Terry_Burrows

Re: I need a push!!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2003, 06:30:29 pm »
;) Good Luck Bones! just remember,when your out
there on your own,when the good times roll!always beware,because the bad ones can be round the corner,in any way shape and fashion!trust me I know what I am talking about!

after some 27 years I think I should its been hard work!for me in every way..I give a rabbits foot to you!!go forth and graft!
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

The_Fed_Man

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2003, 11:02:32 pm »
Unless you have 3 months income in a savings account to live off whilst you're picking up work, the best way might be to buy a small concern, someone who is giving up or a window cleaner who has too much work.  Deposit down, pay back over a period whilst you are earning.  You will find the more people you work for, the more people will hear of you. Ask window cleaners, check newspapers, business brokers, and THE FED!! 0161 432 8754.

Don't just burn your bridges, take a calculated risk and make those mortgage payments.
Martin Warman
Executive Council Member N.F.M.W & G.C.
www.nfmwgc.com

Mikey Warner

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2003, 11:31:07 pm »
Who is and what is  THE_FED_MAN  :-/  ;D

The_Fed_Man

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2003, 11:33:37 pm »
Think of him as your Guardian Angel ;D
Martin Warman
Executive Council Member N.F.M.W & G.C.
www.nfmwgc.com

Mikey Warner

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2003, 11:29:38 pm »
;DThanks Guy's!!! ;D You helped me make the move into the grafting world of window cleaning  :D

I thought i would leave this post just to let you know where my 1st day of canvassing got me?????.

My friend who I have told you about in this post gave up his day to help me canvass the areas he knows need a cleaner (what a star!). I went to the houses biz cards in hand and laden with my new shiney tools (i'll be glad when they look a bit worn!!), and offered my services and if they wanted to hire me as such I wiuld there and then clean the front windows there and then free of charge. I had a great response and my friend done me proud also.
I ended up at the end of the day with 28 homes to do!  ;D ;D ;D ;D My friend also picked up 17 for me last week  to go with the 50+ he has already offered me. So, I'll be canvassing like **** for the rest of the week!!!!

So thanks again guy's!!!!! I know where i can get all the help I need ;D

STEVE71163

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2003, 12:30:48 am »
Nice one Bones :D Its great when you first do your canvassing unsure of whether your doing the right thing but then comming back with a pile of work ;D

Steve Lowe

sham33

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2003, 01:00:09 am »
At that rate u will have your £20.000 a year covered in a week  ::)

Mikey Warner

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2003, 01:08:29 am »
Thanks guys, but I must admit I've had a good helping hand from my mate and I have got loads and loads of info from this forum, I owe alot to this and you guys and may I buy you all a "virtual cyber" drink ha ha ;D What's ya medicine guy's!! ;D

oh yeah, Sham,.. I'm on the club from my present employment at the moment  Shhh ;) So I got my first couple of months covered for my pay, haha ;D

g_griffin

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2003, 11:20:53 am »
i`ll have a pint of gg4 please bones.good luck and get well soon(hee hee).    gerry

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2003, 02:51:25 pm »
Hi Guys
Doesn't this particular topic make the whole site worthwhile?
I agree entirely with Bones' strategy for getting new customers by giving them their first clean for free. You have to give before you get - which is something all the members on this topic seem to have done!
A word of caution, however, it is easier to get new customers when you've just started in business because you get so enthusiastic and because each one is so valuable. The key to success is to continue to treat each customer as though they are the single most important one. A lot of businesses take their customers for granted and, over time, they start to neglect them without realising it.
Maybe Bones has given us a valuable lesson without realising it!
Regards
Mike

Craig_Wilson

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2003, 05:00:54 pm »
Hi Bones,
It's so funny reading over your post as it's a very similar situation to which I was in myself.I too was working continental shifts and hating every moment of it,like yourself a friend of mine gave me 40 houses to start off with which I originally did on my 4 days off.Over a period of six months through word of mouth mostly and a little canvassing I now have over 200 customers.Last week I rapped my job in to concentrate on the windows full time.Already I'm earning the same as I was in my factory job and I'm pretty sure that over the next few months I'll be earning a lot more than what I was previously.Go for it and good luck to you.

Mikey Warner

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2003, 12:41:26 am »
Thanks Guys! I can't say how much this site gives me the urge to get on and do my best!! I now feel a free and indipendant person (my own boss) and I feel great. I know hard times will come,... but I'll put a bit away for a "rainy day"  ;).

Had another good day canvassing and got asked to do some other cleaning work which i do not know how to price so i'll post that in the cleaning issues section.

Another good thing i love is, all the different types of characters you meet! from the old boy who tells of his courting days to the nice blonde bit round the corner  ;) ;D

Cheers guys!

Mikey Warner

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2003, 10:55:09 pm »
Hey guy's!! Just an update, the work is piling in and everything is going ahead of plan  :-/ ......  ;D

Big thanx to shinner (Alan), You've gave me a lot of help and ideas and i'm very thankfull!  ;D

Mikey

STEVE71163

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2003, 01:05:04 am »
Hi Bones,
             Business still building ok ???

Steve

fez

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2003, 11:57:49 am »
I've just read this topic for the first time this morning and it's really good to read about the exploits of someone starting out!

Good luck Bones! (Although I'm sure you don't need it).

Mikey Warner

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2003, 10:28:21 pm »
Hey Guy's! thanks for still showing intrest in this topic :o

Things are going better than expected here. I did'nt realise the other odd jobs you can fit in with the window cleaning. Like cleaning facias and gutters and things. I done a facia the other week, the nieghbour asked if i could do thiers, she's passed the word about and now i got hell and all facias to do!! ;D

But one thing,  "I'M KNACKERED"!! (but's it's bloody worth it)  ;D

Big thanks again guy's!!

fez

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2003, 11:39:38 pm »
How are you pricing for your facias and gutter clearances?

I tend to go by the size of the house but I sort of make it up as I go along - no formula :-/.

Mikey Warner

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2003, 12:27:31 am »
Hi Fez, Pricing?? well I don't know if i'm doing it right as the few people i have done it for so far are well happy with the price  :o

What i'm doing at the moment is:

Facias: £7.50    a side for Standard size Bungalows.
           £10.50  a side for Standard 3 Bed Houses.
If they want the gutters just wiped while i'm up there I'll chuck another £2.50 on for Bungalows and £4.00 for houses.            
Bigger Houses/Bungalows I sort of add a bit of an hourly rate to it eg. if it gonna take an hour longer i'll chuck another £15 on give or take a a couple of quid.

Digging out and cleaning a gutter i don't know yet as i have not been asked to do one, except off her indoors so i'll probably do that and work on how i do that?? ???

Hope this helps you, but i know in different parts of the country you can ask a bit more or maybe you'd have to ask a bit less. I thought i lived in a bit of a "tight" town but from the feedback so far it sounds like i'm doin myself out of a bit extra??

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2003, 08:18:31 pm »
Do it mate
                i started by accident like you 8 years ago,
hated my current job and thought sod it im going to end up in an early grave either through stress or i was going to get locked up for what i could of ended up doing to my then bosses!

the following day i went out with pad and paper knocking on doors,i couldnt beleive the amount of work i generated in just four hours,250 quids worth which i completed the nxt day!

From then on it snowballed,yeah i was lucky the area hadnt been covered and was ripe for picking,even in areas where there are a lot of windowcleaners ther is always enough work to go round,just go,do the leg work,get you face known it doesnt take long.

You are never going to get well working for some one else,making moneys easy, theres no tricks, i found a big smile and a positive attitude move mountains mate,a few carefully placed twigs and the fire will roar in no time.

go for it mate!

good luck   Scott    

Mikey Warner

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2003, 12:01:45 am »
Thanks Scott, It's all systems go now and no turning back, Just can't wait to give the manager my little envelope with my notice  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mikey