Best way to clean out petrol tank.
« on: September 14, 2014, 02:43:41 pm »
As the title says. Whats the best way to clean out the petrol tank one my pressure washer, I was filling it up yesterday and notice it had some crap in the bottom im guessing some sand has got in. Is it best to take it off completely or is there a better way, also what can I use to rinse it out ?

Cheers Justin

Diamond standard ltd

Re: Best way to clean out petrol tank.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 02:54:26 pm »
Take it off is the best way rinse with water then petrol and leave to dry and re fit. Put a in line filter in the hose as well for good measure.

BDCS

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:45:27 pm »
Leave it on and use a compressor, it'll dry it out and allow the shat to come out on the flow of air. The fitting that the petrol hose goes on unscrews and that has a strainer that you can also blow off. Its better to stay off the woodbines whilst fooking about with petroleum spirits.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »
I had to clean one of these for JCB. I thought they had a tank to clean that I would be able to drive the van into and stand up in!!!!!!

They were exporting a whacker plate that had been rejected by customs and they would not allow it to fly because it smelled of diesel.

I took it to my unit, put a detergent in it, rinsed, put washing up liquid in it, for a fragrance and then rinsed and steam cleaned.

Don't be afraid to use a detergent, just rinse well and allow to dry before refitting.

Rob ;D

BDCS

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 04:57:39 pm »
Castrol R makes it smell nice  ;D

Kenny83

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 07:23:49 pm »
if it's a gx petrol engine or similar then make sure the crap isn't rust, you can check by sticking a magnet in there and having a look whats on the end, if it's rust then at some point you have had water in it, therefore has started to rust the bottom of your tank, if this is the case then throw it away and buy a new one
 ;D
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:03:46 pm »
if it's a gx petrol engine or similar then make sure the crap isn't rust, you can check by sticking a magnet in there and having a look whats on the end, if it's rust then at some point you have had water in it, therefore has started to rust the bottom of your tank, if this is the case then throw it away and buy a new one
 ;D

Its a GX390 Kenny but its only about 4 months old so hopefully its not rust.

Cheers for the help Ill give it try after work tomorrow.