Trolly for backpack
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:46:04 pm »
Just bought this, guess how much. £50 odd quid in screwfix.

Re: Trolly for backpack
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:53:43 pm »
Why did you buy a back pack?  I remember all the rigmarole you went through on deciding what WFP system you were going to get?

Also, I've got a similar sack truck, but for 20 quid from a local supplier. :D

But I am interested in why you've just bought a back pack.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:15:53 pm »
PS Tosh, I still have those rubbers, do you want them back?

Shove 'em up your ass!

;D

Mods...

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:27:15 pm »
I guess the donkey will be fine.

Seriously though, I bought a fold-up sack truck similar to yours for 20 quid from Mincost in Lydney.  I'm not sure if they do a postal service, but Screwfix's sack truck seems extremely overpriced.

As for those rubbers, I bought them from Screwfix too; and they were a load of rubbish, as you've no-doubt found.  And they were about 60 quids worth of rubbers too!

I don't think Screwfix is as good as their catalogues.

After the 'cheap rubber purchase', I only buy the top quality and expensive ones; and I've not had any problems.

I guess you only get what you pay for; mostly.

brett walker

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 09:17:17 pm »
I bought a trolley same as that from Aldi for 18 quid a while ago

trouble with Aldi is though they only have certain stock in for a limited amount of time, i also bought a submissible pump from there a few weeks ago for 20 quid ideal for transfering water from my water butt to my 25ltr containers in a matter of seconds

Brett

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 09:29:04 pm »
Sorry to get off topic, but look at the picture in the top right hand corner of Bears original post.

What is that girl doing?

brett walker

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 09:33:04 pm »
Sorry to get off topic, but look at the picture in the top right hand corner of Bears original post.

What is that girl doing?

shes saying if you pay 50 quid for the tolley you get me free ;)

Brett

dai

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 06:42:16 pm »
I have a backpack on a very light shopping trolley frame. Wheel it where I can, and carry it where I can't. Dai

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 06:52:33 pm »
I have a backpack on a very light shopping trolley frame. Wheel it where I can, and carry it where I can't. Dai

Dai,

For the past few months I've been pulling 25 litres of water behind me and just carrying the backpack, either in my hand, on one shoulder or both shoulders, and just topping up from the 25 litres when required.

I rarely carry the backpack more than half-full, because it's heavy and I don't want to get any manual handling injuries; the wimp I am.

I'm quite happy to top up at every decent sized house I clean with it, it takes seconds to top up, but usually I can clean two semis with a half full backpack. 

For larger properties, where I WFP everything, I will fill the backpack to the top and put it on the trolley.

I think the beauty of the backpack is that it gives you complete freedom to really go anywhere.  It gives you far more freedom than the Freedom Trolley!

You've just got to work out the best way to use it for any given situation.

dai

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 07:10:58 pm »
Tosh, you are right. I only use the backpack for stand alone jobs and I don't have many. Most of my work is done off my trolley system carrying 40 or 50 litres.
With the microbore hose and reel holding 30 metres I use it as a portable van mount. I leave the trolley at the front, and pull the hose off to do the back.
8 containers last me a day so I just change them when I come back to the van for a break. If I didn't use this I would be moving the van every couple of houses, with all the parking problems that go with it. It's great having really compact rounds on very compact estates. But with many houses owning 2 cars it can be a real pain parking, until they all get off to work. Dai

JohnL

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 09:03:35 pm »
Sorry to say this but I bought the exact same trolley in B&Q some months back for £18.00 - special offer.

I've made my system out of a backpack and another B&Q trolley - the garden trolley, again on offer for  a price of around £25.

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Extremeclean

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 11:23:49 pm »
The backpack is great for the odd window or two but I cant really see benefit of putting it on a trolley. Full it is too heavy to wear on the back all day and having to constantly take it off the back to refill is a real drawback.

When I started to convert al of my domestic to WFP I gave my guys backpacks but after feedback from them I changed to the Freedom trolley. They get on much better with the trolley. Carrying a backpack, pole and dragging a container on a trolley to refill the backpack seems to me to defeat the object. If you have to drag a container around you may as well have it on a trolley from which it can be used directly without heaving it off to refill a backpack.  I like the backpack. Its a great piece of kit which I have in my van mounted units for when you just cant get a hose to a window so I find it invaluable in its place.

Another thing that pleases the lads that do the domestic work is that they dont get called GHOSTBUSTERS by the others any more  :)

Rich.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 11:51:08 pm »
A back pack holds 18 litres of water and weighs around 22 kg full of water.

How much does a freedom with 25 litres of water weigh?  I'll tell you, it's around 50 kg; and that's the new 'lighter' version.

So, in essence the Freedom only carries 7 litres of water more than a back pack, yet is an extra 28 kg heavier!!!!!!!!  That's not a good statistic.

When pulling a Freedom Trolley, you've basically got the weight of a small bloke on a sack truck.

The weight to water ratio is rubbish.  I've a 50 litre system that weighs much less than the Freedom, when both are dry, and that 50 litre system is capable of having 30 meters of hose attached to it; unlike the Freedom.

I still prefer the backpack though.

Extremeclean

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 12:57:26 am »
The weight argument you use could be directed at almost all of the trolley systems on the market.  EG The Omnitrolley classic 50 ltr is 27 KG empty and the APS about the same I reckon. Both are good pieces of kit and very popular with their users. The Freedom is just under 20 KG empty and is very easy to lift and move around even when fully loaded because of the the way it is designed. You also dont have to refill it. Unlike the backpack which most people refill from 25ltr conainers anyway so you still have to lift the container and also hold it while it glugs the water out.

I did a lot of research into the various trolley options before parting with my hard earned to replace the back packs and the Freedom won hands down for me. I employ so also have H&S concerns to consider and again the Freedom met all my criteria. My domestic guys all have tanks on board for the properties where using a hose is quicker and use the Freedom to work reels each with 100 metres of minibore.

For some the back pack may be the best bet but not for me. To rubbish the Freedom is wholly unjustified. Carrying 25 kilos on your back whilst using the backpack with a water fed pole is a H&S claim for injury waiting to happen for any employer. The backpack is designed for use with a very lightweight spray wand. I took advice as I always do regarding H&S when I purchased the back packs and never let them be worn on the back whilst in use with a pole attached.

I have no preference or bias regarding any equipment I use but for my business the freedom has been an excellent investment.

JohnL

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 07:36:51 am »
Freedom of speech is one thing Tosh but your constant attacks on the Freedom Trolley are getting an obsession, your own personal crusade and are really boring and unneccessary.

Its about time your mod friend told you to clean up!

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 08:39:29 am »
Carrying 25 kilos on your back whilst using the backpack with a water fed pole is a H&S claim for injury waiting to happen for any employer.

I agree, which is why many lads put them on a sack truck!

I'll only ever carry mine with about 12 kg of water in it, and then before using the pole, I'll put it down on the ground.

As I say, you've just to work out the best way to use it.

brett walker

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 11:47:29 am »
Perhaps they should call it the freedom backpack, i started out with the backpack found it very good but a pain to fill up.
It is very good to get in areas where you cant get the trolley, trolleys backpacks and van mounts all have advantages and disadvantages.  I now use the freedom trolley it is very suitable for all my work and i just have to pop the 25ltr containers on top of it and theres no filling up, also it has a pole holder with the backpack i found pulling it plus holding your pole and bucket a bit awkward when working alone.

Whatever is affordable and suitable for your work

WHERES ANDREW MC CANN GONE ? ???

Brett

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 12:52:48 pm »

WHERES ANDREW MC CANN GONE ? ???

Brett

Hi brett.

I am still around but very busy indeed.  We are in the process of buying new premises because we are just too cramped here to take on any more staff to increase production.

We are bringing on stream additional products as well which all takes time up in the background work that has to be done to get the right products at the right price. It's all coming together slowly but will be well worth it. We will very shortly be offering some fantastic deals on a number of products that we all use to some extent.

At the end of the day quality of life is what we all work for and although I do pop in regularly to the forum during working hours now when I go home I switch off and forget about work as much as possible until the next day.

Cheers

Andrew

JohnL

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 04:54:49 pm »
Good to see you around Andrew