windowashing

Re: SLX Review
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 06:27:22 pm »

I havent found that the clamps need adjusting that often. However, when they do need adjusting it doesnt bother me at all, it only takes 2 secs and doesnt require tools or a trip to the van. Be honest it is a high class problem isnt it  ;D

High class problem indeed.
Once you stop throwing up over your shoes everything else is a high class problem.  No tool needed to adjust?  It sounds like you have later clamps than I.  I need to use an allen key.

Don't feed the troll leapstall!

Is that necessary? I have reported my experiences, nothing else.

I thought it was a tad harsh too.  I assumed it was a bit of humour on winndowashing's part.
Sorry mis-read the post.. thought it was going to go a different direction!  :-X

Sorry to hijack post.  :-\

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 06:30:04 pm »
sorry to change subject slightly , but  is it possible to get the pole fitted with the streamline lite -5 pole hose as i find the clear pvc hose terrible used hose in my current pole and have had far less problems with kinking and knotting over the past year

It is possible, yes.

williamx

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 06:47:43 pm »
This is what I was toying with. The trouble I can see is one of strength as these would very easily get knocked about in use.

You could try one that goes across the whole of the collar, and is at least 10mm by 10mm.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 07:20:56 pm »
I think it would be a minority who would wish an external hose. Too much bulk with clamps & extra hassle extending/retracting, holding the pole & removing sections etc. Defeats the object IMO when a quick wipe with a rag is all that's needed.

My slx (MKI) is still going great & is used every day, it's got original clamps on too.

traps7

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 07:36:25 pm »
I'm now starting to get black hands from large smooth areas on my 25' mk3 and I don't want to wear gloves. I was gonna try some swarfega.

The clamp adjustment and broken barrel nuts are a problem but are soon to be rectified.

I'm a bit worried with the winter coming that the ground will often be wet which I'm thinking will attach more grit to the hose.

You cant wipe it on every retraction, it would be a right pain. It really does go stiff with a bit of grit because the sections are such a close fit.

Saying all that i would still buy it again.

ftp

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 08:03:27 pm »
Alex, any chance of making the levers stronger?
Not to clamp any tighter but so that they don't snap when they get a slight clobber.  :-[

trevor perry

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 09:32:07 pm »
i really like slx poles and have three of them but the latest clamp has definately been a backward step and i think they need totally re doing the faults are

1 not enough adjustment in clamp to allow for wear
2 levers are very flimsy and break easy
3 the barrel nuts are next thing to useless

although i have listed the faults above one thing i cant fault is the after service alex has provided in dealing with the issues, he has sent new barrel nuts and levers that have arrived next day without charge and is already working on sending everybody some other improvement to the clamp, i think where he went wrong was the demand for his new pole was so great it made him rush it out a bit soon before giving it the proper tests it required.
 finally i would like to say that even with the faults listed above they are still the best poles i have used and would still recomend them.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 10:52:58 pm »
The hose that goes to the jets on the brushes needs to be just a little bit longer.

As either a quick fix for a broken cam, or an alternative simpler and possibly superior design, put a metal nut on the end of the bolt and a plastic wheel over this.Then there are serrated plastic wheels to turn either side. Works well and less to catch and knock. Pics if unsure what i mean.If the wheels were slightly larger it would be better.

windowswashed

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 09:22:30 pm »
I prefer the old style (straight) super lite flocked brush to the new (splayed version) simply because it tickles the spiders into submission, who then do death defying Kamikaze style jumps from the top corners of the window frames, whilst busily spinning a web to parachute safely to the ground to survive and crawl back up to the same blooming home they started out from. ;D

traps7

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 10:10:37 pm »
I prefer the old style (straight) super lite flocked brush to the new (splayed version) simply because it tickles the spiders into submission, who then do death defying Kamikaze style jumps from the top corners of the window frames, whilst busily spinning a web to parachute safely to the ground to survive and crawl back up to the same blooming home they started out from. ;D

LOL

neil100

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 02:14:04 pm »
I used my new 18' and 35' slx for the first time yesterday.I new within 10 mins that the clamps are the poles downfall.

I clean mainly domestic propertys so I continuelly have to adjust the pole up and down,I have been useing x-tel & Hx-tel poles this last year. The clamps are so far ahead of anything I have used that if the slx had these clamps it would be the perfect pole. The x-tel with correct adjustment on the clamps allow the pole sections to glide up and down even from new. This is due to how the clamp as been designed in 4 sections around the pole which allows it movement from gripping the pole when the handle is locked and then allowing the pole to slide when the handle is open as the plastic moves fractinally away from the pole.

The slx clamp grips the the poles around the full circumfrance of the pole with miniscule  movement of the clamp when the lever is in the open position. This causes friction between the pole sections and clamp leading to an unecessary increase in wear & tear. The effort of wasted energy in pulling the pole sections up and down all day is such a shame for a fantastic pole.For me I find an 18' carbon pole is worth the extra dosh if the clamps can be improved.

To be told that the poles will get easier to use in time means only one thing. The pole as worn down due to friction,so every time I use It it feels I am wearing the pole down just to get it moving more freely.

So Alex use the design of the xtel clamp,the part that grips the pole and use your lever so combine the best of both.

Neil

traps7

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 03:36:00 pm »
I'm sure Alex said that would make the pole longer collapsed though.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 03:38:21 pm »
I used my new 18' and 35' slx for the first time yesterday.I new within 10 mins that the clamps are the poles downfall.

I clean mainly domestic propertys so I continuelly have to adjust the pole up and down,I have been useing x-tel & Hx-tel poles this last year. The clamps are so far ahead of anything I have used that if the slx had these clamps it would be the perfect pole. The x-tel with correct adjustment on the clamps allow the pole sections to glide up and down even from new. This is due to how the clamp as been designed in 4 sections around the pole which allows it movement from gripping the pole when the handle is locked and then allowing the pole to slide when the handle is open as the plastic moves fractinally away from the pole.

The slx clamp grips the the poles around the full circumfrance of the pole with miniscule  movement of the clamp when the lever is in the open position. This causes friction between the pole sections and clamp leading to an unecessary increase in wear & tear. The effort of wasted energy in pulling the pole sections up and down all day is such a shame for a fantastic pole.For me I find an 18' carbon pole is worth the extra dosh if the clamps can be improved.

To be told that the poles will get easier to use in time means only one thing. The pole as worn down due to friction,so every time I use It it feels I am wearing the pole down just to get it moving more freely.

So Alex use the design of the xtel clamp,the part that grips the pole and use your lever so combine the best of both.

Neil

Drop me an email with your phone number alex@agardiner.co.uk

Steve CM

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 05:29:17 pm »
if its any consilation to anyone one of my new harris poles snapped after 4 weeks use....I'm gutted! ;D ;D

concept

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 05:39:52 pm »
its funny you posted that, i used a harris for the first time in 3 months today, after my bentley collar disaster first time round, and i have to say, awesome! got 3/4's of my houses done with it, and it's effortless.

if only someone could make a 7/8m version of the harris...

Steve CM

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 06:16:08 pm »
its funny you posted that, i used a harris for the first time in 3 months today, after my bentley collar disaster first time round, and i have to say, awesome! got 3/4's of my houses done with it, and it's effortless.

if only someone could make a 7/8m version of the harris...

wern't you suppose to be buying me a beer last week? 8)

concept

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 06:19:30 pm »
didnt get finished in time to catch you before your half day  ;)

will surprise you soon  8)

Steve CM

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 06:53:45 pm »
i'm normally around till about 5pm but i do fly in and out all day 8)

Skyglide

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 07:57:22 pm »
I agree with Neil 100.
My 18' SLX is only weeks old, showing alarming signs of wear and the nut and bolt clamps are not 'finger tip' adjustable. The nuts don't bite and hold and the carbon pole wears quickly.
I might add I do look after the pole  and use it for 95% of my work - full week mon-fri 9 -5 non stop.
Lightness and rigidity are good, but I can't see the pole lasting long. Sorry to say this as I have a high regard for Gardinerpolesystems in general.

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 08:04:52 pm »
I'm hoping my new and improved nuts and levers are comig soon, cos even the 6 pack of replacements they very kindly sent me are running out fast  :-[