ianhannaford

New Software for Window Cleaners
« on: May 10, 2006, 03:41:55 pm »
Hi,

We are releasing a new piece of software designed by window cleaners for window cleaners. The software takes all the hassle out of the day to day running of your business and in turn will save you time and money.

One of the biggest problems that we faced was how to keep the product really simple yet provide all the functionality required to run your business successfully.

We think we have achieved this and as such the software is due for launch mid June. In the meantime we have set up a webpage so that you can register your interest. We will then email you once we release the product. As our way of saying thank you we are offering 25% discount off the retail price just for signing up.

Here are some features of the product:
- Visually schedule your clients with ease
- Keep track of your customers
- Manage your debts
- Keep control of your mileage and other expenses
- Notifications on where you can save and make more money
- Organise your customers into rounds
- Instantly see your accounts
- Fully printable reports across the product
- keep track of multiple accounts
- Raise invoices for jobs or debts
- See the complete job history of any customer
- And lots, lots more…

Our website is www.windowcleanerpro.com

Please visit now and sign up to receive your 25% off the RRP.

Thanks

Ian Hannaford

David 'Duck' Clare

Re: New Software for Window Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 04:59:23 pm »
any idea what the RRP will be?

as george is £50?

also will it work on a PDA?

DC

Trevor Knight

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 06:23:32 pm »
What is the difference between your software and George. I use George and have done for a few years without trouble, my only moan is when a debt list is generated you don't get the telephone numbers with it? Will your software have this function?
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

George Systems

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 08:00:59 pm »
Hi Trevor

You should have mentioned it before - I will add it to our development list.

Paul

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 02:17:07 pm »
Paul

What would make your program complete for me is if you could enter wether the customer has paid by cash or cheque.

I would even pay extra for that function as it would save me from having to enter my cash takings in a seperate book every evening.

Thanks

Dave

George Systems

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 02:58:46 pm »
Hi David

That's on our development list.

It needs a change in the finance file data structure and we can't do that at the moment. The next version will have a new structure for the Job file and we will probably change the Finance file in the version after that.

Paul

Spursboy1972

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 07:15:11 pm »
Hi

I have trouble with customers that are ring only. I have 3 like this that ring us about once or twice a year. They pay over £150 per visit but I cant store them. Also could you develop a way that customers that have wash downs and con' roofs etc pay more than their standard window clean. You can only show this as tips. Is there a possibility of another way?

Tony
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

George Systems

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 08:02:26 pm »
Hi Tony

Set them up as Once Only Jobs. When you've done them they will be set to "Completed" status and disappear from the WorkList. 

Next time they ring just set them back to Live, change the Next Due date and away you go.

The next version will allow you to have more than one "Task" per Job. You will then be able to  set the Tasks to every 2 times/3 times (etc) so they appear on the WorkList when they're due - and with the correct prices.

Currently you can change the price for them but don't tick the "New Job price" box - you don't have to put it in as Tips.

eMail me at our "support@" address if you need more info.

Paul

pjulk

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 08:34:06 pm »
Ian

Myself like many others here use george.
What does your software offer us that george does not.
Also you have not mentioned the price which im sure we would all like to know.

Paul

ianhannaford

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 08:05:19 pm »
Hi Guys,

Sorry I havent replied but been a bit busy with the development.

The software will have all the features mentioned in the above post, like the ability to record how customer paid, a notes system so that you can be alerted when customers need calling, setting the frequency of a job to multiple instances, phone numbers on the debt list and many more features.

We have completely had a rethink to the way that scheduling of jobs and rounds work and beleive that we have acheived a unique and flexible system that doesnt tie you down to calendar days.

Anyway more on this once we release the software.

The retail price will probably be between £50 and £100 but you can sign up at our site and receive 25% off when we do go live.

www.windowcleanerpro.com

Ian Hannaford

JohnL

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 10:04:04 pm »
Sounds interesting but to compete you have to have a very well thought out system whilst retaining flexibility, with a very good up-front price, have a definitive structure of features backed up by a 'try before you buy' option.  Oh and be able be interactive with palms and handhelds.

George seems to be a popular app but competition is always good for the developement of a product.

I look forward to your future posts

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

ianhannaford

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 02:54:04 am »
Hi John,

Thanks for your comments. I agree that competition is always healthy and look forward to the comments once we release the product.

Our main business is to help small and medium enterprises to grow by utilising technology in the day to day running of their business. With years of experience in growth management and combined with the requirements taken from 5 separate cleaners we believe we have created a piece of software that will not only help in the administration of your business but also help you grow and reach your full potential.

I could go on and list all the features of the product but the best thing I can do is let it speak for itself once we go live. Their will be a demo version available to download and try. Ideally we would like to take the initial feedback and develop the product into a useful tool. Once this is acheived we will then develop modules that can run on palms and pocket PC's.

I look forward to hearing back from the users of the system and hope that our product will become a vital part of your window cleaning business.

Until launch time...

Ian

Trevor Knight

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 07:13:32 am »
This sounds really interesting.

My suggestions are as follows:

1) Be able to see how and when the customer paid. i.e Cheque/cash on 22/06/06. Sometimes customers say they have paid on such and such a date but you cannot see when they have paid on George.
2) A list generated for all customers that day/week/month that require ringing before you call to clean.
3) Debt list with telephone numbers would be very helpful.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Best wishes,

Trev

ianhannaford

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 09:10:36 am »
Hi Trev,

Thanks for your reply and you'll be glad to know that all the features you want will be included as standard in Window Cleaner Pro!

Thanks again

Ian
www.windowcleanerpro.com

Davie T

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 09:12:34 am »
Ian,  regarding updates, do you intend to do them regularly FOC or will you be charging an annual fee?  
In my opinion if I purchase the new software  it's worth remembering the actual time (and the actual cost of one's time) it will take to transfer the data fom old to new system + the odd mistake or two.  If it ain't broke ........................

ianhannaford

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 09:38:05 am »
Hi Davie,

Thanks for your reply. We intend to do regular updates based on the feedback and requirements of our users. You'll be pleased to hear that all our software that we produce has a one of cost with lifetime free updates.

One of the services that we will be offering is a data transfer service, where we can take the system froman existing system and port across to our system. We are not sure how this will work yet, whether it will be a manual process or whether we are able to write some automation utilities to do this - I'll keep you posted on that one.

We are also working on provding video training that will take you step by step through inputting the data and using the system and hopefully should teach you how to use the system for maximum profit potential. With the first phase accpetance testing that has taken place the comments seem to be positive about the ease of use of the system and most people are pleasantly surprised at some of the features that come as standard.

I understand exactly what you are saying about 'if it's not broke...' but we have seen many business fail to grow due to using old systems and outdated business practices that worked once but with the rapid growth in inducstry and technology they are getting left behind. Technology can really help automate all the mundane tasks and adminstrative burden that is part of any business.

Thanks

Ian

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 11:35:07 am »
Trevor

On point one you can see what date the customer last paid if you look in the history button for that customer.

I would like to see the cash/cheque feature as that is my one and only gripe about George.
It would save me working out a cash total for my cash book every week.

Dave

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 11:37:47 am »
Ian

Are you a window cleaner, if not how did you concieve the idea.

Dave

ianhannaford

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 11:48:00 am »
Hi David,

My first ever business was a window cleaning business but that was a few years ago! I now run a software consultancy firm that introduces technology into businesses looking to grow.

The idea was born since a few of my friends are window cleaners and have for many years moaned and ask me to create something that they can use to keep track of their customer and accounts. From this I decided to create a complete package aimed specifically at the window cleaning business.

We are just going through user accpetance testing and after this the product should be ready for launch. I know that many people use the George system but a little competition is always a healthy thing and I hope that our product will introduce another option for people looking for an easier way to manage their window cleaning business.

I actually have a question for you if I may...what would be the best way to present the data in regards to payment methods used by customers? Currently you can see this as part of the clean history for a particular job. Would it be handy to have a section in the accounts module that also presents this data across all customers/jobs?

Thanks

Ian
www.windowcleanerpro.com

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 12:06:20 pm »
Ian
It would help in daily summary to see what was a cheque and what was cash with a total for each possibly.

Also the ability to keep a running total of cash in hand as required by my accountant.

I have been told that i have to write down my cash total everyday and list all the expenses paid cash also.

It would be helpful if the figures were freely available everyday so i did not have to keep adding the cash up, normally i have to get the total for everything in daily summary then deduct the amount of cheques, some days i could have up to 7-10 cheques and the odd bacs payment.

All this takes 5 minutes brain power everyday and if i forget until the next day well that 5 mins becomes 20 mins.

The problem with me is i never know how much money i take to work, it is very hard to be diciplined and empty my pockets every morning and just take a float.So thats why i struggle with my cash book, if i had a till then that would be easy, but not very practical.

Thanks for the reply about who you are, i will look forward to trialling your programme.

Dave

ianhannaford

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 12:13:38 pm »
Hi David,

Ok, thats fine this is what we have already in the accounts module. You have a daily/weekly/monthly and yearly summary of the amount you have charged your customers, the amount of money you have taken (including a breakdown by payment method), the amount of debt outstanding, the total amount of expenses - and it will also do all the VAT and tax calculations if you have this feature switched on.

I'm hoping that the system will become so familiar and easy to use that it will alsmost be a joy to update on a regular basis. Once people start using a system that they find actually helps than hinders them they include it in their daily routine and after a couple of month becomes almost habitual.

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to hearing your comments on the final product.

Ian
www.windowcleanerpro.com

Trevor Knight

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 12:14:59 pm »
Trevor

On point one you can see what date the customer last paid if you look in the history button for that customer.

I would like to see the cash/cheque feature as that is my one and only gripe about George.
It would save me working out a cash total for my cash book every week.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I know what your saying but I want to be able to look at the history and see:

Cleaned 22/05/06
Paid 25/05/06 Cheque

This will stop late payers thinking they paid recently when you can say no that payment was for last month etc...

Maybe that makes it clearer what i was after.

regards,

Trev

ianhannaford

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 12:20:33 pm »
Hi Trev,

This is a sample screen shot from our system that shows the job history for a particlar customer/job.

http://www.windowcleanerpro.com/cleans.gif

I hope this is along the lines of what your looking for.

Thanks

Ian

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 12:22:27 pm »
I see what you mean now , i struggle to line the dates up myself sometimes.

I dont have to many problems with disputed payments so i dont have much call for that side of the programme.

Dave

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 12:24:18 pm »
Ian

It looks top bannana , you just have to sort your invoice numbering out now and stop cleaning the same property twice on the same date.   ;D

ianhannaford

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 12:27:15 pm »
lol, I knew someone would pick me up on that!! Like I said this is only a screen shot and not live data. The invoice column will actually be a button so that you can view the invoice that was raised (if any).

Ian

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 12:35:16 pm »
Looks and sounds really good, can't wait for the demo version. Any idea on what sort of price you will be selling at?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 12:36:06 pm »
Ian

the ability to be able to give a paid invoice or reciept after the job has been completed would be good also.

On george this can only be achieved if the job has been put on the invoiced items list.

Some  times i am asked months later for an invoice for previously completed and paid cleans.

Dave

ianhannaford

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 12:45:08 pm »
Hi David,

When you enter a clean against a job you can automatically rasie and print an invoice/receipt.

You will also have the ability to print a previous invoice or raise an invoice against any clean (including multiple cleans).

The retail price is expected to be between £50 and £100 but you can sign up at our site and receive 25% off the final retail price.

Thanks for all your comments and help and I too am very excited about releasing this product.

Ian
www.windowcleanerpro.com

Trevor Knight

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 04:18:26 pm »
Ian,

On your screen shot there is not date when they made the payment, just if they owe or not, is there anyway we can enter the date they paid please?

regards,

Trev

ianhannaford

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 04:20:40 pm »
Hi Trevor,

Noted and added!

Ian

ianhannaford

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 05:00:08 pm »
Hi Guys,

When adding (resolving) a debt against a customer, i.e. youhave performed the clean and not received that payment, would you:

1) Prefer to enter the collected money against each clean that has outstanding debts

2) Just enter the collected amount and let the system pay off the earliest debts upto the value of the collected amount

Thanks in advance

Ian

pjulk

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 05:19:26 pm »
Hi Ian

It looks like its going to be a great piece of software especially have cheque or cash with payment dates.

When adding (resolving) a debt against a customer, i.e. youhave performed the clean and not received that payment, would you:

For me i would like them paid off in order with the oldest debt first.

Paul

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 05:29:47 pm »
yes oldest first with the option to change if required

Dave

Davie T

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 09:17:08 am »
Hasn't Paul from George handled this well !   He has done the correct thing by keeping a distance from all the points raised. I am more than sure he has been watching this closely and has every intention of adding all and possibly more features. Had he chosen to participate he would have been forced to defend his corner with every point raised. ...................    Now you have a chance to post Paul!

Trevor Knight

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 09:23:48 am »
Agreed Davie,

I hope both parties can learn from each other and then we would have probably the best software programme available.

Trev

George Systems

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 11:27:05 am »
Hi Davie

Yes - I've been watching this thread closely !

So far, all the points are already handled by George - I added Payment Method recording (and analysis on the Daily Summary) to the next version this weekend. I think that's the only thing missing.

I will be very interested to see Ian's system when it's released. It appears to do a lot less than George - but maybe he has some surprises up his sleeve...

Paul

Davie T

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 11:57:50 am »
Hi Paul,  When is your latest update due whereby we will be able to use the new features?

George Systems

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 12:43:31 pm »
Hi Davie

We have a few Beta testers trying it out at the moment. When it's stable I will need to rewrite PocketGeorge to handle the new features - so it won't be available for a couple of months (if all goes well !).

This update has taken longer than any previous one - but it's adding some really valuable features so it should be worth the wait ...

Paul