Biscute

Re: Newbie question-developing a round that was done by someone else
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 04:25:21 pm »
I have to agree with stephen, dont just go take the mans work go and ask him what harm can it do and it saves a lot of problems that may occure.
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 07:52:48 pm »
So - howdit go Captain Lard? Did you get on yer bike and get tonnes of windows cleaned?
It's a game of three halves!

captain lard

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 08:12:02 pm »
Well I went and got started and got a dozen done though it took me longer than I hoped for 3 reasons.

1- first clean in well over 6 months
2-was wiping down the frames as well and they took some cleaning up.
3-getting the ladders safe.Some of the houses were a bit awkward and not wanting an accident took me time setting up.

Got tipped off two customers and just had a phone call from another who started off complaining about  streaky windows and My guts dropped and I was thinking oh **** when he started to laugh and said they were excellent.His wife came on wanting to know if I was keeping it up she was so pleased so that was nice but me heart is still in me throat after the wind up!

The WC before me hasnt been in over 6 months,I put the feelers out and the crack I got was he was concentrating on bigger properties .My fliers have been out a week with my number on,if he still wants this work he has a funny way of showing it,as far as I am concerned I am offering a service that he has not and the locals were desperate for a cleaner. 
If you were sick and couldnt work for a while would you let your customers know and keep them in the picture?Cos he hasnt.

captain lard

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 08:14:04 pm »
tip
keep safe think safe. if you think you cant reach it come down reposition and go up again it aint worth it

Thats exactly what I did mate!

I have also been knocking on doors asking people if they want a WC,anyone who said they already had one I said thanks for your time and waddled off.(2 or 3 people said they had a WC,thats all,the rest were chuffed someone was offering the service)In one afternoon got 20 odd customers and its growing all the time,My schedule is off now so my wife is going to be knocking on doors tomorrow for me telling the folks I told I would do there job on Saturday that it will now be Monday-weather permitting.The previous WC hasnt been seen on this parish in at least 6 months,my next door neighbours know him,I am washing their windows tomorrow,the crack is he is concentrating on bigger houses where I suspect he has better prices negotiated .

Having said that I dont want to have any hassle or do the dirty on anyone (tho at the moment dont think I have done anything wrong)so might go have a word .Will think about it.And thats a nice conversation opener actually stephen saying the neighbours have asked me after doing my own which is sort of true ish.

brett walker

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 09:34:43 pm »
18 months ago i sold a small round to a chap set him up with all the equipment trained him etc, only to find months later he'd had enough of w-c and instead of getting them another w-c he'd got a job in a factory.  So they did'nt have their windows cleaned for months :(

I took some of it back on myself because i felt guilty to the customer but Gaza hasnt got much work so i sorted him out with some too, the windows were filthy  :o

Been out pushing cards through doors this afternoon had 5 dogs try to bite me through the letter box :'(

Brett

captain lard

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 09:39:40 pm »
One of my customers warned me bout there dog who might bark a bit but the one that worried me -when I was up me ladder - was the house of the lady with over a dozen cats,I am up me ladder going dont jump if a cat suddenly pounces onto the inside window sill,was really concerned I would flinch-as you do when taken by surprise and have a fall!

Been a bit wary dropping flyers thru doorboxes as well like!

gaza

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 11:07:49 pm »
BRETT:THATS WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR. WATCH THOSE 3 NEW BUILDING SITES THAT IM DOING EXPLOAD ON ME THEN TO MUCH WORK,JUST WAITING FOR THE NNEXT PHASE OF RELEASE.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 11:11:23 pm »
stephenb1 makes a good point about ladder work - (I use wfp and have done for the past year) just tell customers from the start that you'll not take any risks and point out windows you feel unhappy going to.

However - he and biscute are being overly cautious (IMO) about seeing the other window cleaner after six months of his neglect. What does it take to tell your customers you're ill? You can get a family member to do that if retaining your round is important to you.

My round is full and I'm gradually pruning it and consolidating it - and although I let customers know if I'm handing them over to another w/c I must admit I have quietly let one or two customers who are unprofitable and out of my way slide and I feel a little guilty - but if I wanted them to stay I would have hung on to them.
It's a game of three halves!

Biscute

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2006, 06:28:28 pm »
Good on you, hope it all goes ok but i still hink that you should have gave him aknock and told him first seem as you said you know were he lived its just commen deicensy.
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

captain lard

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2006, 11:55:10 pm »
Fair point biscute but I dont think I am making him destitute.I sounded things out a bit beforehand and heard he wasnt interested in these streets,after doing some think I realise why as well .