williamx

SLX Review
« on: September 27, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »
I have been using this pole for the last 2 months and I thought I would give you my un-biased views and maybe improvements that can be made.

I already have the 60' SL2 which I use on higher commercial properties, in fact I have reached the dizzy heights of 84' and I am looking for that 100' building.

In the past I have used either Unger or Excel Poles for work upto 21', then the SL2 takes over.

Anyway after a long wait I ordered the SLX 25.

This pole is great for reaching any window on most domestic window cleaners books and is of for most low level commercial work.

The weight is ok, but the SL2 is a lot lighter and stiffer.

The clamps are rubbish, they are too fragile and need to be adjusted all the time. ( I do believe that a new clamp is coming to market soon).

The other major problem is that the pole hose gets dirty and transmits this to the inside of the pole, this them causes the pole to jam.

A solution to this problem would be for the pole hose to attached to the outside of the pole, and the way this can be done is either the pole clamp is modified or an eyelet is glued onto the clamp.

The other major bug bearer is the carbon fibre residue that come off the pole, maybe the pole could be treated with a sealent to prevent this.

You will also need to put on 'o' clips into the jets on the brushhead because these to seen to come off after time.

Overall this is a good pole but I personally feel that it can be improved.

ftp

Re: SLX Review
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 07:38:52 pm »
I had some Loctite left over from the original clamps and use a drop on the latest clamps with plastic barrel nuts. Never need to adjust them now.

I like the idea of an eyelet on the outside - bit like the eyes on a conventional fishing rod. They would have to be super strong though but it would prevent the dirt on the inside of the pole.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:34:06 pm »
Agree that incremental improvements could be made but there ssems to be resistance to our suggestions.

It's still a better pole and cheaper than anything else though

Yours is what i would call informed critisism, and it's about where i stand myself.The problem with this forum is that people twist what you say, and the criticism, often from people who haven't even got one, gets harsher. I wouldn't want anything i said to affect sales because i find it a big advance and believe that on balance so will most others.

ian1972

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:01:52 pm »
it is a great pole but yes those clamps need constant adjusting a pian in the but

ftp

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 10:22:31 pm »
When you lift the lever the bolt rotates a little every time untill eventually you get caught out. Well, that's what mine did. Tiny drop of loctite has stopped this for me.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 10:47:14 pm »
agree with slumpbuster, you have criticized the faults you have found, but then you have offered suggestions to rectify these. good illustration for others of how it should be done ;)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:16:00 am »
Agree that incremental improvements could be made but there ssems to be resistance to our suggestions.

Yours is what i would call informed critisism, and it's about where i stand myself.The problem with this forum is that people twist what you say, and the criticism, often from people who haven't even got one, gets harsher. I wouldn't want anything i said to affect sales because i find it a big advance and believe that on balance so will most others.

I agree that constant improvement should be considered for any product if possible. We should be having the 'evolution' levers/nuts/bolt assemblies arriving this week. These are being sent out automatically to all owners of the SL-X. These will address the issue of constant adjustment that some are having to make (better lock nut facility). They will also prevent over-adjustment and will feature stronger barrel nuts.

With regard to the external pole hose idea, this would greatly reduce, if not eliminate, pole wear on almost any pole. I had thought about a similar idea of hoops to hold the hose in situation.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 08:48:52 am »
Mine collects dust if left in the van over the weekend, cant you do anything about THAT please Alex!

FWIW I like it, no moaning here. Its a fabulous piece of kit, very little flex, light, very easy to work with, so the clamps need adjusting! AND?

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:10:20 am »
Mine collects dust if left in the van over the weekend, cant you do anything about THAT please Alex!

FWIW I like it, no moaning here. Its a fabulous piece of kit, very little flex, light, very easy to work with, so the clamps need adjusting! AND?

It's not the fact of needing to adjust clamps.  It's because it needs doing very frequently - on occasion twice in a day.  Not a complaint.  It's a lovely piece of kit.  I would like some quality clamps retro fitted though.  I've held back from this until the feedback has been more positive and it sounds like Alex is just about there now.  In fact, retro fitting the clamps and possibly replacing the no 1 section could give me a virtually new pole - from a functionality perspective rather than an aesthetic one.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 09:34:48 am »
I havent found that the clamps need adjusting that often. However, when they do need adjusting it doesnt bother me at all, it only takes 2 secs and doesnt require tools or a trip to the van. Be honest it is a high class problem isnt it  ;D

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 09:52:39 am »
I havent found that the clamps need adjusting that often. However, when they do need adjusting it doesnt bother me at all, it only takes 2 secs and doesnt require tools or a trip to the van. Be honest it is a high class problem isnt it  ;D

High class problem indeed.
Once you stop throwing up over your shoes everything else is a high class problem.  No tool needed to adjust?  It sounds like you have later clamps than I.  I need to use an allen key.

HIGH LEVEL WINDOW CLEANERS (scrimmy)

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 10:11:56 am »
not sure if you can do this with the slx, but why not leave the clamps open and use some stronger hose and use it as a clampless pole?

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 11:30:02 am »

Once you stop throwing up over your shoes everything else is a high class problem.  No tool needed to adjust?  It sounds like you have later clamps than I.  I need to use an allen key.

It does sound that way. No allen key needed here.

Think we're singing from different hymn sheets.  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 02:36:57 pm »
I think the original SLX needed allen keys
Then the one I bought in March came with aluminium quick-release type efforts.
Then three weeks ago Alex sent me the clamp upgrade kit which I used to replace the top three clamps and the new ones are faultless - less wear, more grip and really light to use.
It's a game of three halves!

pingu

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 02:53:06 pm »
I think that most people have experainced a few niggles with the SL-X mk3 but it is far too early to make any real judgement whether this pole can 'last'.

As for clamp adjustments...I see this as part of my morning routine each day - Reason> have had 2x levers/nut fall off on one particular day.

At the end of each week the pole is broken down and completely washed out and then given a very light coat of teflon spray...this is also done if feel the pole is getting 'clogged' during the week.

Each time the pole hose is wound up it passes through a rag to remove debris.

I love the lightness and flexibility..and I hope that it lasts...alas I can already see large area's of the ribbed carbon has worn away...now starting to get black hands again.

Cheers
Dave.

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 03:47:10 pm »

Don't feed the troll leapstall!

Is that necessary? I have reported my experiences, nothing else.

williamx

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 04:09:07 pm »

I agree that constant improvement should be considered for any product if possible. We should be having the 'evolution' levers/nuts/bolt assemblies arriving this week. These are being sent out automatically to all owners of the SL-X. These will address the issue of constant adjustment that some are having to make (better lock nut facility). They will also prevent over-adjustment and will feature stronger barrel nuts.

With regard to the external pole hose idea, this would greatly reduce, if not eliminate, pole wear on almost any pole. I had thought about a similar idea of hoops to hold the hose in situation.

Alex

Have you thought about having the eyelet moulded on the back of the coller that goes on the pole.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 04:54:41 pm »
This is what I was toying with. The trouble I can see is one of strength as these would very easily get knocked about in use.

Mike #1

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 06:01:17 pm »
sorry to change subject slightly , but  is it possible to get the pole fitted with the streamline lite -5 pole hose as i find the clear pvc hose terrible used hose in my current pole and have had far less problems with kinking and knotting over the past year

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 06:13:19 pm »

Don't feed the troll leapstall!

Is that necessary? I have reported my experiences, nothing else.

I thought it was a tad harsh too.  I assumed it was a bit of humour on winndowashing's part.