Feen

Re: Is it HOT in here,.. or is it just me?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 08:03:47 pm »
Ian, Thanks for that.
Feen

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 09:21:14 pm »
dont know if its true, but I've been told that the pump has a max working temp, above that the seals go or something

Most pumps will survive temps of 60 deg C, but check your pump first to be sure. I'm going to place the pump before the heater anyway, so I'll only ever have cold water going through it.

I will have a bypass valve fitted, so I can re-circulate hot water back to the main tank, but this will just be used on very cold nights. A temp of 25 deg C over 400 litres would be plenty enough to keep the van frost free overnight.

As for running costs,.. I'm told by someone with a similar system approx £1 per day. Gas bottles cost €25 by me, so I expect to get 3 weeks out of a bottle minimum,... probably double that since I won't use the heater on regular cleans. I do get a lot of one off's and irregular commercial stuff where hot would be an advantage to me personally though.

The law in Ireland for carrying a gas cylinder in a vehicle is very basic. Once the cylinder is secured and upright, thats all you need. In the UK, warning stickers must be displayed prominently on the outside of the vehicle to warn emergency services in the event of an accident etc,... and I personally will be putting stickers on my van even though I don't have to,... its just sensible IMO.

As for fitting it,... as has been said,.. water only leaks,.. Gas explodes,.. I'm going to take the safe option and get a pro to do it for me!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 10:06:18 pm »
Yea I can really see hot wfp working on first cleans, with minging frames, and green upvc, also conservatory roofs would cut through the grime very easily.

I think in 2 years time many many people on here will be hot wfp, either diy or retrofit. In the beginning people were supersceptic about wfp. Now almost everyone on here has it. I think the high cost of retrofit would put a lot of people off, but if we can have more people like mr. Jones here, then DIY might be a lot more explained on the forums, and easier to do.

Am I right in saying Nathanael, that a Propane heater is much much easier to DIY install then a Diesel heater? Or is the difference not that big? I'd say it sounds easier, doesn't diesel need an exhaust pipe aswell or something? Or is it not combustion type heating? I'm sure it's not, but just a bit confused, there's not a lot of stuff to go on.

What would you say helped you learn about hot wfp? Do you have any favorite threads on here, or articles to read that explains things?

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Could you perhaps snap some pics when installing it? Just to give us on here an idea how it looks like etc?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 10:19:53 pm »
The diesel heaters require a fuel line and pump installed, an exhaust modification, and draw power from your leisure battery when running. Its a job for a professional fitter really, unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

The other disadvantage it that they have a fixed heat output, and don't switch on and off automatically with water flow (They have their own inbuilt pump), so it would have to be used in conjunction with a small calorifier tank, or something similar.

I'm not saying diesel heaters are bad,... just harder to install, and more complex to setup,.. as well as more costly. In the long run the running costs may be lower, but I can't be sure on that.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 10:25:34 pm »
nathan,regardless of my views on "HOT" i find your open attitude to sharing your knowledge with others on the forum refreshing its been very interesting to actually read some practical info  ;D :) nice one

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 10:27:43 pm »
Yeah Nathan, would like to commend you on that, its true, your a grat forum user!! Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 10:31:51 pm »
LOL,... isn't that what forums are for,..... opinions are useful,... but information is essential.

Clear Vision

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 10:49:26 pm »
I will be very interested to hear how it goes.

I plan to go hot within the next few months.

Keep us posted

steve m

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 11:01:29 pm »
if you put the heater after the pump it defeats the object of stopping the water freezing

pjulk

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 11:05:34 pm »
Thats what i was thinking and would it affect the pressure after the pump.

I would want it before the pump and a bypass back to tank at the pump that way the tank will slowly get warmed up also

Paul

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 11:52:05 pm »
Thats what i was thinking and would it affect the pressure after the pump.

I would want it before the pump and a bypass back to tank at the pump that way the tank will slowly get warmed up also

Paul

The heater has a high enough max flow rate (10 litres a minute) that it will not restrict the flow or affect the pressure when placed after the pump. This isn't theory,.. its tried and tested. Also, hot water through your pump will damage your pump,... most WFP pumps are rated to only 40 deg C,.. some to 60 deg C.

I will be fitting the heater with a bypass valve. On a cold night I will simply flick the valve and recycle the heated water back into the main tank until it reaches 25 odd deg Celcius. Its not hot,... but when its over a few hundred litres, it will take 24 hours at least to cool completely, so it'll act as one big radiator in the van overnight, and protect all my gear from frost.

geefree

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 11:54:56 pm »
How do you make a DIY hot water system. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cue ??????????

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 11:57:45 pm »
How do you make a DIY hot water system. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cue ??????????
I'll post some pics next week and show you!!

;D ;D ;D

pjulk

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2008, 01:02:41 am »
so it'll act as one big radiator in the van overnight, and protect all my gear from frost.

Now i see can't wait to see the pics when you do it

Paul

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 11:08:20 pm »
The heater arrived today,.. too dark to take pics tho! I'm just waiting on the thermoststic valve and I can get it all installed!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 01:22:27 am »
The heater arrived today,.. too dark to take pics tho! I'm just waiting on the thermoststic valve and I can get it all installed!

Sweet, let us know please. :)

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 07:32:59 pm »
Yeah excited now! Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 08:46:07 pm »
Well,.. did a couple of houses with it today,... and I'm starting to change my mind about using hot only on commercial and first cleans. I was pleasantly surprised at the difference it makes, especially on regular work where I wasn't expecting it. I had the heat turned down quite low today, as I don't have the inline thermometer or the thermostatic mixing valve installed yet,.. It was warm to the touch,.. I'd guess at 25 deg C or so.

Hot makes a HUGE difference to bird muck and spider spots,... and the hose is so much easier to work with too.

The van is far from finished, I'll be putting in more shelving and getting the floor done soon,... so excuse the mess in the photo!

I'm also trying to source some kind of heatproof/weatherproof exhaust to go up through the van roof,.. at the moment I can only run the heater with the van doors open.

I've posted more pics on ACS too,... I'll copy them here later,.. but have to put the little 'un to bed now!

steven ainger

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 08:56:07 pm »
looks good nat, how much do you think it is going to cost you all in when youve finished

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 08:58:05 pm »
looks good nat, how much do you think it is going to cost you all in when youve finished
The heater cost €106 plus postage, I opted for the expensive but quick postage, but they do a service for only $42 if you're willing to wait a few weeks for delivery!
The gas bottle cost €28, the gas regulator and hose €23, The thermostatic mixing vale was £25 inc shipping off ebay, a few connectors & plumbing fittings prob an extra €40. Then I got a sheet of galvanised metal for the inside of the van as a fireproof backing to fix the heater onto,... a 1 mtr by 2mtr sheet cost me €16.20 from the local builders co-op.

All in all,... VERY cheap!!!