[GQC] Tim

The OFFICIAL SL-X Review Thread.
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:19:48 am »
I'm sure that once everyone has their poles, they want to share their opinions, pictures, and pole comparisons. Rather then everyone making a single thread, we could post here, and keep it all together.

Gardiner Pole Systems SL-X

www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Gardiner_Pole_Systems_SL-X.html

Dave, I hope you don't mind, I just added your experience with it.

Quote from: Dave morris @ st-ives

Got on good with the pole today, I dont entirely know what to make of it yet as it not like any other pole I have used at this height.
I am used to using clapped out floppy excell poles, this pole is very stiff so I have to change my technique slightly to get used to the handling characteristics.

Held out 90 Degrees there is virtually no bend at all. The pole  feels a similar weight to a 20 ft excell even though the sl-x is 25 ft

The pole feels well engineered.

The only draw back for me, Which is only a slight draw back is the clamps, even though they are well engineered, they feel a bit cumbersome and i  knocked my hands on them occassionally, I suppose they just need getting used to as they operate vertical as opposed to horizontal on the excell, and are completely different to anything i have used before.

They also require more force to opporate than we are used to.

My wife used the pole most of the day and overall she was impressed, the thought of no fibre glass splinters impressed her most

One good thing is that the pole doesnt rely on the clamps as stops for the next section, the clamps stop about an inch or so apart.

The pole is quite expensive, but I suppose all carbon poles are.

The good points about the pole is that the sections are painted red to show where the maximum each pole should be extended, which is something sadly missing on excells as the  the tapes fail and you just have to guess where the ends are.

I found the sections quite easy to remove, just a slight twisting movement managed to remove them even though i was told an allen key was required.

So far I would give this pole 8+ 1/2  out of 10, I would give it 10 if the clamps were less noticeable, not visually but if they required less thinking about.

My wife gave it 9 out of 10.

I hope this gives an honest opinion, dont just rely on what i say though, others might give different opinions.

Do I regret buying this pole ? No

Do I like the price tag ? No

Can I afford it ? Yes, so why not.

Is the pole good ? Yes

Does it perform miracles ? No

Captain Scarlet

Re: The OFFICIAL SL-X Review Thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:07:24 am »
Good idea, when I get it I will add to this post, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

The Seven Bays Window Cleaning Company

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 06:54:55 pm »
Collected mine today with the new brush...

Just had washed my windows with it - and for me ( as I've never used a carbon fiber pole before) it was pure pleasure.

Very light, super stiff, and brush cleaned great .

I could instantly tell that I was using a LOT less effort in cleaning, and the pole felt right when holding it, and working with me - as opposed to fighting with the weight, and flex of the glass poles.

I  like the clamps - they have a good quality, long lasting feel about them.

The whole package with gooseneck, and brush looks and feels very professional- with a nice set of decals on the pole, and brush.

Looking forward to tomorrow's cleans !

Well done Alex. :)
THE SEVEN BAYS WINDOW CLEANING COMPANY

jouk45

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:35:25 pm »
hi is anyone else having problems posting pics, keeps saying internal error cleanitup port 80 trying to post a pic of the claps, managed it lol 

Ian_Giles

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:32:32 am »
Please take note of the topic title....

All other replies will be removed if they do not stay on topic, if you wish to ask Alex about your order then contact him directly.

This thread is for you users who already HAVE the pole to review it.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:48:44 am »
Ian, why did you remove Alex's pictures?!!!!!!!  ???  :-X

Of course he's not a customer, but c'mon.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 12:24:44 pm »
Just returned from a mornings cleaning with the new brush and pole.

Without doubt ( compared to what I have been previously using) I'm quicker, less tired - and interestingly have used a lot less water !!

At first the brush has taken some getting used to, as I'm used to using mainly a Cleantec brush that is heavy, and has pretty stiff bristles.

The New Gardiner's brush is VERY light, and the bristles  splay out with ease. No problem in this, just took some getting used too, altered my technique slightly - Bingo - quicker, more efficient cleaning and less water used.

Is the brush going to be durable? Probally won't last as long as some of the stiffer, heavier brushes - but this is a light brush, that cleans with ease, that I would expect to last for a reasonable amount of time  - and yes it looks and works a lot better than the Bentley.

I think Alex has put a lot of thinking, and effort into these two products - and deserves due credit for them.

I wouldn't fancy designing them, let alone producing them -

So, in my opinion the brush and pole are well worth the money.

You use this kit every day, your income depends on your tools - buy the best  !!!

TDW

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 01:32:56 pm »
GQC
I imagine hes taken them off because the brush has been recalled. Apparently the bristles weren't the correct spec. I'm sure Alec will explain.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 02:17:04 pm »
Yes, they have been recalled.

I imagine the bristles may have been to soft - even so, I still thought it cleaned well for maintanance cleans.

TDW

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:42:43 pm »
Jouk
I think you will get deleted as this isn't a slx review.

jouk45

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:45:04 pm »
ok i removed it, will post in another section

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 06:19:14 pm »
Going to need some care on conservatory roof edges with those clamps me thinks.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 06:20:42 pm »
DJW

Thats a good observation, I gave one a clout today, luckily no damage

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 06:31:40 pm »
Is there a screw that goes through the ring of the clamp and the carbon fibre? Can they be flipped for right handed/left handed users?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 07:13:22 pm »
Is there a screw that goes through the ring of the clamp and the carbon fibre? Can they be flipped for right handed/left handed users?

No, they can't be flipped. In use the clamp handle is on the bottom of the pole so you can easily either reach your left thumb to operate it (if you're right handed) or your right index finger if you're left handed.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 07:30:23 pm »

No, they can't be flipped. In use the clamp handle is on the bottom of the pole so you can easily either reach your left thumb to operate it (if you're right handed) or your right index finger if you're left handed.

The bottom of the pole you say?  :-[  :-[

I thought they were supposed to go on the top, hey, it worked for me perfectly, I'm used to the x-tel clamps LOL.  ;D

TDW

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 07:45:04 pm »
Because the pole is rigid it will be easier to control so the clamps shouldn't catch so much.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 08:11:34 pm »
If the brush is wrong how long will it be before you get the new batch,it shouldn`t take them long if they only have to use a different material ie bristle should it.

TDW

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 08:28:01 pm »
I was told it might be a while because they may have to change supplier, but dont quote me.

Kev R

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 08:33:17 pm »
 The clamps look like the ones on the saddle stem of my mountain bike. Are they alloy please?