Moderator David@stives

Re: marketing a window cleaning business
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 10:28:34 pm »
It cost me £145 for the course £120 in petrol, time away from work and yes it was worth every penny.

The course did give me a boost i needed, it also shown me I have been barking up the wrong trees over the last couple of years, I already run a successful business employing 4 window cleaners and I have 3 vans, so you would think i know what i am doing.

The course shown me a few little pointers which will help me re focus to grow even faster.

You take out of these courses what you want, you can either say "load of rubbish" or you can put into practice some of the ideas you have been given.

Gwcs

When did you do the marketing course ?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 10:30:41 pm »
GWCS

Just seen your avatar and the scrolling writing, say no more !!!

GWCS

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 10:55:53 pm »
GWCS

Just seen your avatar and the scrolling writing, say no more !!!

ahh, ive not changed that, going from what the admin have to say regarding H&S i dont think the MGWC are worth continuing or even promoting with but thats a seperate story.  lol

I did the marketing course last year around this time, but to be honest i have found more help from kevin the wcmm. Learning about what and why peolple chose who they do, and what is the factors that will get them to go with me for the maximum money i can get from them.

I want to have as little customers as possible and gain as much money as possible residential only. I have no interest in pursuing commercial clients, or having large regular resi rounds

This was not discussed by BWCA at the time..

Platinum NW

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 01:33:47 am »
Id save my money and try different methods of canvassing and pricing etc.....
Id canvass differently , see which seemed more effective and suited me and pursue that route.
I also believe that when canvassing you need to keep it short and sweet and above all be very confident
If you get a plan of what you want from your work go and make it happen. If your self motivated you dont need someone making money off you by telling you how to get where you wanna be you just need to put more effort into finding that route for yourself. Why pay someone to make decisions for you because not every business model will suite every business but i believe that the trial and error method gained me more business skills in 3years than if id have spent 5years being told how to run a business.

Just remember as businessmen we are here to use our own innititive so why do you think its logical to pay someone to use their innititive for you?
Maybe the courses are good when your starting off to gain some marketing knowledge but if you think outside the box and apply common sense you will overcome problems yourself.

I dont want to waffle on but the facts are these people are businessmen too and we are the clients. In the same way we sell our services to customers who dont really need us they do the same to us in that we really can do it ourselves but they get us thinking they have the answer to you gaining more income which is bait many fall for.

MY MARKETING ADVICE - YOU GET FURTHER WITH YOUR BRAIN THAN YOUR WALLET

Platinum NW

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 01:46:19 am »
It cost me £145 for the course £120 in petrol, time away from work and yes it was worth every penny.

The course did give me a boost i needed, it also shown me I have been barking up the wrong trees over the last couple of years, I already run a successful business employing 4 window cleaners and I have 3 vans, so you would think i know what i am doing.

The course shown me a few little pointers which will help me re focus to grow even faster.

You take out of these courses what you want, you can either say "load of rubbish" or you can put into practice some of the ideas you have been given.

Just out of interest how many people attended the course with you and how long did the course last ?

Trevor Knight

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 08:25:13 am »
Hi Dave,

Been a while since we last spoke, hope your well mate.

So, business good then?

As for the course, well if you felt you got value for money then a course worth doing.

But my feeling is this. As a business you have to keep records as you go of what worked and what didn't. You must monitor leaflet drops, telesales campagins, advert returns, customer referrals, cold calling, marketing avenues.

Once you know this you then have a good demographic for what worked and what didn't.

Next you need to monitor your customers.

Average price - too high, too low, cancellations - why?, poor work, moving, cutting back, frequency of cleans. This will now give you the demographic of your customer, where they pay better money, which area has most cancellations etc....

So, now you know what method you have the most success with in terms of getting a new customer and you also have the information of what to expect from them and how to keep them.

Put these together and you have the basis of a sound marketing plan.

I am not saying what I have written is gospel but having 5 vans on the road its helped me grow?

Best wishes mate,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 09:59:23 am »
Hi Trev

Hope you are well.

Business is booming we have more than doubled in turnover in each of the last 2 years

I know a lot about marketing already, but there is more than one way to skin a cat, I went on the course to learn off the master, A guy who's window cleaning business was turning over £1m when he sold it. The course has given me a few things that I will try out over the next few months.

If you are happy with your existing growth, then you dont need this course, If you want to hear a few Ideas which could POSSIBLY accelarate that growth then what have you got to lose.

Platinum

There was 12 other people on the course, mostly new starters and people who have been made redundant, so there here and coming to get you.

The course lasted 9.30 - 5.00

Platinum NW

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 10:23:33 am »

Platinum

There was 12 other people on the course, mostly new starters and people who have been made redundant, so there here and coming to get you.

Dave
Im not trying to knock the coursese as im sure they are very helpful for some people who are starting up but people like yourself who are establsihed i wouldnt think needed to spend £145 on courses where you can go off you own experience. I know you feel you gain more knowledge from the courses but do you think the knowledge you gain is worth £145 course fee as well as £120 petrol. Do you think you could have got the same knowledge anywhere else cheaper like on here?

Dont know about you but £145 x 12 = £1740
Do 2 per week and thats a nice income

I dont know anything about the guy who takes the course so correct me if im wrong but i think the only way to turnover so much money is to have a good residential round - Lots of commercials with backhanders taking place to secure contracts and lastly by franchising the business- is this the way he did it?
From what you have learned now off the courses there cantbe more ways he can tell you how to expand> When your in business you always question why another business wants your custom because i always think a)Do i really need them b)How much c)What are they gaining by providing the service

Hope i have given you a little more perspective on things as i have two very good friends who are millionaires. Ones 25 and the other 30 and lessons i take from them are to know the market, Know the competition and be wary of the vultures. Ones made a fortune in property as well as manufacturing and engineering services so they have a good knowledge of different sectors

Good luck anyway Dave hope your business continues to grow and let us know if you double profits again this year

SimonMoore

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 05:41:37 pm »
Hi dave its simon we met on the marketing course the other day, always good to put a face to the name.
Did you get much out of the course yourself ?   I should have taken more notes (thought we were gonna get handouts at the end!)

If you could pass on those details you mentioned it would be much appreciated  .
my email is simon@ultrapureclean.com .

quic questoin ive been looking at various software out there to help manage work do you use any of these?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 06:35:16 pm »
Hi Simon

Nice to have met you.

Yes I got something out of the course, especially a good kick up the backside.

Did you learn anything and will you put anything into practice ?

If you email me your contact details and the areas you work then i will pass your details on.

As for Software I use George, it is cheap and cheerful and does a fantastic job.

GWCS

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 06:54:32 pm »

Platinum

Dave
Im not trying to knock the coursese as im sure they are very helpful for some people who are starting up but people like yourself who are establsihed i wouldnt think needed to spend £145 on courses where you can go off you own experience. I know you feel you gain more knowledge from the courses but do you think the knowledge you gain is worth £145 course fee as well as £120 petrol. Do you think you could have got the same knowledge anywhere else cheaper like on here?

Dont know about you but £145 x 12 = £1740
Do 2 per week and thats a nice income

I dont know anything about the guy who takes the course so correct me if im wrong but i think the only way to turnover so much money is to have a good residential round - Lots of commercials with backhanders taking place to secure contracts and lastly by franchising the business- is this the way he did it?
From what you have learned now off the courses there cantbe more ways he can tell you how to expand> When your in business you always question why another business wants your custom because i always think a)Do i really need them b)How much c)What are they gaining by providing the service

Hope i have given you a little more perspective on things as i have two very good friends who are millionaires. Ones 25 and the other 30 and lessons i take from them are to know the market, Know the competition and be wary of the vultures. Ones made a fortune in property as well as manufacturing and engineering services so they have a good knowledge of different sectors

Good luck anyway Dave hope your business continues to grow and let us know if you double profits again this year

when i was on the course there wan about 20.

However it is pocket money for craig, and yes i agree he has done very well for himself and he seems a very nice person, he knows lots and i dont disagree that he has a huge amount of knowledge to give.

But im not sure i found it that worthwhile for the amount it cost in total. The info i obtained i think i could have easily acquired it from asking the right questions on some forums.

However thats a personal judgement, you cannot give this until you have been on a course.

So Dave, your obviously a very good business man, and doing very well for yourself, and in your own admissions know lots about marketing.

What did you find useful and was you told anything you didn't know already? If so what?

Mr Formby

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 08:49:01 pm »
The course I went on had about 15 window cleaners on it, of those there were 3 who went on forums.
If you dont use the forums the information you can get from it is great , but if you have been window cleaning any length of time , or visit forums for me it did not tell me anything I did not already know.

SimonMoore

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 09:35:55 pm »
Hi Dave, not sure if you are still watching this post,,
I sent you an email a while back just checking if you recieved it?

many thanks

Simon

wizard

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:07 am »
Just one point we seem to miss is value.This will be based on the years one has been in any industy due to what we know.A newby will receice more from a course and as we climb the ladder in life the more we know.So value for a chat that been in the industry a long time ,one will only gain nuggets of value.these will be the pearls of wisdom that adds value at the top of what you already know and sharpen the point of our business.What the experenced of us need and want is advance master courses.To  give value for a newby and experenced course would be imposable.My be these teachers are missing the boat of oppertunity and might need a course them selves.

Window Washers

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 06:35:54 pm »
Doing any one day course or reading a book cover to cover in a day is worth it. If you come away with just one sentence or paragraph that can change your view or outlook in a positive way, the cost is insignificant to what you may go on to achieve with your new knowledge or understanding.

You can’t expect every thing you hear or read to completely useful you only need to find that little bit of information that can change a lot for you.

This is the best bit of advice in the post so far IMO
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

M Henderson

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 07:36:20 pm »
Insert Quote 
Quote from: Ewan on August 19, 2009, 09:25:52 PM
Doing any one day course or reading a book cover to cover in a day is worth it. If you come away with just one sentence or paragraph that can change your view or outlook in a positive way, the cost is insignificant to what you may go on to achieve with your new knowledge or understanding.

You can’t expect every thing you hear or read to completely useful you only need to find that little bit of information that can change a lot for you.

This is the best bit of advice in the post so far IMO 

I second that. I reasoned the same way when I bought this manual and I'm glad I did.

http://windowcleaningresources.wordpress.com/2009/11/08/how-to-win-commercial-contracts/

simon smith50

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 06:36:50 pm »
i agree that mr taylor knows what he is talking about already got his entire package on disc just need ink in my printer now lol
now we're flying
flipper and pole all the way

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2009, 12:53:59 am »
Reliabilty, quality , cost , but most of all RECOMMENDTION   seems too do the trick .
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."