WCE

Re: Professional Window cleaner Magazine
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 06:28:47 pm »
Quote from: matt link=topic=54077.msg456375#msg456375
its a good idea, its also the same idea that philip hanson had a few years back, great in theory
[quote
Matt, yes he may of had the same idea but what went wrong and how did Ionics come to take it over? Judging by my inbox the interest is there and people really do want an unbiased magazine. I would be interested to know what went wrong with the original plan as I don't want to make the same mistakes.
Just had a browse through the latest PWC and it looks very good. I will certainly spend some time reading it in great detail.

However I really think that Philip Hanson now needs to be up front about the fact that all this is is an Ionic's advertising brochure. The only other firm advertising is surprise, surprise Pure20 and the picture of their website clearly shows exactly the same model wearing the same clothes as an earlier advert in the mag promoting the Ionics roadshow  ;)

Yes Alex it does look good and I want to produce a magazine that looks at least as good if not better but without the whole thing being one big advert for a particular company. There will be no ties to any company although they will be welcome to submit new products for review. One feature I have thought of is a sort of get to know your supplier. All companies will be offered the chance to be featured in this section and they will be able to give you a bit of background, history etc about the company. One company would be featured per issue so one issue would be Gardiners pole systems and next ionics and then maybe pure freedom, broadex, unger etc. All would be welcome. 
Why not produce some sort of e-zine...say on a bi-monthly or quaterly basis...

I would love to help...I am no great author or anything like that but there are a number of Dutch companies doing various things with WFP and I could be 'our man over there'....

Cheers
Dave.

Dave, I did consider an ezine but thought about it and decided that a magazine would be better because 1. You can take your mag to work and read it lunch times 2. Not everyone has the technical ability to download ezines and some may not even have access to a computer. 3. Hopefully suppliers could be persuaded to stock it.  Some one starting out may not search online for a mag about window cleaning but the chances are they will visit a cleaning equipment supplier eg express. With regards to you writing articles YES YES YES! your idea about being our man with the news of the dutch  I love it! That is the kind of things that would really be interesting to find out about. Personally I know nothing about the dutch developments and would love to know more.
I used to be a desk-top publishing assistant, so if anyone would like to colaborate on a magazine, I would be more than happy to help.

we would need...

Copywriter  (to check spelling, grammar, facts etc...)
Graphic Designer (to design the major components of the magazine design)
Desk Top Publisher (to layout text / images in a compatable way for the printers)
Canvasser (for advertisers so we can afford to have it printed)
Article writers (got something you would like to share with other WC's?)

Whoops, just noticed the post by WCE.  Contact him to add articles.
Sanity, You could be just the man i am looking for! I will be in touch!
Any offers of help are greatly received, Keep them coming and don't forget if you want to see a magazine that is written by us (window cleaners) for us then keep those emails coming!(wce@sky.com) It will take me a while to get through them all but the more support I get the quicker I can get this baby of the ground!
Pete ;)     
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

WCE

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 06:29:53 pm »
Matt read jeff1's post on will this affect the future of w/cing

WCE

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 07:08:19 pm »
I'd like any w/c magazine to have a personal column - wants/for sale/swap/readers wives etc.
I wouldn't mind having a classifieds section for sales/swaps/wanted my only concern would be that as the mag would be bi-monthly at most would people bother advertising there? As for the readers wifes love it! LoL!

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 07:08:59 pm »
I have signed up for the pwc mag many times, am still yet to get more than one copy god knows how long ago I have given up trying now.

A pro mag would be very good as I have already said as long as people that ask for it get it.

Ian

WCE

Re: Professional Window cleaner Magazine rival publication
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 07:13:23 pm »
I have signed up for the pwc mag many times, am still yet to get more than one copy god knows how long ago I have given up trying now.

A pro mag would be very good as I have already said as long as people that ask for it get it.

Ian
I can understand your concerns about not receiving it (Although I have never had that problem- The answer is request an ionics cat by the way) I think to begin with it would have to be sold on an issue by issue basis and only look into subscriptions when the demand has been proved.

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 07:15:51 pm »

Ian
I can understand your concerns about not receiving it (Although I have never had that problem- The answer is request an ionics cat by the way) I think to begin with it would have to be sold on an issue by issue basis and only look into subscriptions when the demand has been proved.
put me down for the first 6 issues I will be your first customer  ;)

Maybe get a free advert for design for being customer number 1  ;)

WCE

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 07:21:35 pm »

Ian
put me down for the first 6 issues I will be your first customer  ;)

Maybe get a free advert for design for being customer number 1  ;)
I will add you to the ever growing list of interested people
How about you write an article about using the web as a promotional tool!

WCE

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 07:25:49 pm »
One thing I forgot to ask is does anyone have any suggestions as to what my mag could be called?

matt

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 07:31:40 pm »
Quote from: WCE link=topic=54077.msg456414date=1208971727
its a good idea, its also the same idea that philip hanson had a few years back, great in theory
[/quote
Matt, yes he may of had the same idea but what went wrong and how did Ionics come to take it over? Judging by my inbox the interest is there and people really do want an unbiased magazine. I would be interested to know what went wrong with the original plan as I don't want to make the same mistakes.   

allegedly  ( my disclaimer ;))

Philip had the idea, he of course had to sell adverts, contacted all the suppliers, ionics came in and had a few pages in the mag, the mag didnt sell enough adverts to others which was going to mean no mag, so ionics made philip a offer to work for them ( this was all  hush hush ), he took it, thus the rest is history

WCE

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 07:38:44 pm »
[/quote

Philip had the idea, he of course had to sell adverts, contacted all the suppliers, ionics came in and had a few pages in the mag, the mag didnt sell enough adverts to others which was going to mean no mag, so ionics made philip a offer to work for them ( this was all behind doors and hush hush ), he took it, thus the rest is history

Thanks for explaining that. I never saw the mag in it's original form and didn't know anything about the background of how Ionics got involved. Did Phillip do it for profit? (i mean set the mag up in the first place) I have been on to some printers who have given me an idea to cost. I don't want to make money from it BUT it does need to cover it's costs. The amount of emails I have had about it just shows the interest is there and I can say that I need a few more people to say they would be interested in it (It will not be free). I have an idea of the number of people I need to buy an issue to break even and wouldn't need advertisers to cover those costs. It can be done!  The advertisers attracted would allow me to expand the content etc without having to dip into the sales revenue but the mag could actually stand alone without advertising providing the support ie readers were  there.  keep Emailing!

jeff1

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 07:40:36 pm »
One thing I forgot to ask is does anyone have any suggestions as to what my mag could be called?

The True Window Cleaners Mag

I'm all for an un-biased w/c mag, but please remember the time that will be eaten up by you producing it will be very large, don't let it affect your means of making a living.

If the mag does take off, let me know and we will give you plenty of advertising on the T/A forum

Sanity

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 07:41:14 pm »
How about:

'Squeegee'
'The Formby'  ;)
'Widow Cleaners Quarterly / Monthly'
'Not today thanks'

Oh, and getting a magazine printed is dead cheap too (from £550 for 8 pages on glossy paper with cover full colour for 1000 copies).  

We could take adverts from ALL people / businesses involved in window cleaning, not just Ionics.

WFP suppliers
Trad suppliers
Web Designers
Insurance companies,
Vehicle suppliers / fitters
Graphics companies
Safety clothing suppliers

Could include...

Articles about WFP
Articles about Trad
Tips & Tricks
Letters to the Editor
Wanted / for sale / swapshop sections
News / legislation
Product reviews

Sound good?

With enough advertisers, it could pay for a living for a couple of people anyhow.  Maybe a couple of people would have to produce it as a part-time job ( editor / designer / advert canvasser at least)

Economic viability of it would have to be assessed, including competatve advertising rates to cover production costs / renumeration.

(I used 'we' because I would like to be involved in the production / editorial side of the mag, if that is viable :) )

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 07:42:51 pm »
Why do I not get these mags anymore?? Anyone want to send me their copy when they've finished it? Don't understand why I don't get it anymore.

jeff1

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 07:44:48 pm »
Why do I not get these mags anymore?? Anyone want to send me their copy when they've finished it? Don't understand why I don't get it anymore.
Order there catalouge and you will get there mag.

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 07:48:11 pm »
I think this is a good idea. Any mag has to have some bias, but if you left  the content fairly open then the criteria could be what is of interest, or expressed in a colourfull way. Would I be allowed to write an article about buying one of my franchises?

I'm not having a lot of luck on here and now vince has outed me i'm going to have to come up with some new ideas for conning people >:(

I think an emag would be good and easier to produce. As always the income stream is a problem.

Just read sanitys post so 10k of mags would cost 5k, so would need £5k per issue.

matt

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 07:50:43 pm »
Order there catalouge and you will get there mag.

i got a cataouge a few weeks ago, i thought it was the mag  ;D ;D

WCE

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 07:53:56 pm »

The True Window Cleaners Mag

I'm all for an un-biased w/c mag, but please remember the time that will be eaten up by you producing it will be very large, don't let it affect your means of making a living.

If the mag does take off, let me know and we will give you plenty of advertising on the T/A forum
I understand the time factor has got to be taken into account but thats partly why I would limit the issues per year. By the way I applied to your forum but haven"t heard nothing back!
How about:

'Squeegee'
'The Formby'  ;)
'Widow Cleaners Quarterly / Monthly'
'Not today thanks'

Oh, and getting a magazine printed is dead cheap too (from £550 for 8 pages on glossy paper with cover full colour for 1000 copies). 

We could take adverts from ALL people / businesses involved in window cleaning, not just Ionics.

WFP suppliers
Trad suppliers
Web Designers
Insurance companies,
Vehicle suppliers / fitters
Graphics companies
Safety clothing suppliers

Could include...

Articles about WFP
Articles about Trad
Tips & Tricks
Letters to the Editor
Wanted / for sale / swapshop sections
News / legislation
Product reviews

Sound good?

With enough advertisers, it could pay for a living for a couple of people anyhow.  Maybe a couple of people would have to produce it as a part-time job ( editor / designer / advert canvasser at least)

Economic viability of it would have to be assessed, including competatve advertising rates to cover production costs / renumeration.

(I used 'we' because I would like to be involved in the production / editorial side of the mag, if that is viable :) )

Sanity I have found printers 200 Cheaper than that. I can get 20 pages for not much more than the price you quoted. Also with regards to advertising, Yes I want people to advertise and anyone will be welcome to advertise in the mag but regarding  the costs
[/quote

Philip had the idea, he of course had to sell adverts, contacted all the suppliers, ionics came in and had a few pages in the mag, the mag didnt sell enough adverts to others which was going to mean no mag, so ionics made philip a offer to work for them ( this was all behind doors and hush hush ), he took it, thus the rest is history

Thanks for explaining that. I never saw the mag in it's original form and didn't know anything about the background of how Ionics got involved. Did Phillip do it for profit? (i mean set the mag up in the first place) I have been on to some printers who have given me an idea to cost. I don't want to make money from it BUT it does need to cover it's costs. The amount of emails I have had about it just shows the interest is there and I can say that I need a few more people to say they would be interested in it (It will not be free). I have an idea of the number of people I need to buy an issue to break even and wouldn't need advertisers to cover those costs. It can be done!  The advertisers attracted would allow me to expand the content etc without having to dip into the sales revenue but the mag could actually stand alone without advertising providing the support ie readers were  there.  keep Emailing!
I think you may of missed this.
As for your offer to assist with the project Yes please! Email me your details and I will get back to you with all the information I have so far 

WCE

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 07:57:01 pm »
I think this is a good idea. Any mag has to have some bias, but if you left  the content fairly open then the criteria could be what is of interest, or expressed in a colourfull way. Would I be allowed to write an article about buying one of my franchises?

I'm not having a lot of luck on here and now vince has outed me i'm going to have to come up with some new ideas for conning people >:(

I think an emag would be good and easier to produce. As always the income stream is a problem.

Just read sanitys post so 10k of mags would cost 5k, so would need £5k per issue.
No the cost drops with volume. Out of interest I enquired how much it would be for a print run of 100 and was quoted 509.90 or 5.10 per mag! 

matt

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 07:57:26 pm »
i guess he set out to make money from it

allegedly

i know he was a window cleaner at the time, from what followed he allegedly stopped doing his window cleaning to become a employer of ionics ( so i guess he done ok out of it )

BUT

what price your soul  :P :P :P

matt

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 07:58:58 pm »
I think this is a good idea. Any mag has to have some bias, but if you left  the content fairly open then the criteria could be what is of interest, or expressed in a colourfull way. Would I be allowed to write an article about buying one of my franchises?

No the cost drops with volume. Out of interest I enquired how much it would be for a print run of 100 and was quoted 509.90 or 5.10 per mag! 

i guess if you sold adverts to make up 2 / 3 quid a issue you have a go'er

then you might also have a phone call to join them  :P :P :P