Matt_Benton

New Arrival
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:59:23 pm »
Hi there,

Just thought i'd drop by to say "Hi", cos i'm new to both the business and the forum and will probably be asking you lot loads of questions in the near future. Here's a little bit of background (hope it doesn't seem pretentious): my name's Matt and I'm 21 years old. I started my business back in November, though only part-time and (finally) went full-time at the beginning of this month. I'm based in South-East London and probably do about £300 per month, so there's still a long way to go!

Anyway, here's my first question:

I've been thinking about getting a set of triple ladders, so that i can do town houses, second story flats etc. I thought it'd be a good way to expand quickly cos the extra height doesn't bother me and i'm fully insured. Any pros and cons that people can think of, perhaps those that have used them before?

Cheers, Matt

windolene

Re: New Arrival
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 08:38:41 pm »
Hi,

Matt,  I,am sure that the advice you will be getting is Don't get a triple ladder, but DO get a WFP system.

You may not be bothered about the height, but you will be bothered if you fall off & the law of averages says you will.

You will find lots of information on this site regarding WFP.

I am still traditional but am in the process of putting together my own DIY system.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:41:44 pm »
Just be aware that if you are going for town house's,
A lot of town house's are like terrace house's and a lot of rear access issues's.

Just be aware as sometimes they can be more hassle than they are worth.

Paul

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 08:48:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Matt.

We're a friendly bunch here, so keep asking questions.

But with regards to working on second floor stuff with ladders; be carefull.

To be honest, when I first started, which wasn't that long ago, I decided to only do first-floor stuff with ladders untill I could go WFP.

I'm not sure how much a set of triples cost, but you're probably looking at around £200 for a decent (safe) set.  For an extra £300 you could have an entry-level WFP set up, that could clean upto three-stories.

My advice would be to avoid second-floor work until you've transferred to WFP.

It's not only dangerous, it's hard-work too.

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 08:52:44 pm »
hi matt and welcome

take some sound advice, forget the triple ladder and go wfp it may save your 1 day ........ god forbid

i know it's a big investment but well worth it in the long run

jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Ian Rochester

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 09:10:38 pm »
I would go along with everything said before, plus if you are working by yourself it's bloody hard work trying to carry a set of triple ladders

Morph

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 09:30:39 pm »
Hi Matt,

Look at the majority of responses so far.......And they will keep coming.  These guys, mostly, have nothing to sell you, just good friendly advice free.
£80 per week in 4 months is good going.  There is a certain mentality that climbing a higher ladder proves you more of a multi skilled window cleaner.  The fact is, even with a ladder you can earn just as much by climbing 15 feet all day as you can climbing 28 feet all day.  I have learned as I'm sure most experienced guys have on here, that there is a kind of cut off point in the brain at about 15 feet.
You are much more unstable beyond that.
Take the advice Matt, keep learning the skills of a traditional window cleaner, but get yourself onboard with wfp

dai

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 09:42:29 pm »
Welcome Matt. I can only say take the above advice. Doing 2nd floor windows with a ladder is well dodgey. The wind strengh increases a lot between 1st and second floor windows, you only need one of those sneaky gusts to catch you off balance, and all the insurance in the world won't help you. I have been there and done it as have most of us on here. a fall from the first floor and you may be lucky to get away with a few broken bones, fall from the second and it could leave your loved ones with broken hearts. Please don't do it Matt, get yourself a water fed pole. DAI

master cleaner

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 11:18:27 pm »
£200 for a triple section ladder you could get a backpack for£175 and a cheap ro for about £70 then you could do the work faster, safer , and i assure you you will enjoy it more

gary

derek mckeon

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 10:15:39 am »
yes matt get yourself a back pack and a r o unit and ask on forum if anyone will sell you a 18 ft or a 24 ft pole there are some good people on forum hope this helps derek

Matt_Benton

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 01:49:42 pm »
Hi there,

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll scrap the triple idea and save up for a WFP system. I really don't know where to start researching though. Any ideas? Maybe previous posts or other websites...

Cheers, Matt

matt

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 06:45:15 pm »
if you decide to go down the WFP route AND YOU SHOULD ;)

e.mail me

you can build a very decent WFP system for 500 quid these days (550 if you just buy the pump box ready made)

e.mail me for the link to a DIY site

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 07:03:43 pm »
hhmmmm

you all know what i think about using ladders,

and ive been cleaning domestic,comercial,industrial,retail,blue-chip and airports for a longtime !!

although not now ::)

rgds,
stu
www.skypolesystems.com