captain lard

Hello everyone,I am looking to get into WC pt,the idea came to me when my wife mentioned our windows hadnt been cleaned in months,we did have a WC who called regularly but he hasnt been seen in ages.I have been looking for some pt work,and this seems a good opportunity.
I have asked about and I think he is concentrating on bigger houses elsewhere and the sort of suggestion is he isnt interested in doing the likes of my street and a couple of others.
I had thought about going to see him cos I think I know where he lives and talking about it but am a bit put off cos I dont fancy buying a round off him that he hasnt bothered with in over 6 months.
I am thinking of canvassing the 3 streets involved at the weekend and seeing if I can get some jobs.I am a bit worried though and dont want to cause a lot of trouble with him but feel that the work is up for grabs,if anyone wants to stay loyal to him then fair do's but I think people are desperate for a WC and I wouldnt mind providing a good regular service and doing it long term.
I wouldnt dream of doing this if he was coming to the street regularly like fortnightly or monthly but do some of you just shut down on an area over the winter and then resume services in the spring? Am I going against the WC code by doing this or would you say it is fair game??

Grafters Cleaning Services

Re: Newbie question-developing a round that was done by someone else
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 09:16:03 pm »
if he aint been around for 6months then GO FOR IT
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

captain lard

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 09:30:22 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement mate, I am gearing up toward going out and knocking on doors to see if I can get some business drummed up.I wanted to tap into the experience here on the forum though just to sound you folk out in case I was being a bit opportunist and unfair to a WC but he hasnt been around in months and I sort of feel I can offer a regular service and if people want it its up to them.

beefy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 09:41:59 pm »
if he was interested he would of told his customers he was going to be away or late if he's not contacted them in that time the area is free so get in there

captain lard

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:49:34 pm »
Well we were one of his customers and he said nowt,thanks mate-will keep you informed of developments.

Mike George

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 05:35:20 am »
Hi captain lard. I'm just starting up and I've found out that some people don't actually know who their window cleaner is, they just know somebody turns up every month and cleans the windows, and they pay them.

So when you go round, don't be surprised if some people are cross with you for not turning up for the last six months!
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog

captain lard

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:41:40 pm »
Lol - never thought of that! Cheers.

wightsurf

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 07:48:14 pm »
post some flyers if you don't want to knock on doors.works for me :D

regards

Martin

captain lard

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 08:45:46 pm »
Have thought about that but have put some feelers out and it seems folks are getting fed up and it seems the time is right to knock on doors.Having read a lot of posts here it seems the flyers can be hitty missy and I want to get in there and stake me claim so he who dares......(gulp)I plan do go out tomorrow teatime and see what response I get,the worst thing is people will say no but I am not going to take it personally.Am going to get a couple of T shirts printed up with my phone no and stuff on the back to show folks what I am doing nd hopefully thatll help customers come my way.Am in the process of sorting out some insurance and am buying some kit so I can practise cleaning windows this weekend.If I can drum up some jobs I will start on Friday next week and take it from there.Am expecting to take a while at first so am going to make sure I do a good job and be realistic in how many I can get through,hopefully,with practise itll get better.

tomh

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 09:50:14 pm »
i'd recomend getting some flyer's done for those houses where no 1 is in ! but i have friend's who build up a round very quickly as you plan too then give it a miss if they feel like it there is loads of work out there for everyone.... i'd go for it best of luck
Tom

captain lard

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 09:57:50 pm »
Good idea,am hoping folks will be in but I was going to knock up a flyer to hand people as they answered so will pop em in the no answers letter boxes-cheers.

craig jwc

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 11:06:24 pm »
Doorknock and flyers mate they can only say yes or no.
I started up by a few neighbours watching me clean my windows.
They asked me to do their's and it went from there.
Do a good job and you will get work through recomendation.
I have had a w/c ask me questions and advice and even asked if i would help him out.
I know i have had customers of his come over to me as they said they have heard i do a better job.
I'm not saying he does a bad job as he's been at it for just over 10 years.
Talk to other w/c if you see them about.
I find if you approach them first they don't feel threatened like they would if you ignore them.

Craig

captain lard

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 11:56:44 pm »
I have ordered some basic kit and hope to start practising cleaning windows over the weekend to see where I am at.

captain lard

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 10:58:14 pm »
Well,went out knocking this afternoon,picked up 26 jobs,12 refusals,leafleted 24 more houses-no one in and tomorrow hope to chase those 24 up and have another 35 houses to call on so cannot complain it went really really well.Was not too sure what to expect but was optimisic as I knew there hadnt been any WC round since well well before XMAS .Anyone who said they had a WC I just said thats not a problem and went,about a third were ecsatic,another third said they had a WC but he hadnt been for months and they just talked themselves into taking me on so I dont feel I have twisted any arms,if anything I was saying look stay with him ,you will see me around or take my flyer just in case so am due to start next Friday - thx for the help to those concerned.This weekend am waiting for the kit I ordered and will be practising like crazy.

Mike George

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 06:00:03 am »
Well done captain, I thought I was doing well with 25 customers in two weeks!

I don't think I could have coped with a lot more though - I've been doing desk jobs and driving jobs for the past 20 years and I'm getting a bit achey by the end of the day. Five houses a day is about my limit at the moment, with the physical effort and the fact that some houses still take me an hour to do.
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 07:40:20 am »
well done captain,

26 jobs in 1 afternoon ain't bad at all
jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 08:52:55 am »
Hi captain lard. I'm just starting up and I've found out that some people don't actually know who their window cleaner is, they just know somebody turns up every month and cleans the windows, and they pay them.

So when you go round, don't be surprised if some people are cross with you for not turning up for the last six months!

I've had that happen too.  The husband asked me to start window cleaning as the window cleaner hadn't been artound in ages.  On the second clean, his wife asked where I'd been.  I wasa bit put out at first as I had got around in the agreed 6 weeks.  Then, when she said it had been about 6 months, I realised what had happened and she cooled down.  Got a cup of tea as an apology :-)

captain lard

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 09:10:23 am »
Thanks folks - I have scheduled 10 -12 a day which might be ambitious reading the comments .Added to this itll be the first clean in over 6 months so it isnt going to be easy but its a case of bite the bullet and get stuck in,if 6 houses in and 6 hours later I am knackered and still slogging away I might be thinking different like .I had thought 10 or 12 was reasonable but am commited now!!Am excited and a bit apprehensive.

captain lard

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 01:15:00 am »
Start on Friday!!!!!!

stephen.b1

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 01:39:24 am »
stop stop stop
 i just joined this forum and noticed your post you are being feed candy for answers??
first go and talk to the window cleaner he may have been ill he may have family problems or he may of fell off his ladders and broke a leg  ??????????????tell him you started cleaning your own windows and some neighbous have asked you to clean theres ay he hasnt been around in a while. make it right with him  he may have spent many thousands of pounds on that round18 feet is a long way to fall of a pair of ladders.

secondly and most inportant you are not a window cleaner. you have no experiance with ladders you can learn to use a blade and scrim prety fast but ladders is a diffrent ball game i have known window cleaners with 15 years on the job and still fell of ladders and ends up with broken arms and legs  in the south last week a window cleaner died after a fall
i will leave it at that post a topic on the forum dangers of ladder use for newbie and learn

tip
keep safe think safe. if you think you can reach it come down reposition and go up again it aint worth it

Biscute

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 04:25:21 pm »
I have to agree with stephen, dont just go take the mans work go and ask him what harm can it do and it saves a lot of problems that may occure.
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 07:52:48 pm »
So - howdit go Captain Lard? Did you get on yer bike and get tonnes of windows cleaned?
It's a game of three halves!

captain lard

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 08:12:02 pm »
Well I went and got started and got a dozen done though it took me longer than I hoped for 3 reasons.

1- first clean in well over 6 months
2-was wiping down the frames as well and they took some cleaning up.
3-getting the ladders safe.Some of the houses were a bit awkward and not wanting an accident took me time setting up.

Got tipped off two customers and just had a phone call from another who started off complaining about  streaky windows and My guts dropped and I was thinking oh **** when he started to laugh and said they were excellent.His wife came on wanting to know if I was keeping it up she was so pleased so that was nice but me heart is still in me throat after the wind up!

The WC before me hasnt been in over 6 months,I put the feelers out and the crack I got was he was concentrating on bigger properties .My fliers have been out a week with my number on,if he still wants this work he has a funny way of showing it,as far as I am concerned I am offering a service that he has not and the locals were desperate for a cleaner. 
If you were sick and couldnt work for a while would you let your customers know and keep them in the picture?Cos he hasnt.

captain lard

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 08:14:04 pm »
tip
keep safe think safe. if you think you cant reach it come down reposition and go up again it aint worth it

Thats exactly what I did mate!

I have also been knocking on doors asking people if they want a WC,anyone who said they already had one I said thanks for your time and waddled off.(2 or 3 people said they had a WC,thats all,the rest were chuffed someone was offering the service)In one afternoon got 20 odd customers and its growing all the time,My schedule is off now so my wife is going to be knocking on doors tomorrow for me telling the folks I told I would do there job on Saturday that it will now be Monday-weather permitting.The previous WC hasnt been seen on this parish in at least 6 months,my next door neighbours know him,I am washing their windows tomorrow,the crack is he is concentrating on bigger houses where I suspect he has better prices negotiated .

Having said that I dont want to have any hassle or do the dirty on anyone (tho at the moment dont think I have done anything wrong)so might go have a word .Will think about it.And thats a nice conversation opener actually stephen saying the neighbours have asked me after doing my own which is sort of true ish.

brett walker

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 09:34:43 pm »
18 months ago i sold a small round to a chap set him up with all the equipment trained him etc, only to find months later he'd had enough of w-c and instead of getting them another w-c he'd got a job in a factory.  So they did'nt have their windows cleaned for months :(

I took some of it back on myself because i felt guilty to the customer but Gaza hasnt got much work so i sorted him out with some too, the windows were filthy  :o

Been out pushing cards through doors this afternoon had 5 dogs try to bite me through the letter box :'(

Brett

captain lard

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 09:39:40 pm »
One of my customers warned me bout there dog who might bark a bit but the one that worried me -when I was up me ladder - was the house of the lady with over a dozen cats,I am up me ladder going dont jump if a cat suddenly pounces onto the inside window sill,was really concerned I would flinch-as you do when taken by surprise and have a fall!

Been a bit wary dropping flyers thru doorboxes as well like!

gaza

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 11:07:49 pm »
BRETT:THATS WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR. WATCH THOSE 3 NEW BUILDING SITES THAT IM DOING EXPLOAD ON ME THEN TO MUCH WORK,JUST WAITING FOR THE NNEXT PHASE OF RELEASE.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 11:11:23 pm »
stephenb1 makes a good point about ladder work - (I use wfp and have done for the past year) just tell customers from the start that you'll not take any risks and point out windows you feel unhappy going to.

However - he and biscute are being overly cautious (IMO) about seeing the other window cleaner after six months of his neglect. What does it take to tell your customers you're ill? You can get a family member to do that if retaining your round is important to you.

My round is full and I'm gradually pruning it and consolidating it - and although I let customers know if I'm handing them over to another w/c I must admit I have quietly let one or two customers who are unprofitable and out of my way slide and I feel a little guilty - but if I wanted them to stay I would have hung on to them.
It's a game of three halves!

Biscute

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2006, 06:28:28 pm »
Good on you, hope it all goes ok but i still hink that you should have gave him aknock and told him first seem as you said you know were he lived its just commen deicensy.
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

captain lard

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2006, 11:55:10 pm »
Fair point biscute but I dont think I am making him destitute.I sounded things out a bit beforehand and heard he wasnt interested in these streets,after doing some think I realise why as well .