matt

Re: Professional Window cleaner Magazine rival publication
« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2008, 05:00:35 pm »
i would gladly do reviews of stuff for the mag

if its good i will say so
if its poo, then i will let people know

if some1 sends me a " sweetener" thanks, but if you product is crap, its crap  ;) ;)

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2008, 05:02:09 pm »
Sorry I was in a bit of a rush and missed a bit.  

So in the situation above, my new pole has been reviewed, and the review has not been favorable,  Now there is nothing wrong with the product, the reviewer just didn't know how to use it, what would you do in this situation?  An apology wouldn't do me any good.  Who is going to compensate for the loss of sales?  And what part of the product would I fix to improve it?

Peter

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2008, 05:21:19 pm »
Dont over estimate the power of forums for drumming up business.

Forums are only a minute proportion of the window cleaning world.

You would be lucky to get more than 20 paying subscribers from them

« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2008, 07:52:52 pm »
If you are refering that to me dave (subscriptions) i had in mind that the forum would be one selling point of the mag and not it's reader base because it would enjoy a wider readership than just us if it went the synergy route, and the advetisers would be the likes of Molly Maid etc .

The forum, mag, and directory would mutually support each other, with the forum being a good litmus paper and content provider.

What chance have we got though, reveiwers already hinting at sweetners, editors getting in fractious debates with suppliers, and tempermental back room staff- all before even a word has been written!

matt

« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2008, 08:50:57 pm »

What chance have we got though, reveiwers already hinting at sweetners

i guess this was me

me point being, you need some1 who will not be swayed by " sweeteners" , you only have to look on the forums to see the people who have been given stuff ( or stuff really cheap ) and then will not shut up how good certain suppliers are ( they then become fanboys ) thats not a dig at any1, but it does happen

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2008, 09:09:49 pm »
I wish Tucker & Ionics would give me sweeteners. I've paid full price everytime even though I plug certain products all the time, lol

« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2008, 09:18:33 pm »
I was joking about you hinting at sweetners, You would make a very good reviewer, but I wouldn't allow you to descrfibe anything as crap. I would red pen your stuff so that you offended no one.

Where suppliers kit was mentioned they would read the copy beforehand and give the okay. In some cases the suppliers would supply the copy.

Say for example you did an interview with Craig. I  would give him final sign off.

This is not likely to happen but it could work.

WCE

« Reply #207 on: May 01, 2008, 09:30:04 am »
I was joking about you hinting at sweetners, You would make a very good reviewer, but I wouldn't allow you to descrfibe anything as crap. I would red pen your stuff so that you offended no one.

Where suppliers kit was mentioned they would read the copy beforehand and give the okay. In some cases the suppliers would supply the copy.

Say for example you did an interview with Craig. I  would give him final sign off.

This is not likely to happen but it could work.
What a load of rubbish, Suppliers read and approve the copy? Supply the copy themselves? That would make for a balanced independent read wouldn't it.  I feel that you don't really understand the concept of our mag or you wouldn't come up with suggestions that compromise the whole idea of an independent magazine for window cleaners IE - join forces with spick & span and CIU or letting suppliers write their own reviews I mean that is just crazy! I did think you had made some interesting comments until you said this but now you've proved you don't know what your talking about. If you did you wouldn't of made such a silly comment as the one about suppliers. The only part you are right about there is the bit where you say it is not likely to happen - Correct. We will not let suppliers write their own reviews. Never!     
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

« Reply #208 on: May 01, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »
They are going to just love working with you.

How did you think these things work?

If you want to fill the mag with interesting stuff you have to meet people half way. A hatchet job from an unqaulified but opinionated non NUJ writer is not something lots of people are going to queue up for.

matt

« Reply #209 on: May 01, 2008, 02:17:59 pm »
They are going to just love working with you.

How did you think these things work?

If you want to fill the mag with interesting stuff you have to meet people half way. A hatchet job from an unqaulified but opinionated non NUJ writer is not something lots of people are going to queue up for.

ha ha , now we have you talking about my chopper  :o :o :o i allways thought something was a little "strange" about you  :P :P :P

« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2008, 03:31:52 pm »
You are projecting Matt, but there is nothing wrong with a sense of humour, being able to laugh at oneself or general good humour. In fact as an editorial tone most people prefer it.

Matt editor of diywaterfed pole website as a contributor  you could.  'add interest and value'  of course.
Nearly forget. I've made another new invention- it auto collects the loose pole hose and stops you triping over it when you have the pole closed- it works in a similar way to how a vacuum cleaner collects electrical flex and is fixed by the tap.It's pretty good as a matter of fact. I was thinking I could flogg a few in the new magazine?

matt

« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2008, 07:11:02 pm »
You are projecting Matt, but there is nothing wrong with a sense of humour, being able to laugh at oneself or general good humour. In fact as an editorial tone most people prefer it.

Matt editor of diywaterfed pole website as a contributor  you could.  'add interest and value'  of course.
Nearly forget. I've made another new invention- it auto collects the loose pole hose and stops you triping over it when you have the pole closed- it works in a similar way to how a vacuum cleaner collects electrical flex and is fixed by the tap.It's pretty good as a matter of fact. I was thinking I could flogg a few in the new magazine?

why thank you :)

ive said it before, get over on the DIY site and share your idea's and what you have done

WCE

« Reply #212 on: October 19, 2008, 04:08:23 pm »
There you go Discount, to save you having to look for it the whole story regarding the lost advertiser is here.

Tosh

« Reply #213 on: October 19, 2008, 04:28:35 pm »
Dont over estimate the power of forums for drumming up business.

Forums are only a minute proportion of the window cleaning world.

You would be lucky to get more than 20 paying subscribers from them

You reckon?  I think the Freedom Trolley did well out of this forum; even though I think it's a bag of nails.

WCE

« Reply #214 on: October 19, 2008, 04:32:52 pm »
Don't worry about Dave's comment Tosh he is wrong. I have a waiting list of more than 20 people who are waiting to subscribe to the Mag! I think you cannot underestimate the power of forums.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #215 on: October 19, 2008, 07:22:28 pm »
Tosh

maybe the Trolley did well, but a lot dont, why do you think hardly any suppliers come here to promote there products anymore, Ionics, Brodex, concept20, windex, scrim city, and just about everyone else have all given up posting here, instead they market there goods in a way that is a lot more productive.

1 or 2 might make a few sales because of this site namely Alex and Andrew, but for the rest it is just too much hard work.

As for the 20 subscribers, a bird in the hand and all that.

WCE

« Reply #216 on: October 19, 2008, 07:42:47 pm »
A fair point Dave, There are a lot of companies that don't come on here but there are also still loads that do. Have a look around the posts over a period of a few weeks and you'd be surprised how many suppliers do promote their wares on the various forums. I would under estimate the positive or negative effect on a business that a forum can have.