Jan K

Re: do my figures add up???????
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 04:54:38 pm »
easy enough to clean your own oven as long as you don't mind tying up the bath overnight!!
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

CMS

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 05:09:43 pm »

all i can say is i have spoken to ian robertson from OVENMASTER in shropshire

I have never known anyone to do oven cleaning and have never had our oven cleaned by anyone else.

And I'm in Shropshire so.........who is this guy and where is he cleaning them?

cleaning co

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 05:38:30 pm »
just employ another bloke then u can carry them outside and blast them to bits with 3000 psi steamer !!!  ;D

*Chris Browne

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 07:00:57 pm »
i'll give ya three quid..oh and a brillo pad  ;)

clifford123

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 10:39:55 pm »
mmmmmmmmm''''thinking bout ur offer 3 quid make it 4 u got a deal...u can keep the brillo  8)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2005, 11:28:46 pm »
What I did not say in leaflet drop post we just deliver leaflets for our own services so they do not get mixed in with Loads of Newspaper Leafles

This costs £40 to £50 a thousand  but although not top quality i have the use of a two colour copy printer so technically I save on print costs but thats another subject.

As I  and many others have said a regular !% rate That is one sale for every leaflet dropped is unlikley even if you are cleaning Oven for Free.

So do your sums again

Work out the figures on several results and see if you can still make money.

PS one drop os no guide

However with a New service such as Mattress Cleaning, im not supprised at poor response and would suggest other marketing methods

I think that was covered before

But for Domestic Cleaning,  and Carpets you can make money from leaflet drops

Ovens I would test carefully unless you have deep pockets

clifford123

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 11:57:16 pm »
point taken 8)

Art

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2005, 05:48:11 pm »
We do lots of oven cleans with end of tenancy cleans and i'd be more than happy to sub some work out if i could get a reliable , reasonably priced job

REGINA

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2005, 10:48:47 pm »
Not sure if my info helps but here goes.... I received a business card in the mailbox for oven clean and well quite frankly I never knew such a business existed (I'm from America). So I decided to keep the card - not really sure why. I placed it under a magnet on the fridge and thought one day I might call - get a quote. We lived in military quarters and so the over was not ours - number could prove useful...at the end of the day here it is marching out month, week ...day and guess what? Nope I never called them - I could have paid to have it done, it HAD to be done and what did I do - pulled out the Mr. Muscle oven cleaner!!! Then guess what else. My girlfriend was marching out same day and I went over to see her asked if I could help her she said she hadn't cleaned the oven and I cringed--- she pulled out a can of Mr. Muscle oven cleaner and before you know it - ovens were clean!!!!!!!

I think I still kept the oven cleaner card - not sure why.

P.S. I had my first job a tenant clean - and they wanted the oven cleaned and who was there to help? MR. MUSCLE!!!  :)
Ciao! GINA

clifford123

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2005, 10:08:33 am »
ok then tell me this why do people pay to have their house cleaned, their car valeted, their carpet cleaned, drive power washed even ironing....i could go on and on.......could it be they are busy people and just hav'nt got the time etc:   the oven clean itself is not just a quick scrub with a brillo pad the idea is...is to restore it to showroom condition....the job itself can take up to 3 hours to complete.....anyway at the end of the day i can't see the difference from this service and and all the others provided bt the people on this excellent forum.......AND as i've said before the people i am speaking to are all making a good living from this service, with facts and figures to back it up......................................P.S. I'M NOT GIVING UP TILL I FIND OUT FOR MYSELF >:( >:( >:(     

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2005, 09:58:33 pm »
Well done just go for it.

You can always add other services if you need to as you progress

john smith

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2005, 11:56:25 pm »
i have to say clifford, that i too scoffed at the oven cleaning business about 18 monthas ago, until i bumpwed into a chap on an end of tenancy clean. He proceeded to explain to me that he was earning about a grand per week.......................per van, average job around about £50 and doing 4 cleans a day, he has two vans on the road. he cleans himself, and pays other lad £300 per week.

So it can be done, i have witnesed it first hand, as for marketing with leaflets, you need to look at the bigger picture, this guy covers an area that is about 60 - 70 mile round and advertising in all local rags, also leafleting, radio failed to make money, and 6 monthly direct mail shots to exisiting customers................although he may be taking a grand a week per van, what is he actually putting on the table? if i were in your shoes i would run some dummy ads, flyers etc and then see what response you got, then maybe work out your potential earnings from this.

I have crossrefrenced the infomation i was told with, the chap in shropshire oven master, and "the oven cleaning compnay in surrey, i think it is a viable business, but dont be under any illusions that you will make a business just out of leaflets alone. Making a business will be down to your expertise in marketing.

john smith

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2005, 12:14:10 am »
ps, i forgot to say, when a professional oven cleaner cleans your oven, it looks brand new, showroom condition, i had them the above chap clean mine, about 1,5 hrs 2 hrs it took, and as tough as carpet cleaning (sweat wise). and have also subbed out work to them on one off cleans, again results are spectacular.

don't knock it, i ate mine own words, so will you..............go for it clifford

garyj

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2005, 12:33:46 am »
I think the problem with oven cleaning is the same as the problem with mattress cleaning. You don't really actually 'see' the results. My oven is a few years old and the inside is not  great, but the sides and hob still look like new when they are cleaned up so don't think about getting the inside done. Also there are oven cleaning kits you can buy now for well under a tenner which come with a bag and chemical, you just paste the solution on and drop the racks into the bag overnight so takes less than an hour.
I'm sure there is a market though, but a 60-70 mile radius is just too far to travel for work, especially if its to clean an oven for £50.00, most carpet cleaners wouldn't travel that for a £150 job.

paul bruce

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2005, 10:58:22 am »
Clifford the way your going your going to talk yourself out of this soon.
I set up an oven cleaning company two Months ago and have been marketing
heavily and sinking all the earnings into advertising and i expect to do this for a further 4 Months, direct marketing to households has to be ongoing.
It is a growth market and next year Yellow pages are actually listing oven cleaners under their own heading, until now they have shared the domestic cleaning columns.To give the right image make sure you get  a decent sign written van. Out of interest a lot of our business comes from referals,and not having to pay franchise fees means we are more competitive.   
believe in yourself and go for it.

best of luck Paul

clifford123

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2005, 04:38:36 pm »
many thanks ian john and paul for your encouraging posts............when speaking to the chap from ovenmaster i asked him if he leafleted when he started out..................told me he had thousands of leaflets in his garage..........initial work came from local paper advertising and thereafter mostly referals.............anyhoo as i've said before i'm no stranger to starting a business from scratch AND I WILL MAKE A SUCCESS OF THIS ONE (i hope :D)..............thanks again
ps all my name is dave....cliffords my surname...thought there would be loads of dave's on the forum ;D ???

garyj

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2005, 04:55:36 pm »
Best of luck Dave, I really hope it all works out for you.
And remember the cheapest advertising you can get is referrals and as you know because you've been in business before, you are selling yourself as much as the service.

The Oven Cleaner

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2005, 05:26:28 pm »
hi Dave

I run an independent oven cleaning business and have tried all types of advertising. Radio and local Papers did not work for me, where as leaflet drops have.

I have learnt the expensive way  :(, but at least i now know what works for me.

Regards
The Oven Cleaner

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2005, 07:02:20 pm »
I have an oven cleaning business and I leaflet delivering them by hand (normally me pre or post jobs) and pretty good response.  Prospects dont aways like the prices but if they dont want to do the work themselves they have pay.  I have delivered 10,000 leaflets 70 jobs in 3 months, plus calls every week from the  leaflets I delivered 3 months ago.  Plus I advertise weekly on local paper, Yellow Pages etc.   Should get about 3 jobs per 1K as a guide anything higher than that your are going really well.

Mattress Cleaning 10,000 leaflets 2 responses!!!!!

grahamed

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2005, 02:03:59 pm »
Hi Dave,

Its Ed From Excel Cleaning services Ltd. Give us a call on 0800 389 3675 or look at our websit www.excelovenclean.co.uk

Your  making the right choice by moving into domestic oven cleaning. Gives a call on the freephone number and I`ll tell you about our company and network of independent oven cleaners.

Speak soon

Regards

Ed