gavin pedley

thinking of starting up and have a million questions!
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:30:59 am »
Hi all i have not been on her for ages.

I am thinking of starting up in window cleaning (wfp) to eventually replace my current job. I currently work full time as a care worker for people with Autism as does my wife, our son also has Autism and this is why we want a change.

I did contact a company today that is a franchise i guess they provide van fuel water etc and you are still self employed BUT they take 50% commission on what you earn. so if i earn £1000 i only get £500 and is not as flexible as i need it to be.

I have been looking into window cleaning for some time now and think it would suit but still have many questions lol, so here goes.

1. I have no funds as yet for a van or system but was thinking maybe a business loan what sort of price would i be looking at for system (mostly domestic round) and what van should i be looking for, or do i really need a van? i don't really want to run a family car and van. Could a system be fitted in a car? where in uk can i get good priced system?

2. I need to work around dropping kids at school at 9.30am and picking them up again at 3.00pm could i earn enough in that time to replace what i currently earn £1000 a month?

3. Is window cleaning seasonal? do you loose money/custom in winter can you still do windows in the rain obviously in Cornwall it rains a lot in winter! which is where i am.

4. Does anyone here work in cornwall? what areas need a cleaner and what sort of prices are you charging down here?

I have three days off during the week which i could use to slowly build the business untill i got enough to go part time at work and eventually quit to do full time window cleaning

I am sure i had loads more questions than that but can't think of them now, sure they will come to me again.

dazmond

Re: thinking of starting up and have a million questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:06:38 pm »
1.you could get a trolley and a few barrels in a estate car but a small van like a berlingo/kangoo/combo would be ideal.4 or 5grand would kit you out with van/trolley/poles/trad gear and insurance.

2.easily earn a grand a month part time once you ve got the work!!

3.no.i work all year round and have done for 16 years.i dont earn as much in winter due to short days and weather but easily make more than a grand a month! ;)

4.ive no idea how much they charge in cornwall apart from double what they charge in the north west!!

unless you buy a round to start off you will have to do a hell of a lot of canvassing/leafletting to build up enough work to earn a living out of it!!

best wishes

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:39:29 pm »
i work around st austell  email me bmwc@live.com    what part u in

Richard Neal

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:20:53 am »
Hello Gavin, me again!
My eldest son is autistic and can be home a lot of the time so i have always been self employed so the hours are more flexible, i have enough houses now to clean everyday if the weather lets me and on average if i work on my own i earn £100- £130 a day, i drop my boy at school at 8,45 and pick him up at 3.15 if i have my mate working with me then we do approx £200 a day, this is based on trad cleaning as i only got the wfp 2 weeks ago and im still haing issues with the ppm of the water!
This can be a great way to make a living but if the weathers bad like it was with the snow at xmas then it can be hard, i didnt earn anything for over 5 weeks ( goodbye savings for new van!)
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

gavin pedley

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:10:53 am »
Thanks for the reply rich nice to know it can be done. We just really need to make some changes so we have a bit of a life.

I have been feeding my brain on this forum for a couple weeks now and think i am slowly getting there and think/hope this can eventually replace my current job all i need to do now i sus out what van, system etc

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 07:45:20 am »
gavin the "all i need to do is decide what van/system to get" is just the start!

the real  problem is getting the work in the first place!i would advise you to buy a round and work with another window cleaner for a few months at least before starting up on you own or it could just be a big costly mistake and a waste of your time!!

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

cleewindows

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:42:07 am »
gavin go for it m8
id never cleaned windows before and enjoy doing it,im picking up customers every week.
be your own boss and enjoy it get the advertising and canvassing right and you can build a good business,i was gonna buy a few rounds but were very underpriced.
Thanks for the reply rich nice to know it can be done. We just really need to make some changes so we have a bit of a life.

I have been feeding my brain on this forum for a couple weeks now and think i am slowly getting there and think/hope this can eventually replace my current job all i need to do now i sus out what van, system etc

gavin pedley

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:52:02 am »
Thanks I understand that it is only half the battle and buying a round would harangues work but I still have a full time job and will do w/c on my days off so am not at risk of having no money I totally understand it will take some time to build a round and am prepared fir this I will not be leaving my current job untill I know I can afford to. Think the thing I am facing now is whether to go DIY or fully fitted system. I was looking at pure freedom diy kit. They provide cage but I am unsure about properly securing it also I am not sure what van to be looking at for a 400lt system.

cleewindows

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 07:15:50 pm »
Build DIY.I have full time job which I've gone to 4 night week.
I have a doblo.I have 250 in  but getting 400.great vans get DIY infact just but the bits you need to start without glass fibre pole.get a clx.or slx pole dedecent to system.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 08:41:46 am »
gavin

I am down the road from you give me a call, you can spend a day with one of our guys if you like

Dave

gavin pedley

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 10:15:31 am »
That would be fantastic the shyness in me makes me want to decline but I know I need to get over it and know it would be good experience. I am free on monday

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 04:52:54 pm »
Hi Gavin

Later in the week would be best, phone me Tuesday and we will arrange something

gavin pedley

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 05:54:43 pm »
Ok will do I the number on the first website in your sig?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 07:08:58 pm »
That would be fantastic the shyness in me makes me want to decline but I know I need to get over it and know it would be good experience. I am free on monday

You'll have to get over that shyness to build a business.  I was rather forced into w/cing when I first started.  It was that or the dole as there were no jobs about in 1991.  Having no income is a great cure for shyness  ;D  .

gavin pedley

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 07:50:44 pm »
Lol totally. I am sure I can get over it for me It is ether stay stuck in this rut and be skint all the time and hardly see my family or man up and make changes.

Richard Neal

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 08:17:57 am »
Helo Gav,
I havent been on here for a few days and just reading your thread from the start this is all lookiing pretty positive!! defo go out with another cleaner youll be amazed at the tips youllpick up, when i started i had no one to help and used to look on youtube to see how to clean a window!the shyness will go, i was in a rut when i started and needed something positive to get into, this job was just what i needed and years later i still get up looking forward to getting out there and earning my own wage.
Rich

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 02:00:24 am »
gavin did you ever spend a day with daves lads ??????????????????????/
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

gavin pedley

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 08:07:39 am »
Not yet hoping to near end of week

Richard Neal

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 10:33:12 am »
Make sure you try Matey thats a great opportunity  ;D

gavin pedley

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 10:38:33 am »
Indeed it is just spoke to David so hopefully will get out end of week, we will see.