Fast 1 *

just starting out
« on: January 04, 2006, 08:23:07 pm »
hi,im just starting out in window cleaning.im trying to juggle my normal job as a bricklayer,whilst canvessing for work.my friend is a window cleaner and he wants me to go into business with him.what i am wondering is ,is it good to work in pairs?how much realistically would we earn a week.any advice would be apreciated
wildstyles

craig jwc

Re: just starting out
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:13:43 pm »
I started exactly the same way as you are thinking.
I started w/cing alongside my normal job and decided to take a chance and pack in my employed job.
Now i work for myself and don't regret it one bit.
If you put the effort in you will make it work but it will be hard to start with.
If you are thinking of going in with someone else just make sure there is enough money been earn't to go between the both of you.
If the work is there then you can both earn good money from it.
Good luck and if you want it to happen it will.

Craig

Fast 1 *

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 10:18:54 pm »
nice one mate.this is a good and encouraging site.i hope to jack my job in soon.i cant handle working for greedy companies anymore.it will be nice to have freedom away from the rat race.
wildstyles

craig jwc

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 10:26:00 pm »
I felt exactly the same. Day in day out.

You'll find alot of useful info on here and everyone only to willing to help.

Whatever your question just ask it as everybody at some stage was asking the same.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 11:02:43 pm »
how long have you been going?
wildstyles

craig jwc

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 11:33:43 pm »
Only been self employed 6 months.
I put alot of effort into it but it didn't take me long to make a living out of it.
I had my down days but the encouragment i got from this site was a great help.

I was working it for about 5 months before this as a 2nd job but realised i was getting more and more work and it was becoming difficult to do the 2.

That's when i had to make a decision.

Providing the work keeps coming in (and it is ;D) i never want to work for anyone again.

All my work i am getting now is from word of mouth, but i am putting an ad in the yellow pages and in this new 118 trader.

Only been back to work for 2 days after Xmas and i've come home to 4 messages on the answer phone for new work. ;D

Fast 1 *

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 12:05:04 am »
how many flyers should i be getting out a week?is knocking on doors a better option?what is the best way to generate commercial work.thanks
wildstyles

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 05:12:40 pm »
I find door knocking much more successful that leaflets. I carry leaflets to push through the ones that are out. Once you pickup a few in the same street and they see you working you always get people coming out to you for a price.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 03:22:12 pm »
i am,maybe stupidly,jacking my job in.im gonna go out knocking every day.we have secured a couple of nice jobs and i feel pretty positive.its gonna take time but for once i can see a future and a feeling of freedom and achievement.wish me luck
wildstyles

busydaffodil

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 08:20:07 pm »
GOOD LUCK fast one.  I'm sure 2006 will turn into your year - the year you broke the chains of employment & joined the self employed free!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 08:43:22 pm »
I never door knock.
I bought my rounds 7 years ago and have at least doubled my turnover whilst halfing the workload.
Now i have only got quality work nice and compact.
I dont know how you could achieve this without the basis of a round instead of doorknocking and flyers.
It would of been difficult to get my round like it is if i would of just purely doorknocked.
I have got 5 or 6 estates where i do most of the houses and it would be hard to doorknock these areas and pick up 1 job never mind a few .all you would get is my dregs and castoffs and homemovers, and i guess most decent areas are already covered near me.
Without buying my round who knows where i would be know

Fast 1 *

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 12:04:59 am »
thankyou busydafodil. but i must say to the last message that youve got to start somewhere.im sure there are plenty of windows out there.surely its a case of determination?i hope so anyway
wildstyles

busydaffodil

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 12:15:27 am »
You have already successfully built a business from nothing whilst still working.  You have been that successful that you now have a decision to make.
Considering your impressive part time start, and the fact that you now have too much work coming in to be able to work both jobs, I think you just ought to go for it.   Surely you realise you have the ability?  You record so far indicates that.

Besides, you dont really want to be sat on the couch at 65 with your company retirement clock saying "If only"??

Fast 1 *

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 12:36:09 am »
fair play to ya.mind you,we havent got bucketloads of work,i just cant work for my boss no more.I packed my job in today as a brickie,the money was ok,but the boss was a ****,isnt it funny how working for someone can make you dislike a job you onced liked.anyway,ive gotta pull my finger out big time and get some work in.thanks for the support,this site is blinding
wildstyles

busydaffodil

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 09:13:28 am »
We actually only go to work to earn the money to enjoy the rest of our life.   I think that we should also enjoy work.  Being unhappy at work ruins a third of each day - not good.

Get out there & prove how good you are!

Fast 1 *

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 05:58:02 pm »
your a star.Is it possible,in any way to get £2000 worth of work in 3 to 4 months by knocking,delivering flyers and ringing people constantly?I need to have realistic goals.any advice?cheers
wildstyles

busydaffodil

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 12:04:10 am »
I cannot answer that question for you.  I think it varies, area to area & person to person.

If you've already jacked job in, what have you got to lose?  Get out there & canvas, leaflet, etc.  Prove to yourself that you are capable!

Good luck!

Fast 1 *

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 12:41:36 am »
very true.have been doing well with the door knocking,works coming in quite nicely.I think just delivering flyers  isnt as good as knocking.I think this games got potential if you make the effort.thankyou for your support.what a blinding site for information and encouragement
wildstyles

preston powerblast

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 04:00:05 pm »
Being a brickie you can always get a few small jobs of yer own, or have add ons to your wc business.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 06:40:28 pm »
I was thinking that.The thing with the building game is you have to lay out for materials,and just in general i find it hard going.i dont think im going to miss laying heavy concrete blocks in the british winter and getting covererd in crap.I actually dont mind cleaning windows.I might not be saying that after a few years though...
wildstyles