groundhog

Gutters with mesh over them!!
« on: May 29, 2008, 06:39:07 pm »
I priced up a huge guttering job some time ago, I've just been told that I have got the job! Which is good but when I originally priced it I didn't realise that there was a plastic mesh over the guttering, I originally intended on hiring a gutter vac, but I don't think this will be any good, unless I go around removing all of the mesh first!! :-\ Not something I really want to do as there is over 300mtres of gutter!!!
Someone has sugested using drain rods to push it all through and a high pressure hose to clean the mesh, anyone tried this? or any other ideas would be appreciated.  ???

pdale

Re: Gutters with mesh over them!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 06:43:12 pm »
It will be a bad one if there's trees around. The mesh gets full of twigs and leaves. I've learnt from experience myself!
Paul
Where am I knocking today?

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:45:28 pm »
How did you clean them mate, there are trees about, I'm worried about what I've let myself in for!!!!! :-\

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:49:08 pm »
here is what i think

pressure washer and lance, blast it out, messy but effective, very quick aswell,

you will spend some time clearing up though, can you get a lad to help you do it? give him £80 to sweep up etc

pdale

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 06:54:17 pm »
The job i did was nowhere near as big as yours. The mesh was detachable, so i had to remove it. I also suggested to the customer not to put it back on as the twigs made the gutters worse by blocking any dirt flowing. This had the desired effect so i didn't have to put it back on.
I then just got my hands dirty with a small trowel, cus it was chocca.
Paul
Where am I knocking today?

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:04:57 pm »
i had a job yesterday large house and it had all the plastic mesh in it, i was using a ladder, but got my pole and twisted the brush so it was straight as the pole, then used that horizontally to clean it out. Put the mesh back afterwards as i went along. Not nice using the ladders! they get top heavy with the standoff / mess bucket up the top and with the stabiliser strapped to the bottom.

the majority of the stuff you can blast out, especially with a pressure washer, i had my hose up the top and used that to blast stuff along and rinse down with varistream up a bit.

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:43:42 pm »
groundhog

how high is it

jerry

Skyglide

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:17:55 pm »
Stick to cleaning windows - lots of them - keep all your kit clean. Good profits.
Pressure washing is a mess everywhere, customers don't like it.  By hand is the most effective way.
We have one of our staff who will do these jobs (trad for 10 years), other than that we don't touch gutter work - windows only.
Chris

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 09:32:49 pm »
but I don't think this will be any good, unless I go around removing all of the mesh first!! :-\ Not something I really want to do as there is over 300mtres of gutter!!!

Don't take this personally but....TOUGH
Take it from me you can't clean gutters out with this stuff in place so it will have to come out.
And why didn't you get up there at quote stage and see what you were up against?

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 09:39:29 pm »
You can normally tell if there is guttering mesh with the tell tale clips poking out of the guttering with short spaced intervals.
I always asks any customers if they have the guttering mesh, if they have, I normally decline the jobs as it means pressure washing the dirt out and making a mess everywhere or getting the ladder up there and it's time consuming doing it all by hand or using drainage rods.

groundhog

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:29:07 pm »

Don't take this personally but....TOUGH
Take it from me you can't clean gutters out with this stuff in place so it will have to come out.
And why didn't you get up there at quote stage and see what you were up against?

Oooer Mrs :-* whats rattled your cage?

Don't worry, I will still do ok out of it, seeing as its priced at over £1400!!

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:52:01 am »
Nearly off topic Graham  ::)

Am I the first one to create an add on for his Harris pole? ? ? ? ? ?

Tonight I was in the workshop converting my other Harris pole, I finished that and remembered I wanted a gutter hook, I had looked on the net but couldn't find one at a reasonable price to suit my needs.

I used an old Unger pole that fitted the end of the Harris pole, hammered banged and cut it up on my bandsaw until I had a hook shaped spoon.

I stuck it on the end of My Harris Pole and cleaned the rear of my guttering out in less then five minutes, I have never in all my years cleaned out guttering this fast before.

Just another tool in my Box for my guttering work.

groundhog

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 01:21:04 am »

Tonight I was in the workshop converting my other Harris pole, I finished that and remembered I wanted a gutter hook, I had looked on the net but couldn't find one at a reasonable price to suit my needs.

I used an old Unger pole that fitted the end of the Harris pole, hammered banged and cut it up on my bandsaw until I had a hook shaped spoon.

I stuck it on the end of My Harris Pole and cleaned the rear of my guttering out in less then five minutes, I have never in all my years cleaned out guttering this fast before.

Any chance of a photo Jeff? that sounds interesting!!

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 01:26:21 am »

Any chance of a photo Jeff? that sounds interesting!!
I'll put one up tomorrow and I'll get someone to take a picky of me using it on the harris pole.

groundhog

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 01:36:32 am »
Cheers mate!!  :)

jeff1

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 01:31:46 pm »
Well, its not pro looking but boy does it work, This is my protor type, I will be making a much more pro looking one if field tests are successful, preliminary tests are running great.
The hook

Just pushes onto the Harris Pole.

Closer View

In Action on my Workshop Guttering

This one is doing my house guttering out the back

The spoon shape picks up the muck

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 09:02:18 pm »
But how do you get that sloppy silt-like red tile gunge out?

groundhog

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 09:28:26 pm »
Wow that looks great Jeff!! I'm definetley going to give that one a go!!

Anyway the panic is over, I went back up to have another look at the gutter cleaning job that I have, and the mesh is only on a very small section of gutter, the rest haven't got it!! :) They are however very blocked with pine needles mainly :(
So it looks like a may be hiring out a gutter vac after all!! ;D
Unless anyone else wants to lend me one for a competitive price!!! ;)

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 09:43:13 pm »
What? Like this?

*Mr Tumble

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 09:45:12 pm »
Or this?