Nathanael Jones

Is it HOT in here,.. or is it just me?
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:50:38 pm »
Well,.. I've been reading about it for ages, and been learning from the pioneers of DIY hot (Thank you Mr Solubility!),.. and I've finally decided to take the plunge.
My heater is ordered, I've a registered gas installer lined up to fit it in my van, and I'm even getting a logo designed for the vehicle livery to promote the new "HOT" system!
The costs are actually surprisingly small so far,.. especially when compared to a branded hot retrofit,.. but I've still a few more bits and pieces to buy.

Wayne Thomas

Re: Is it HOT in here,.. or is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:00:59 am »
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your new hot system out of curiosity.

rhys11

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 12:39:10 am »
Well,.. I've been reading about it for ages, and been learning from the pioneers of DIY hot (Thank you Mr Solubility!),.. and I've finally decided to take the plunge.
My heater is ordered, I've a registered gas installer lined up to fit it in my van, and I'm even getting a logo designed for the vehicle livery to promote the new "HOT" system!
The costs are actually surprisingly small so far,.. especially when compared to a branded hot retrofit,.. but I've still a few more bits and pieces to buy.

hi there

where are you ordering the parts from and what elce do you need to make it work ??

rhys
rhys

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:48:45 am »
What heater are you going with? :)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 08:23:30 am »
I went for this one:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120223665571&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002
It'll handle 100 PSI pressure no prob, has a VERY low minimum flow rate, can be connected to a flue and vented outside the vehicle (unlike many of these type of heaters), and lets face it,... its really really cheap! With the express shipping included, it cost me €206!!!

There have been comments that this heater doesn't have a CE mark,.. but I did a bit of research, and it doesn't seem to be a legal requirement for propane powered heaters, and it does have ISO 9001 and UKAS accreditation, so I'm willing to try it.
 Its 62,000 BTU at max output, so it'd easily heat a 2 man setup. I'll be using it turned down very lov, and with a thermostatic check valve in place too!

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 02:13:37 pm »
you know you dont need a gas fitter to do the connecting dont you?

pjulk

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 04:33:48 pm »
Thats a great idea that heater let us know how it goes.

May get one myself.

Paul

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 04:56:25 pm »
you know you dont need a gas fitter to do the connecting dont you?
I thought it was the law? That being said,... there's millions of gas BBQ's in the world that don't need a pro to connect up the pipe, and this is hardly different. I've a buddy who is qualified anyway, so I'll get him to do it,... but if it isn't a legal requirement it would be good to know.

steven ainger

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 05:09:43 pm »
there must be laws about the carring of lpg of this type, does anyone know what they are. also how long do you think the gas will last and how much does it cost etc, im quite interested in this subject and it would be interesting to know some details

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 05:38:33 pm »
the law states, as long as you are competent you can do it your self

but the term competent cannot be quantified, your just tightening a few nuts bolts etc etc, its not different from connecting the screw to barb to your pump with some ptfe, you see no water leak, you see no problem

matt

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 05:40:34 pm »
its the same as fitting the pipe to your BBQ regulator

the law sates you have to have warning triangles aswell

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 06:05:35 pm »
looks like just the job. but will you be replacing gas bottles all the time?

jampot

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 06:31:38 pm »
sounds a great idea. let us know how you get on. whats the running costs? and how long will the gas last?

Dean Aspects

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 06:33:06 pm »
I'm so jealous i want hot water system and i want it now its so unfair

Dean

steve m

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 06:54:34 pm »
dont know if its true, but I've been told that the pump has a max working temp, above that the seals go or something

matt

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 07:08:33 pm »
dont know if its true, but I've been told that the pump has a max working temp, above that the seals go or something

it must be below the temps we want, as how does the other hot water systems work ?? ? ?

Feen

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 07:49:29 pm »
Hot system. What's the point? I'm not knocking it, I just want to know :) I've just been reading the thread that asks if wfp cleaned windows really stay cleaner longer. The consensus seems to be no. So what are the (supposed) benefits of a hot system? Surely this is not another case of over complicating the business of cleaning windows.
Feen

Ian Rochester

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 07:55:30 pm »
The main point of a hot system is for days like this last week where the water froze in the pipes, on the brush head and on the windows.  We couldn't get out to do any wfp work before 10:30am on Monday/Tuesday or Wednesday, cost to the business........several hundred pounds.

Would it be possible to fit a heater into the main water tank and heat the whole tank of water instead of putting it in-line?

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 08:02:13 pm »
there is no need for the Heated water to pass through the pump,
 you have it like this:
tank hose pump hose heater hose reel

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 08:03:27 pm »
the law states, as long as you are competent you can do it your self

but the term competent cannot be quantified, your just tightening a few nuts bolts etc etc, its not different from connecting the screw to barb to your pump with some ptfe, you see no water leak, you see no problem
if the pump leaks stuff gets wet ...it dont go bang ....not stirring up trouble just my opinion
Hot system. What's the point? I'm not knocking it, I just want to know :) I've just been reading the thread that asks if wfp cleaned windows really stay cleaner longer. The consensus seems to be no. So what are the (supposed) benefits of a hot system? Surely this is not another case of over complicating the business of cleaning windows.
thats pretty much my opinion too