Sanity

Re: Professional Window cleaner Magazine rival publication
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 08:00:23 pm »
I think this is a good idea. Any mag has to have some bias, but if you left  the content fairly open then the criteria could be what is of interest, or expressed in a colourfull way. Would I be allowed to write an article about buying one of my franchises?

I'm not having a lot of luck on here and now vince has outed me i'm going to have to come up with some new ideas for conning people >:(

I think an emag would be good and easier to produce. As always the income stream is a problem.

Just read sanitys post so 10k of mags would cost 5k, so would need £5k per issue.

No problem about articles.  Write 'em and they shall read :D  If they delv too much into the realms of advertisement though, advert rates may have to be applied (to maintin as little bias as possible), so any article should be as neutral as possible (a job for the copywriter) in relation to mentioning particular companies, unless it is specifically relevant to the article.  for example, your article would have to be about the advantages of franchising but without showing a bias to any particular company

Do you really think we would need 10k copies?  I don't think we would need that many, maybe 1k to start with and increase publication from there.

As for an e-zine...while they are definately easier to produce, I personally like the idea of being able to keep the magazines in binders etc.  Nothing like a bit of 'dead' media :)

Lets say we produce 1000 copies and they all sell ( at a nminal charge of £1 per copy.)  This easily covers the costs for the printing and distrobution of the magazine.  The advertising (at maybe £100 per quater page?  I dunno current rates so I would have to investigate this...) would have to cover the costs for the people producing / editing the magazine.  And if it is a quaterly publication, this could be a simple part-time wage.

I don't have a particularly big round, and I have plenty of spare time so I would be glad to help with this project part time.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 08:00:57 pm »
WCE

I will donate £50 to help get it running

Dave

jeff1

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 08:01:13 pm »
One thing I forgot to ask is does anyone have any suggestions as to what my mag could be called?

The True Window Cleaners Mag

I'm all for an un-biased w/c mag, but please remember the time that will be eaten up by you producing it will be very large, don't let it affect your means of making a living.

If the mag does take off, let me know and we will give you plenty of advertising on the T/A forum
I understand the time factor has got to be taken into account but thats partly why I would limit the issues per year. By the way I applied to your forum but haven"t heard nothing back!
[quote ]
Just checked and all you have to do now is log in with your name and password

jeff1

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 08:04:02 pm »
Why not produce it as an E-Mag, this will do away with printing and postage costs?

NWH

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 08:05:09 pm »
The cost to produce the mag would be covered if you had enough customers of course,your money would be made with selling advertising space as it is with all magazines.

WCE

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 08:07:20 pm »
Thanks for sorting that out jeff, With regards to the emag did consider an ezine but thought about it and decided that a magazine would be better because 1. You can take your mag to work and read it lunch times 2. Not everyone has the technical ability to download ezines and some may not even have access to a computer. 3. Hopefully suppliers could be persuaded to stock it.  Some one starting out may not search online for a mag about window cleaning but the chances are they will visit a cleaning equipment supplier eg express.
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

Sanity

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 08:09:32 pm »
Check these guys out for quote on printing...

mixam

As for an e-zine / E-Mag.  I dunno whether this would work, unless there was a kind of 'paypal' payment scheme with a buy-it-now type thing (dunno much about e-payment)

Maybe subscription?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 08:19:14 pm »
Why do I not get these mags anymore?? Anyone want to send me their copy when they've finished it? Don't understand why I don't get it anymore.
Order there catalouge and you will get there mag.

Who? The Ionics catalogue?

jeff1

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 08:35:21 pm »
Why do I not get these mags anymore?? Anyone want to send me their copy when they've finished it? Don't understand why I don't get it anymore.
Order there catalouge and you will get there mag.

Who? The Ionics catalogue?
Yes!

TennetClean

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 08:42:29 pm »
£1 for an 8 page booklet, lol who is going to pay that.

Lol, no offense guys but I think you need to think it through.  remember you'll have to be spending 27p each to mail it. 

Put me down for one though, as you know i love cobbled together stuff.
My friends call me Tuppence Clean

WCE

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 08:42:39 pm »
Mixam is one of the companies i got a quote off (the cheapest so far!)

Sanity

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2008, 08:48:37 pm »
TennetClean, the 8-page thing was just an example of a price for printing, not a definative specification for the magazine, but thanx for your input.

I would imagine that the magazine will ave a pagecount dependant upon the number of articles and adverts the magazine getsd submitted.  Although there will obviously need to be a cutoff point and a theme for each issue, for which articles will have to be requested.

How big do people think it should be?  20 pages?  26?  (in covers)

Ideas please so I can play with layout ideas (I love Adobe InDesign and QuarkExpress :)  ) :)

WCE

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2008, 08:49:19 pm »
Tennet clean. I dont recall ever saying the publication would be 8 pages I plan it to be 3 times that and also the mag will prob. cost more than £1.00 (more like £2.00 per issue. Sanity was just using them as an example. I dont mind you commenting but make sure you've got your facts straight!!! The Interest is so high in this mag that all the emails just crashed my computer!
By the way Dave st ives, Thanks for the offer i will be in touch soon!

Sanity

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2008, 08:53:03 pm »
WCE, looks like we are on the same wavelength ;)

Anyhow, Ill have a mess about with InDesign and if you want help, let me know :)

Keep the ideas coming people :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2008, 08:54:15 pm »
One thing I forgot to ask is does anyone have any suggestions as to what my mag could be called?

How about
"The Iconic".
Watch those writs start flying for using a similar word   :)

Or how about "The Water Babies"?

"Partners in Grime"

"Lord of the Rungs"

matt

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2008, 08:54:51 pm »
Tennet clean. I dont recall ever saying the publication would be 8 pages I plan it to be 3 times that and also the mag will prob. cost more than £1.00 (more like £2.00 per issue. Sanity was just using them as an example. I dont mind you commenting but make sure you've got your facts straight!!! The Interest is so high in this mag that all the emails just crashed my computer!
By the way Dave st ives, Thanks for the offer i will be in touch soon!

its ok, Tuppence Clean loves to make no constructive comments

keep at it guys

WCE

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2008, 09:01:15 pm »
Sanity (Andy) I have sent you an email did you get it?

jouk45

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2008, 09:03:19 pm »
this is the mag of the future www.flashpageflip.com/demos/free/

WCE

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »
£1 for an 8 page booklet, lol who is going to pay that.

Lol, no offense guys but I think you need to think it through.  remember you'll have to be spending 27p each to mail it. 

Put me down for one though, as you know i love cobbled together stuff.
Anyway tennet clean, whatever price we charge if you wanna save money on the cost why not join the master guild of window cleaners you were so nice about! Seriously Guild members will receive a discount on the cover price.   

WCE

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2008, 09:11:33 pm »
this is the mag of the future www.flashpageflip.com/demos/free/
[/quote
Maybe but this is a magazine for now not the future! When we get to the stage where we have to move over to that format , we will