Robin Ray

GDPR
« on: May 24, 2018, 07:03:18 pm »
Over on the window cleaning forum there is a thread on the new GDPR law coming in and someone has posted this link to a questionnaire which tells you whether you have to register or not https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/register/self-assessment/
I just did it and found i do not have to register.  :D  I'm sure that is the same for the vast majority. I just thought I would share it here. Have a look and put your own mind at ease.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

Re: GDPR
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:45:39 pm »
Thank you Robin. That’s very helpful.

From what I saw the key question is the last part of question2 . For all the first parts I would answer “yes” but it was the last part “do you share the info” which seems to be the key part.  I would have no need nor interest in sharing info and as such I presume I can truthfully answer “no” and hence be exempt.

Was that your thinking.?
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Robin Ray

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:52:38 pm »
Yes, it’s for my use only. I would have thought that is the case with most carpet cleaners..... most small businesses come to that. I wonder how many people are paying to register needlessly.

nathanjd

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 10:16:32 pm »
Good post Robin.

However I read Q2 differently to you guys, it does say: processing means ‘any’ of the following..

Just a thought.

Robin Ray

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 11:13:43 pm »
I answered yes to 2 as I am processing the info however its question 8 which really decides it as it asks why you are processing that information. If it is for your own records and marketing within your own business its fine.

John Higgins

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:14:40 pm »
Sorry You are all wrong if you store any data on customers ie even just a name address and email whether it for just your own use exclusively your are storing data if you have a website you have to comply with the GDPR Regulations regarding your site. Practically no business is exempt from the GDPR regulations.  which you have to implement within your business. 

Some business have to also register with ICO if they operate in a certain manner or industry.  All because it is not a requirement for you to register does not exempt you from having to implement GDPR in your Business

Robin Ray

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 10:09:57 pm »
Have you done the questionnaire John. It appears it is not the case according to that.
If for some reason I am wrong do you have any links to information which will conclusively show that?

Robin Ray

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 09:20:01 am »
Well its not often I'm right and it appears I am wrong again. After a little closer investigation some form of GDPR policy is necessary.
I do find it bizarre though  that a policy of this magnitude has been implemented without the government contacting anyone about it. We are a LTD company and have received zero information from the government about what GDPR is an what we need to do.
How do they expect to fine a business for not implementing something they have not been informed about?

jasonl

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 09:39:14 am »
My GDPR policy.....  Nobody cares about a tiny Cleaning business in South Yorkshire,  whoever is responsible for policing this cannot hope to prosecute .1% of non compliance, carry on as normal.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

edward coller

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 12:26:21 pm »
Ill Second that from an equally sized cleaning biz in Somerset!

jasonl

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 12:42:25 pm »
I am still waiting for the milenium bug to create a meltdown
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Dave_Lee

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 07:40:39 pm »
The only customer info I store is Name, address and trelephone number. I do not store e mail addresses. Any marketing done to these customers is by direct mail, so no worries there.
However as far as GDPR is concerned, I am legally bound to protect that info that I store. on my pc I do this by protecting access via a password. Copies on dvd or cd have to also similarly protected.
I also have to produce a document stating what info I store and how it is protected.
That's it!
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."