you want? The way to go at the moment is a nice contemporary font, with no pictures!

mxg

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:38:03 pm »
Your local printer should be able to do some basic graphic design included in the price for your printing if you are on a restricted budget. Ask them to come up with a couple of options. I would agree with the comments about stick people & pictures - they look a bit dated now.

Mick

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:34:27 pm »
How do you call your business?
Regards,
Arthur

Ali_D

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 09:54:18 pm »
Top of the list is Ali's Angels - Home and Office Cleaning Services (this one's the favourite because of my positioning in Yellow Pages, i.e. first hopefully ;)).

Don't know if its a bit naff! but the other ones are naffer (if there is such a word)!! :-[

I'd welcome any suggestions.

Ali

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 09:56:22 pm »
"Ali's Angels - Home and Office Cleaning Services" - tooooo long I am afraid

Ali_D

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 10:03:05 pm »
I thought that too but I'm a bit scared by commercial/industrial cleaning so that's why I put the home and office bit in.  Ali's Angels doesn't tell people what the company does.  What do you think about Ali's Angels with Cleaning Services underneath?

Thanks for the help by the way :)

Ali

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 10:08:52 pm »
Keep it short and easy to remember, if you are  sole trader you've got to have your name in the business name.  How about "Ali's Cleaning Agency"
Regards,
Arthur

-------
Added later:

or "Ali's Cleaning Angels", but I do not think angels would bother to clean ;D, just kidding  ;)

lisa123

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 10:12:56 pm »
keep it simple, mines boring, but memerable i hope.
Lisa's Cleaning Services, and underneath i have domestic and office cleaners.
As long as people know what you do by your name they will remember you. My cvlients call us the lisa's. Mind you me and my biz partner (both lisa's) have always been called that, by parents, teachers and everone else in the world that knows us.
We have been friends since we were about 5.

shelton

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 10:17:28 pm »
Don't know why, but I have an image of the 2 Julie's from Bad Girls in my head now . .. .

:o  ;D

lisa123

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 10:25:00 pm »
 ;D
sorry to freak you out.

Theres loads of Lisa's in Shrewsbury, it must be a mid 70's to mid 80's thing.
There was 5 of us in one class called lisa at one point. So confusing.

Our customers like the novelty though

Art

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 10:40:30 pm »
Keep it short and easy to remember, if you are  sole trader you've got to have your name in the business name.  How about "Ali's Cleaning Agency"
Regards,
Arthur

-------
Added later:

or "Ali's Cleaning Angels", but I do not think angels would bother to clean ;D, just kidding  ;)

Why as a sole trader, must you have your name in the business title????

Ali_D

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 10:41:33 pm »
Having second thoughts about going for the 'cheesy' angels bit, but then again, it may catch people's eye, but I want to portray professional not cheesy..... Ooooh I don't know. Decisions decisions. I've got so much swirling round in my brain at the mo, its becoming a blur.  Perhaps a glass of wine will help ;D

Ali

P.S. no offence to anyone with angels in their co name.

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 10:47:56 pm »
Regards,
Arthur

-------
Added later:

Why as a sole trader, must you have your name in the business title????

Have been told so in the past, sorry wrong info.  I have just checked with Business Link website and found out that I was missinformed, Thx Arthur (SNA Cleaning Services) for pointing this out.
Regards,
Arthur

Art

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 10:55:56 pm »
Having second thoughts about going for the 'cheesy' angels bit, but then again, it may catch people's eye, but I want to portray professional not cheesy..... Ooooh I don't know. Decisions decisions. I've got so much swirling round in my brain at the mo, its becoming a blur.  Perhaps a glass of wine will help ;D

Ali

P.S. no offence to anyone with angels in their co name.

Ali,

Ali's angels sounds fine, it's easy to remember.

Work comes from marketing, recommendations ,a good sales pitch and providing a quality service.IMO

Arthur

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 11:46:40 pm »
Ali, as I designed my logo myself I have just gone through my drafts and here what I could offer:

If you wish to change fronts, colours or insert other business name let me know and do it free of charge.
Regards,
Arthur

garyj

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 12:01:51 am »
keep it simple, mines boring, but memerable i hope.
Lisa's Cleaning Services, and underneath i have domestic and office cleaners.
As long as people know what you do by your name they will remember you. My cvlients call us the lisa's.

Its a brilliant idea that could catch on, it worked for Barker & Corbett.
How about SNA & AJ getting together for the 2 Arthurs. Your clients would remember you as well.
How about a poll? Is it a good idea or not.

Art

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 12:22:07 am »
Ali, as I designed my logo myself I have just gone through my drafts and here what I could offer:

If you wish to change fronts, colours or insert other business name let me know and do it free of charge.
Regards,
Arthur

Wouldn't there be a copyright issue here?

garyj

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 12:26:24 am »
Yes there would, he's used my house for a start, thats my chimney I'd recognise it anywhere.

There is a phrase which I keep thinking of, "you get what you pay for".
In this case its never been more true.

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 08:16:01 am »

Regards,
Arthur

Wouldn't there be a copyright issue here?

Arthur, what do you mean?

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 09:32:28 am »
daviesalie

try e-mailing russell at, rus@eleventybillion.co.uk.. he does my web design and logo and its very reasonable

martino

Ali_D

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 03:56:36 pm »
Arthur, what programme did you use to design your logo?  I like the idea of yours, but think I'll try and go with the angel theme, maybe a halo or something.

Thanks
Ali

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 04:04:02 pm »
I started my work with MO Word, now I use Adobe Illustrator CS2
I would not advice to use angels it may put some peaple off...
Regards,
Arthur

Ali_D

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 04:09:26 pm »
Why do you think it would put people off?

Ali

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 04:14:15 pm »
What angels have to do with cleaning?

Ali_D

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 04:27:52 pm »
When someone does a good job or does something well or when a child's well behaved we call them an angel/little angel.

We have got a few weird sayings down here so perhaps its a Welsh thing.  Anyone else use this saying or am i just being weird again? ::)

supernova77

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2006, 04:31:01 pm »
I'm thinking about having a new logo designed soon.

I'm going to use http://www.logosolution.co.uk if I do decide to go for it.

Andy

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2006, 04:41:16 pm »
Keep it short and easy to remember...
..."Ali's Cleaning Angels", but I do not think angels would bother to clean ;D, just kidding  ;)

I have never been serious about using angel in the business name.  That is only my opinion I do see it offensive but I personally do not like it (as well as use of word God on this forum) and I personally would not choose service from a business with such name.

Nothing personal, Ali, just my opinion.

Regards,
Arthur

Art

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2006, 04:50:30 pm »

OCS & MITIE don't say anything about cleaning and there 2 of the biggest in the industry.

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2006, 04:55:13 pm »

OCS & MITIE don't say anything about cleaning and there 2 of the biggest in the industry.

OCS & MITIE don't say about anything

Ali_D

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2006, 04:59:11 pm »
No problem at all Arthur, I appreciate what you're saying.  I'd never thought about it like that.  I think its so widely used as a 'term' now that a lot of people don't give it a second thought.  However, it is mostly used as a term of endearment and appreciation.  I suppose that's my justification for using it.  I don't mean to offend anyone, its just meant to be light hearted.

Ali

Art

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2006, 05:14:49 pm »

Your missing my point, as you say they say nothing about anything.

They still ended up major companies or am i wrong    ???

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2006, 06:59:41 pm »

Your missing my point, as you say they say nothing about anything.

They still ended up major companies or am i wrong    ???

I am not missing anything ::)

My points are:
1 OCS & MITIE say nothing about anything
2 OCS & MITIE can be associated with anything
3 Angels have some meaning, which has nothing to do with cleaning
and
4 I personally do not associate Angels with cleaning
to say more
5 I do not like to see Angels associated with cleaning

That  ::) is my personal few on this matter.

Regards,
Arthur

BSF

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2006, 07:08:52 pm »
A certain cleaning company not far from me has Angels in their name, they have a very respectable turnover approx 300k pa, thats from mainly domestic cleaning ::)

regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

the red carpet

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2006, 07:25:22 pm »
I like Ali's angels
you will get good listings in y/p ect.
its got a nice ring to it
people wont forget your name
it stands out and is much more memorable than most

if i was using this name and wanted a logo, i would have a outline of a figure with a halo round there head using a vacuum cleaner

*Chris Browne

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2006, 07:34:28 pm »
I think what Arthur is really getting at is the religious slant on the word"Angel" and i think we must respect his opinion if that is the case.

chris

www.scsf.co.uk

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2006, 07:48:13 pm »
Thank you Chris, but as I said  ::), it just my view...

MrsMeredith

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2006, 08:39:42 pm »
Ali, its not just a Welsh thing with the "angel" saying, we often use this terminology in the Midlands too ! either say: your an absolute angel, or another slant on this would be: your a saint, or a star !!

Arthur is indeed entitled to his personal opinion on the name including "Angel", and we should respect it but at the end of the day i really do not think a potential cleaning client will browse the Yellow pages or local classifieds newspaper and become miffed or disgusted with the use of this terminolgy in the business name/logo and therefore not even give them a chance,,,,,,,,,,but thats just my view on it. I think something catchy works just aswell as something simple.

Tracey.

Ali_D

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2006, 09:27:49 pm »
Thanks everyone
  ;)

Ali_D

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2006, 09:32:30 pm »

Work comes from marketing, recommendations ,a good sales pitch and providing a quality service.IMO

Arthur

Ali_D

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2006, 09:37:13 pm »
(See above)
Oops, thats the first time I've quoted, meant to say...

sales pitch is another one to add to my list.  I hate that kind of thing.  If someone says no to me, I'm gonna find it really hard to carry on and persuade them otherwise.  Does anyone else have this problem and how do you get around it?

Whenever someone tries the hard sell with me, I put the shutters up and don't wanna know.  I suppose I'll have to find a happy medium.

Any advice?

Ali (again)
(I'll stop pestering you all soon - promise)

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2006, 02:38:19 pm »
You could always to a google image search for angels....

On the main google page click the tab "images"

My friendly local printer uses them all the time, he says that as they are all "public domain" images there is no copyright issue

Remember to keep your logo KISS = Keep It Simple & Straightforward

A black and white line drawing is much cheaper to print than full colour, and might even be more noticeable than a photo

I would try the words

ALI'S
ANGELS
[/b]

with just a wing either side, or maybe a halo above........

Remember your logo needs to look good 15mm x 15mm on your letterhead, 10mm x 10mm on your business card, and 600mm x 600mm on the side of your van!

the red carpet

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2006, 05:19:46 pm »
I got mine done for £20 you can see it on my site www.carpetcleaningessex.co.uk
i got someone to do a line drawing for me and then had them scan it.
mine is not the best but i have seen the girl do some very very good ones, im sure she would be able to do a nice drawing for you, if you want me to give you her contact details i will.

Ali_D

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2006, 07:18:13 pm »
Thanks red carpet.  Could you email her details to me please.

Ali